1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She wants a 9mm.
I want her to have sa/da with decocker.
Can be single or double stack.
This will likely be purse carry so compact is good but micro not necessary.
Sig P239 is currently at the top of the list.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Let her choose. Let her shoot what she thinks she wants first. That way she will be more comfortable with her choice. My wife doesn't recommend purse carry but regardless, she will need a holster for the weapon.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
As a firearms instructor the biggest complaint women express about concealed carry is the weight of the gun in their purse. Keep that in mind or your wife will have a tendency to leave the gun in the car instead of on her person. I would take a good look at the small 9mm that Ruger has to offer. They are light enough that most women do not complain about their size or weight. If recoil bothers her, look at the 380 caliber. Let her have the final say so on what gun she wants to buy and carry. That is another complaint women have about their husband picking the gun that is too big, too heavy, or too much recoil.

·
Registered
308 Posts
"Let her choose. Let her shoot what she thinks she wants first. That way she will be more comfortable with her choice. "

CANNOT be over-emphasized!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am letting her choose. If it was up to me she would have a 38 revolver.
That being said, she probably would change her mind after shooting a few options and sizing them up. I will take her to a range that rents guns and shoot a few.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My wife wants to carry my SR1911..........but that doesn't make sense.

She doesn't like the LCP, too small and hurts her hands.
She does like the LC9s, comfortable and has a safety so she feels more comfortable with it in her purse.

So, that's what I'm picking up for her............LC9S

Steve

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If your wife will accept a safety in lieu of a decocker, I would seriously look at the Ruger SR9c.

·
Registered
392 Posts
it was about a year ago, the woman with gun in purse was shopping and had the purse and child in the cart, bang, mommy is dead. sorry, I don't like the purse idea. gun belongs in a holster on the body. if a person can't dress to carry, then leave the gun at home.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
she probably would change her mind after shooting a few options and sizing them up. I will take her to a range that rents guns and shoot a few.
Absolutely the best way to go without question. Plus a fun date too. :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
My wife carries a full sized 1911 .45. Goes in her purse too. She can shoot the heck out of it as well! Let your wife decide. You might be surprised. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I like the Kahr CM9. Put a Hogue handall junior on the grip and it's pretty comfortable. Not a da/sa and no safety, but compact, reliable, easy to shoot. 7 rounds as opposed to the 5 you get with a snubbie. Just my $0.02 worth. As stated, it certainly needs to be her decision, but give the kahr a look.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
She wants a 9mm.
I want her to have sa/da with decocker.
Can be single or double stack.
This will likely be purse carry so compact is good but micro not necessary.
Sig P239 is currently at the top of the list.
Training center's around here have a "ladies night" for around $40 bucks, they let them shoot 5 different CCW's to get a feel for the options available.

You could check into it in your area.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a P239 and it's no lightweight. The DA trigger pull is the same as my modded S&W Airweight about 9Lb. Are you sure she wouldn't like to try a Sig P938? or better still a P238? My usual carry is a P238 because 9 months of the year I'm wearing shorts and a Tee shirt. I can pocket carry in anything from shorts to Blue Jeans. I only carry the 239 when it's cold and I can at least wear a hoodie. Most ladies I know don't really like the baggy look required to conceal a P239 and if she is like most women I know it will really weigh down what is probably an already heavy handbag. Like someone said previously, I'm in favor of body carry because you have better control of the weapon.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. As most of you know, the gun, holster, and carry location you *think* you want is not where you end up.
I personally went through 3 guns and 3 holsters before I figured out what worked for me. Probably gonna be the same for her.
She just took a job as a realtor and will carry in her purse probably only when showing a house. She likes the idea of purse carry for that and we can work our way out from there.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Why a purse carry? Carrying in the purse slows down the process of drawing the weapon when needed, and seconds count. There are much better options available for carrying that still offer comfort and concealability while still affording quick access.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My wife initally used my SP101 .357mag. I took her to a gun shop where they laid out 3 or 4 small semi autos. She picked the Smith Bodyguard in .380 with a laser. She carries AIWB and shoots it really well.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.