Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a used LC9 (not S) the other day and tried to rack it and it kind of surprised me. There was so little resistance it was close to nonexistent. I think I could have racked it with two fingers if I'd wanted to. Now, my only experience with racking is with the SR9C which was a little monster to rack at first but has smoothed out considerably, and my two 1911's.

Is this the sign of a problem or just one of those variations that happens? I realize the LC9S is supposed to be much better but this had a nice trigger and came with the laser at a really good price. Still thinking about it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
That's a good question.

Watching Hickok45 YT videos and him racking the slide on his Glocks with two finger surprised the heck out of me. Mebbe he's got some really strong fingers.

Got to agree with you on the SR series. My 9E is a bear to rack with the few, wide serrations and I got strong hands and grip.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I can rack my LC9s with my thumb and index finger. It requires less force than my SR9c and perhaps a bit more than my LCP.

My LC9s has more than we 1500 rounds fired with the original spring. I'm thinking of ordering a new spring and save this one as a backup.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
As a general rule of thumb recoil springs last a LONG time.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I am pretty sure Hickok45 is running the same 20 lb captured spring I am running. Despite the 20 lb spring a Glock has great ergonomics and it is very easy to rack the slide. Two fingers on the area around the rear sight and almost anyone can rack the slide.

You can check Wolff Springs site. They have spring sets for just about all popular Rugers and tell you the stock spring rate or just Google recoil spring weight for LC9.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is all good stuff. I'm going to go back this weekend and take another look. Doesn't sound like a deal breaker anyway.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
This is all good stuff. I'm going to go back this weekend and take another look. Doesn't sound like a deal breaker anyway.

Thanks!
Be very sure that you are comfortable with the original trigger on the LC9. Should you decide later that you don't like it; the cost to get a better trigger could well be more than getting the striker version now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts