Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone new to the forums and new to the 10//22 but not new to a range of ruger products. my goal with this rifle is to improve accuracy and and reliability among other things. I've been reading a ton of reviews and post among these forums and am more unsure more then ever on where to start. what I do know is want a bull barrel and stick with a traditional wood stock. I've looked at a ton of beautiful walnut stocks but unsure of who to go with. I know there are a million ways to go and brands. what are your thoughts. keep in mind I'm not a big tactical guy. classic styling is where I'm at

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Welcome to the show!

Which version of the 10/22 do you have?

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
A modification I always appreciate is the auto-bolt mod. You can do it yourself or buy the part. I like the ease of the bolt release.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bolt buffer. They replace the rear crosspin in the receiver and are cheap and make a world of difference

·
Registered
444 Posts
Volquartsen Exact Edge extractor. Cheap, easy to install and improves the action.

I swapped out the stock charging handle in favor of one from Kidd, along with a Kidd guide rod & spring. Kidd also sells a nice bolt buffer. All these were worth while upgrades.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Kidd trigger I have a single stage set at 2 pounds they are expensive at around $200.00 I have no regrets best 200, spent on firearms in a long time!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
seem kidd is the way to go. I was thinking of getting the trigger kit and the springs also the blued ultralight barel, rod and spring and new bolt handle. what about nice wood stocks?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Send the trigger off to Brimstone and get a trigger job. He offers 3 levels with the lowest being quite nice for a stock, polished trigger.

I had him do 2 of mine and they are at 2.25lb with a clean break. Cost is about $35 each. Or get one of the Ruger trigger groups they have out now for about $75

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Auto bolt mod first. Holding down that bolt release lever is a pain in the rear. Second would be the VQ extractor. While you're at it, I would recommend getting the Gunsmither Bolt Tool bar. It makes assembly much easier when attempting to hold down the guide spring while installing the bolt. It also has an extractor tool on it for when you make the VQ extractor switch. Not a mod, but for $12.95 it is a very useful tool.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
No barrel change as yet; but auto bolt release, JWH bolt handle and spring, long magazine release, all trigger assembly parts changed out to Volquartson, Archangel Precision stock, UMG bipod, Leupold scope rings on a Weaver Picatinny rail with a Tasco World Class 3-9x40 scope.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone had their trigger worked on by Brimstone. I saw Gooffeyguy comment above and looked them up. Wanted to upgrade my trigger, seems like a good way. Any one with experience with the company?

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
10-22 mods are infinite

PC030022.JPG First you'll have to decide what your goal for this rifle is. I have modified four 10-22's this year. For the most bang for your buck, I'd say the extended magazine release is the most useful, followed by the bolt release mod.. Williams firesight sets run about 29.99 and are a great improvement. A Volquartsen trigger sear set, can be found on sale at 89.00 and has 1. bolt release mod. 2. a target hammer 3. target sear 4. target trigger 5. recoil buffer 6. extended magazine release. It's a real bargain when you price them out .
If you only want the extended magazine release, get the Ruger brand, as it is the best for the $. Much of what I bought , was purchased on E-bay, but shop around to be familiar with prices. There are many, many instructional videos on you tube, which gave me the confidence to do them all. It was truly amazing.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I just picked up a 4x Tasco .22 Rimfire scope at Wally World tonite,on an impulse, for my new 10/22 blued model, with the plastic stock and taper barrel..........

It's one of those $10 scopes that people have been using on their "backyard blaster" .22 rifles for decades, I'll see if it's worth it. If it's junk, then I'll just either throw it away or use it on a cheap air gun or something. I spent more on lunch meat today than this scope, so if it holds zero under the montrous recoil of .22 LR bulk pack I'll be happy, I'm not looking for a Leupold here, or something to win rimfire matches with.

I usually don't go cheap on optics, but this 10/22 came out of a bitter dispute with a gun shop over an illegally forfieted layaway, and arrived covered in haze rust, so it's pretty much destined to be a range plinker only.

The scope looks "classic", I like how it doesn't have a huge bell on it, just looks like a basic, classic old rimfire scope.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts