Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it about hollow points that seems to cause such a problem in some .22 semi pistols? Is it the bluntness caused by the hollow point itself?
(I'm new to .22 pistols and have so far used only solids, so I have no experience with this)

·
Registered
102 Posts
HP's don't have the smooth/rounded tip of solids, so sometimes the blunt edges of the hp tip hits the feed ramp in such a way that it gets stuck... resulting in a FTF (feed). Doesn't happen much, but anything happens with 22lr stuff. Personally no problems running hp thru my SR22.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Rugar 22/45 and I have had no problems running hp though it. Where I have the problem is with bullets that have a ledge around the base of the bullet where it goes into the shell case it sometimes does not feed properly and jams when chamber img. But I have had no problems with hp feeding in my Rugar
22/45 at all.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I recall a post by a guy who had a MKIII Hunter that refused to eat HPs. Ironic given that HPs are what you're likely hunting with.

Most bulk ammo is HP and they've always worked fine in my MKIII. Though I have to add that bulk HPs sure don't look like true HPs. If you look at a CCI MiniMag HP you see a deep & well-defined hollow on them. The bulk stuff has a much smaller & irregular hollow that varies from round to round. I'm thinking that smaller hollow (making it more like a round nose) might allow such cheap bulk stuff to feed better in some autos.

Keep in mind this situation isn't unique to .22LR. There was a time when it was typical for semi-auto pistols to have difficulty with anything other than hard ball ammo. This wasn't a problem for the military that was required by convention to shoot the enemy with hardball, so that's all their 1911 was allowed to eat anyhow.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've seen a 22/45 have trouble chambering rounds at the range. I gave the owner some of my bulk HPs to try and the worked great. I've only ran HPs through me SR22 and never had any issue.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'll let everyone know how mine works after I've had a chance to put some rounds through it when I get off layaway.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Don't think you should have a problem.
Keep us up to speed.
P.S. No stupid questions here, the only ones are the ones you don't ask..... ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts