Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Leupold FX-II 2.5x scope which I'd like to mount forward of the iron sights, but I'm not sure what height rings to purchase.

Is it possible to purchase rings of the correct height to see through both the scope and the iron sight, or will the iron sight obscure the view through the scope sufficiently to make the scope unviable?

If that's the case, would medium or high rings be better?

·
Registered
228 Posts
You'll get several replies on this subject from those who have more experience but for now you'll definitely need high rings. I batted around the idea of keeping the irons in play because they just seem so nice & friendly but ended up putting Leupold QR low rings on instead & forward mounting my Burris Scout Scope.
I have not had any problems with single round loading ( mag. in or mag. out) but I haven't used it that way often. Love the rifle!

Bob

·
Registered
202 Posts
If your scope is the Scout scope you want to mount it as low as possible.

The Weaver Top Mount 1" low are the lowest rings I can find. The ocular bell will be about 0.060" off the rail. They will give you a co-witness with the irons.

The second lowest I have fount are the Weaver Quad Locks. The ocular bell will be about 0.124" above the rail. Still a bit of co-witness.

The advantage of both ring sets is they are about as inexpensive and light as you can get. $10.00 to $20.00 if you shop around.

The co-witness of the irons is not an issue after a couple of shoots you will not even see it. It does make a lot of difference going from the irons to the scope and back again. Your mounting of the rifle will be the same. No goose necking to use the scope.

The other advantage of mounting the scope as low as possible is the difference from one load to another will be less. I have a couple of Scout rifles that I don't have to make scope adjustments from one load to the other out to 300 yards or so. Plus or minus an inch at 300 means nothing in the field.

The closer the scope and bore are the less you have to make adjustments its an angular convergence with the bore and arch of trajectory thing. Lots of fancy math but it works try it you may like it.

Best regards,

Roadie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Weaver Top Mount 1" low are the lowest rings I can find. The ocular bell will be about 0.060" off the rail. They will give you a co-witness with the irons.
Thanks for that. I notice that the rings are made of aluminium, are they durable? The recoil on the 308 is quite substantial and I'm wondering if they'll live up to the abuse?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Thanks for that. I notice that the rings are made of aluminium, are they durable? The recoil on the 308 is quite substantial and I'm wondering if they'll live up to the abuse?
In the grand scheme of things, the recoil on the 308win really isn't substantial. I've used aluminum rings on 338 and 375 magnum rifles in the past - you won't have an issue with well made rings.

The crappy, one-screw-per-side, bargain bin aluminum rings aren't the same animal is better quality aluminum rings, so don't take my words to say that any $10 set of junk aluminum rings will work, but for quality aluminum rings, you won't have any issue.

That said... Moving on...

See-thru rings are worthless, especially in a scout scope, AND especially on a Ruger, where the cheekpiece drop is typically too low already.

If you want to be able to use your scope and have your irons at hand as a back up, buy QD rings, problem solved. If your scope gets compromised, either by damage or by lighting conditions or range, two quick twists and it's gone. Cowitnessing or see-thru mounts just aren't good options.

Be VERY careful if you ignore that advice and try to cowitness your sights through a magnifying scope. Focus and parallax effects on your front sight can cause significant changes in POI - what you see isn't always representative of what's really there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes I have 3 sets that I have been running for years.

The weak part to my way of thinking of a rifle scope system is the scope not the rings. I go with the light rings and they are stronger than the scope if I drop the rifle on the scope/rings the scope will be trashed before the rings.

I also lap all my rings aluminum takes less than 10 min. steel rings can take an hour or more. You get a better alignment after lapping and the scope comes off and goes back on with out loss of zero.

They are more than robust enough for field work.

Best regards,

Roadie

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Like Varmintterror said, skip the see through rings and go with Q.D. rings. See through rings put the scope up way too high. I use Warne Q.D. rings, they are steel. I have also used Tactical Solutions Q.D. rings ( available through Midway), they appear to be identical to the Warne's but are aluminum so some weight savings there. I had this scope (Nikon 2.5-8x long eye relief) on my Mini in a forward mount so used medium height rings, but on the GSR I could go with low rings and get the scope a bit lower.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I will back everything Roadie said. I tried the quick detach ring route first, then listened and picked up a set of top mount Weaver rings. They do exactly as Roadie says they do.

I am running the same scope as the OP, and there is just enough room for a Butler Creek scope cap on the ocular bell. Very neat and tidy, and just what/how a scout scope is supposed to be mounted.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Quad Locks and Top Mount rings are inexpensive not cheep. They don't have a lot of expensive machining done to them and some times if you check around you can fine them on sale for as low as $10 or $12.

The Cooper Steyr Scout that goes for about $3000.00 with sales tax comes with aluminum rings nothing cheep on that rifle.

Both rings are smooth to the touch no protruding parts to catch anything including your hands.

I am adding a link for a post from another site by Cousin Bongo a very good gunsmith and Scout rifle user. He is as well informed as anyone I know on the subject. It would be a good idea to read his post it defines the process and requirements to do this right.

ScoutRifle.org - Scout Scope Mounting - The Finer Points

The rifle in the picture is one he made including the scope mounts. He uses the Top Mount and Quad Lock rings on many of his rifles. They are low, dependable and have never failed me in the field. The main idea is get the scope as low as you can then learn how to use it. Don't forget to leave both eyes open when using a Scout scope.

For the record the top band on the Top Mount rings is steel.

Best regards,

Roadie

·
Registered
366 Posts
I went with the Burris 2-7 Scout and using the Leupold QD rings there is just enough room to put on a BC scope cap.

The 2-7 has a Ballistic Drop reticle that makes hitting targets out to 600 easy...

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts