Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have difficulty seeing the front blade on my Super Single Six and delineating it from the rear. My eyes are aging and the sight metal on the lovely 6-1/2" SS revolver aging as well.

I've recently rediscovered the joys of shooting the old sixgun, and it is wonderfully accurate and enjoyable, though my large hands are happier with big Hogue grips than with the more beautiful original walnut side pieces.

My other handguns have Trijicon HD sights, with a bright yellow or orange meatball on the front that is easy for me to see.

Is there a simple way to brighten up the rear of the front blade on the single six?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I use oil-based enamels in bright yellow or red. These are available any place that sells paint. These need 24 hours to dry, but they are the most durable sight paints I've found, yet.

Nail polish, though, is a good way to experiment to find the color that works best for your shooting. Once that's decided, you can then move on to something more durable, as above.

If you have a Single Six with adjustable sights, though, the very best option I've found is changing out to a fiber optic sight set. We have one Single Six set up with Williams Firesights and guess which SS gets grabbed the most often when we head to the range? :)

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Testors has a "fluorescent orange" color that I've been using for years and is easy for me to pick up under low light conditions. An easy way to apply it is with a toothpick, so you don't get too much on the sight all at once. Take your time with it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Appliance Epoxy. Adheres really great
For night sights Glow-On.
glow-on.com.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to know I'm not the only one...

Appreciate all the suggestions. Will hit the hobby shop next town trip and try some.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I use fingernail polish, one coat of white, then a coat of orange.
Ditto. Fingernail polish dries to a harder finish than typical model paints and comes in a LOT of cheap, readily available colors.

·
Registered
17,079 Posts
I like the white Appliance touchup paint too.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ditto. Fingernail polish dries to a harder finish than typical model paints and comes in a LOT of cheap, readily available colors.
Yes , I used Fluro Orange on my gp100 sight.
Just beware of the strange looks from other people in the store watching a grown man buying pretty coloured nail polish!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
+1 fot Testers model paint. Let the little bottle sit upside down for a few day and shake well.
Fire engine red for me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sights

For me, I use Testors enamel hobby paint, I've tried orange, red, yellow & white, for the front sight only white stands out the most against a black rear notch. If I'm painting both I use white for the back and red for the front. The enamel paint seems pretty durable, been using it for almost 20 years and never had any come off. Be sure to clean the area first with some mineral spirits or paint thinner.
No paint job will compare to a good set of fiber optic sights though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone found a (fiber optic) front sight that will fit the Ruger New Blackhawk 45 colt?
The rear sight fiber optic sight from the Ruger single 10 will fit-but have not yet found a front fiber optic that will fit. Midway dhttp://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-action/143609-45-colt-bisley-45-acp-cylinder.htmloes not have!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Testers for me as well. I use Floresent red and if you give it enough time to harden, it is dries pretty hard. I let my pistols, all SA Rugers, sit for about a week before I shoot them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts