Ruger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in one of my stands watching the sun set on my last hunt for this season. I am blessed to hunt in Georgia where modern firearms season runs from mid-October until January. While that affords ample time to hunt, my work schedule severely limits my opportunities for getting to the woods. I am happy to have taken a big 8pt buck this year. I was blessed to share in the joy of my nephew's first buck. Also one friend's daughter and another's son harvested big bucks while hunting with me. We have taken does for meat, and I have three hunters out now trying to get one more for the freezer. While I am sad to see it end, it has been a wonderful season with many great memories made.
Plant Tree Natural landscape Wood Trunk

Glasses Outerwear Plant Beard Smile

·
Administrator
23,007 Posts
I always feel a bit sad when deer season ends for me. If I stay in NH and keep hunting it gets colder and the weather worse. If I head south to better weather I'm done hunting. It's one of those conundrums.

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always feel a bit sad when deer season ends for me. If I stay in NH and keep hunting it gets colder and the weather worse. If I head south to better weather I'm done hunting. It's one of those conundrums.
Tough choice!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Today was the last day of late rifle season in this part of Maryland. We have about 4" of snow still on the ground and it was about 10 degrees when I ventured out before dawn. The deer were bedded down. No mammals seen all morning. I had a tom gobbling about 50 yds from me just after sunrise. I was not expecting that in the winter. I'm hoping he's still feeling like bringing the noise in two weeks when winter turkey starts here for its annual 3 day season.

In any case, meat is in the freezer and I'm looking forward to a few days hunting turkey and rabbit over the next few months. In March, I'll probably start thinking about archery starting in September. The annual cycle continues.

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today was the last day of late rifle season in this part of Maryland. We have about 4" of snow still on the ground and it was about 10 degrees when I ventured out before dawn. The deer were bedded down. No mammals seen all morning. I had a tom gobbling about 50 yds from me just after sunrise. I was not expecting that in the winter. I'm hoping he's still feeling like bringing the noise in two weeks when winter turkey starts here for its annual 3 day season.

In any case, meat is in the freezer and I'm looking forward to a few days hunting turkey and rabbit over the next few months. In March, I'll probably start thinking about archery starting in September. The annual cycle continues.
Wow! I never even knew about winter turkey hunting. A Tom gobbling at 10 degrees in the snow? Unbelievable! I will be waiting for Spring Gobbler Season to start here in March. At least I can look back at the success we enjoyed this deer season.
Plant Smile Hunting Hat Ecoregion
Plant Tree Trunk Fawn Grass
Fawn Thigh Human leg Wood Art

Trophy hunting Hunting Deer hunting Plant Deer

Smile Hunting Plant Deer Grass

·
Registered
290 Posts
Wow! I never even knew about winter turkey hunting. A Tom gobbling at 10 degrees in the snow? Unbelievable! I will be waiting for Spring Gobbler Season to start here in March. At least I can look back at the success we enjoyed this deer season.
(y) That is a solid whitetail season!

On the Toms, they VERY rarely gobble or otherwise vocalize in winter around here. Hens are usually quiet as well. Both are fair game during the fall and winter seasons. Usually, you hear them rooting through the leaves for food while flocked up. This one hadn't flown down for the day. He let out a about four gobbles, all separated by about ~5-10 minutes. I was shocked to hear it. Winter turkey is more about finding the flock than calling anything in. Of course, this guy is sure to go silent just before the winter season starts. Seems to be how it works.

·
Registered
822 Posts
3 big toms are behind my house twice a day so far, last year it was 4. It would be so damn easy to bag one, but what's the fun in that? This spring they might be fair game calling them. I enjoy watching them. Guess I'm gettin lazy in my old age.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
3 big toms are behind my house twice a day so far, last year it was 4. It would be so damn easy to bag one, but what's the fun in that? This spring they might be fair game calling them. I enjoy watching them. Guess I'm gettin lazy in my old age.
I fully understand. The farm I hunt is about 1 1/2 miles from my home. I have 6 acres around the house and we see rabbits, squirrels, geese, and the occasional deer in the back field quite often. I enjoy their company and never think about shooting one at home. The coyotes are another story......

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am in one of my stands watching the sun set on my last hunt for this season. I am blessed to hunt in Georgia where modern firearms season runs from mid-October until January. While that affords ample time to hunt, my work schedule severely limits my opportunities for getting to the woods. I am happy to have taken a big 8pt buck this year. I was blessed to share in the joy of my nephew's first buck. Also one friend's daughter and another's son harvested big bucks while hunting with me. We have taken does for meat, and I have three hunters out now trying to get one more for the freezer. While I am sad to see it end, it has been a wonderful season with many great memories made. View attachment 163216
View attachment 163215
...pictures remind me of Ft Benning...Good Times...

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats on your season, nga. Looks like good times!
Having family, friends, and friend's grown children in camp is wonderful. I treasure the memories of laughter, tales of success, and stories of the one that got away. I feel for those who have never experienced the atmosphere of deer camp.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Our general season is over too, but I’m leaving Friday morning to try and kill an axis for the freezer. I did put a buck in the freezer a few weeks ago, but we need more than one to get us through the year. :)
Photograph Organism Natural material Fawn Terrestrial animal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts