Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-
I finally got my lcr .357 and love it. Now looking to get the wife a home protection revolver. Doesn't need to be cpl sized, and probably better not that size for recoil. She has shot quite a few rifles and handguns in her time, but I want something accurate for her. I'm thinking .38 (probably +p) due to a few things : recoil, accuracy, my gun shoots both .38 and .357, ammo cost, etc. wondering what you guys suggest and why. Single action probably a plus but not required. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I used to have very good luck teaching women how to shoot a revolver using the S&W Model 10, heavy barrel, preferrably with a round butt.

(I am actually looking for one for myself now.)

Heavy enough to soak up some recoil, not to big for smallish hands.

For close drills I would tape over the rear sight and get them point shooting within an hour.

·
Banned
570 Posts
The LCRs have a bit of recoil with most loads over 125 gr. or more.

I'd opt for a Ruger SP-101 or even a nice Speed Six.

LCRs seem far more modern to me but the bigger guns control recoil better.

Esp. loads like the .38 Special 158 gr. semi wadcutters in +P form, or any Magnum loads
you want to stuff into them.

I just shoot LCRs better and wish that they would offer the design in a larger envelope
like a Security Six for 6 shots of .357 and GP-100 for .44 Special.

A used Speed or Security Six snubby might be the way to go.

Enjoy your KLCR. Mine is wonderful so far. A little heavier trigger pull than my two
38+P models, but seemed to smooth up with some lube.

Any plans for holster(s) or ammo for yours?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd recommend the SP101 with a 3" or 4" barrel. The 3" handles a little easier but the 4" handles recoil better. Have her hold them both and let her decide.

·
Registered
102 Posts
For homeprotection if she's not going to carry it, I would get her a GP100 or service, security, speed six w/ a 4" barrel. I bought my wife an SP101 in .327, but just because she preferred the feel of the grip over the full sized revolver.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,281 Posts
If you are not concerned about carry or concealment definitely the GP100.

It's heavy, but as a result shoots .38sp like .22s.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
My wife likes shooting .38s single action with the Security Six with original factory grips, which seem to be a good fit for her small hands.

·
Registered
17,828 Posts
I saw a Lady Smith on Gunbroker a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My wife is small framed with small, weak hands. Her favorite gun to shoot is my 4" Security Six using standard load .38's. Her personal gun is a DAO SP101 with CT grips.

Don't think your wife could go wrong with the SP101, GP100 or a Security Six, Service Six or Speed Six. Best to get her to a range with rentals and let her try several to see what fits her best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.