Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I don't believe there is anything funny about that. These people haven't been taught about recoil or safety. The girl that had the scope hit her in the eye my require stitches. When I taught my wife how to shoot a mag I showed her where to put her hands. what would happen when the revolver went off. No surprises and NO injuries. These people my never fire a shotgun or pistol again. And I think that's sad were suppose to in encourage the shooting sports. " This is my opinion"

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Nearly anything is funny when it happens to someone else.

I can laugh (and cringe) at the idiots who hurt themselves and laugh even harder at the ones who do so with foreknowledge that it might end badly - but the cases where someone knowingly puts someone else in harm's way just make me mad.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
the shooters are innocent in most of the clips, its the people who handed them the guns that are the idiots

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Setting up someone for failure like that is very dangerous and could have fatal consequences. All humor aside, the people that handed the guns to the shooters shouldn't have guns themselves until they learn to respect them and learn about safety.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I have to wonder who is more stupid: the person pulling the trigger or the person standing behind the camera allowing the other to pull the trigger and possibly harm themselves and others around them and then laugh about it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
+1000 to all the above. We now have additional people who are scared of guns because they were not taught correctly how to use them. Some of these people may vote for your future rights.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Several years back (this happened in California when it was still free) I took a friend and his wife shooting in some of the canyons just outside of Camp Penilton. They had a couple of 22 I had my super Blackhawk and a Marlin 44 lever acton. After shooting for awhile his wife asked to shoot the Blackhawk. I informed her that it had a bit of a kick, sat her down told her to rest her arms on her knees and hold the gun straight out. Turned to say something to he husband, looked back at her and she had pulled the gun back so the hammer was resting right between her eyes. Luckily I was able to get to her before she pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
+1000 to all the above. We now have additional people who are scared of guns because they were not taught correctly how to use them. Some of these people may vote for your future rights.
Exactly.

·
VRWC Charter Member
2,008 Posts
Several years back (this happened in California when it was still free) I took a friend and his wife shooting in some of the canyons just outside of Camp Penilton. They had a couple of 22 I had my super Blackhawk and a Marlin 44 lever acton. After shooting for awhile his wife asked to shoot the Blackhawk. I informed her that it had a bit of a kick, sat her down told her to rest her arms on her knees and hold the gun straight out. Turned to say something to he husband, looked back at her and she had pulled the gun back so the hammer was resting right between her eyes. Luckily I was able to get to her before she pulled the trigger.
Yikes! Glad you caught her!

The lesson learned, everyone?
NEVER take your eye off of the novice. Not for one second.
If you are teaching a novice, they deserve your undivided attention. PERIOD.

JMHO, of course.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mr Chubbs. You are right on as usual. Remember the girl who killed her firearms instructor at a machine gun range a year or so ago. She had the instructor's undivided attention until she killed him when the full auto Uzi she was shooting rose up and shot him in the head. He had never had her fire it single shot so she understood the recoil. That girl is going to have nightmares for life and probably will vote for Hillary.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Didn't need to finish watching it because I pretty much seen all them clips already. I wouldn't call the shooters at Saheed's reloading shop who are shooting the .577 TRex rifle "stupid" because they are willingly shooting a gun they know it going to have a huge recoil. In fact the nickname that gun has at the shop is "the flying rifle". If anything they are just typical alpha males who think shooting a big gun makes them more manly. WRONG! If you have to try and prove you're a man, you were never one to begin with.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Video's like these may really be of some value to new people going through a firearms safety course. Not for any comical reason's but to highlight the obvious errors...just a thought.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Many years back I had one that was much like the two gals getting knocked
over with the shot gun. My ex wanted to shoot my 870 so I started to tell
her about stance and how to hold it. She said "I KNOW HOW TO DO THAT!"
I positioned myself behind her and when she shot, I caught her before she
was too far over.

The funny part was her reaction. She turned to me, handed back the 870,
and walked away. She NEVER ask to shoot it again. ;) She did .22 pistols,
but never the shot gun. She sure "knew". :rolleyes:
(Daughter was the opposite. LISTENED, followed directions, does very well.)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Setting up someone for failure like that is very dangerous and could have fatal consequences. All humor aside, the people that handed the guns to the shooters shouldn't have guns themselves until they learn to respect them and learn about safety.
+1

It's fun to watch, but these "instructors" have gotten too comfortable with guns. Guns fit the same category as power-tools, people who get too comfortable with saws usually loose fingers... with guns it can get more serious.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
When I take a shooter new to me into the range I always give the full safety instruction over coffee before going then again in real time while preparing to shoot. Never, ever do I allow more than one round to be loaded until I am confident the individual can safely handle the firearm.

·
Registered
951 Posts
When I take a shooter new to me into the range I always give the full safety instruction over coffee before going then again in real time while preparing to shoot. Never, ever do I allow more than one round to be loaded until I am confident the individual can safely handle the firearm.
And you receive the same safety instructions from them first?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Don't know if it's true, but have read that the recoil of the big [email protected] causes it to cock and fire before an inexperienced shooter can let off the trigger. Until you master them, strictly one round at a time in cylinder.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
I used these YouTube videos as part of the instruction when I taught my sister how to shoot. They are a great way to safely (for the viewer, anyway) show what NOT to do.

Still, I cringe when I see them, because each one shows a situation that could have easily resulted in death or serious injury.

Jim

1 - 20 of 26 Posts