Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new SBH Bisley .480 Ruger the other day and I am impressed with everything except the grips. Actually the grips are not bad but the fitting sucks. I have read quite a few posts about this so the problem appears to be pretty common. It looks to me that either the tooling or pattern they use has the screw holes just a tad off. That is what it looks like on mine, the front overhangs the frame slightly and the back has the metal proud. I ordered a set of faux Ivory from Boone Trading Company right after buying the pistol off gunbroker and got those in a day before the gun. I am hoping this eliminates the problem

·
Registered
428 Posts
I own the 454 SBH and agree 100%, the fit sucks. I had to send the revolver back to Ruger for other reasons (grip frame screws were stripped from the factory ) and returned it less the grips. Ruger returned it sporting a new pair of equally I'll fitting grips. I will also mention that my new Flattop has the same bad fit they seem to be to small however I replaced those with a pair of the factory ultra ivory and they fit perfectly, go figure. Is Ruger having a vendor problem (Altamont? )?

·
Registered
907 Posts
pacecars, glad to hear of your acquisition, i had mine out yesterday trying out a couple loads and plan on reporting in the range report section later today when
i get a little more time
as for grips mine are ok, not super perfect but fine for mass produced in my opinion, but i have seen lots of complaints on these regarding all models, my assumption is that what i read is sometimes warranted and sometimes maybe expectations are a little high but what do i know
have fun i hope you enjoy your new revolver

·
Registered
233 Posts
My two cents, the Altamont grips suck. Fitting is atrocious, especially on the Bisley's. Past couple of Blackhawks/Vaqueros I've purchased certainly lack the attention to detail that older Blackhawks/Vaqueros have (and I'm not stopping with grip fit, I'm talking polish, blueing, grittiness in action, machine marks and the like). Don't know if this is due to pressure to get more product on the shelves, employee turnover, less $$ spent on QC, or Obama :)

As for the grips, there are a bunch of gripmakers that do an outstanding job if you send them the grip frame, and I've simply factored that extra $150 or so into the cost of the revolver. I've only got 3 newer Vaqueros/Single Sixes with factory grips, and 2 of those are going out this Spring for new shoes.

For the money, Rugers are solidly built and engineered handguns that more and more I view as a platform for customization. Don't know the last time I purchased a Blackhawk or Vaquero where I said "Oh yeah, you're gonna stay stock, baby." They all get worked over within a few days of coming home. It just depends on where the "working over" stops :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Bought 2 new Blackhawk Bisleys in 45 colt in 2012 and 2013. Both seemed to have fine fitting grips. Read and saw pictures of some really bad fits, don't see how some were shipped looking like that. I must have gotten lucky.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My two cents, the Altamont grips suck. Fitting is atrocious, especially on the Bisley's. Past couple of Blackhawks/Vaqueros I've purchased certainly lack the attention to detail that older Blackhawks/Vaqueros have (and I'm not stopping with grip fit, I'm talking polish, blueing, grittiness in action, machine marks and the like). Don't know if this is due to pressure to get more product on the shelves, employee turnover, less $$ spent on QC, or Obama :)

As for the grips, there are a bunch of gripmakers that do an outstanding job if you send them the grip frame, and I've simply factored that extra $150 or so into the cost of the revolver. I've only got 3 newer Vaqueros/Single Sixes with factory grips, and 2 of those are going out this Spring for new shoes.

For the money, Rugers are solidly built and engineered handguns that more and more I view as a platform for customization. Don't know the last time I purchased a Blackhawk or Vaquero where I said "Oh yeah, you're gonna stay stock, baby." They all get worked over within a few days of coming home. It just depends on where the "working over" stops :)

Who do you get your grips from? All I have found for fitted grips are $300+

·
Registered
233 Posts
Who do you get your grips from? All I have found for fitted grips are $300+
Pat Grashorn does a great job with stags for under $200 (google grashorn gun works), and I've been well pleased with both quality and turn-around.

I've been extremely pleased with Bob Leskovec (Precision Pro Grips). He's done a set of figured french walnut for a Keith #5 grip frame, a set of african wenge for a Bisley and a set of antique ivory micarta for a Bisley. I'm sending him a bookmatched blank of figured claro walnut later this Spring for grips on two birdsheads: 1 is a "Blackbird" single six for my son, and the other is for one of the new birdshead 44 mag vaqueros that just came out. Needless to say, he's kinda my go-to guy right now.

Joe Perkins at Classic Single Action seems to be well regarded (haven't used him).

And Zane at Lone Star Custom Grips gets a lot of kudos over on the Single Action forum.

All of these advertise for around $200, and I've had Leskovec charge less when I'm supplying the materials...although he does require the whole gun, and not just the gripframe.

·
Registered
17 Posts

This is very true. Friday I was looking at a blue 5.5 45 colt Blackhawk. The trigger was awful, long, gritty and full of creep. Worst part though was the grip frame fitment. The ears were a good 1/16 inch too tall. Next to it tough was a most beautiful Bisley .45 colt/ acp. Everything good to go on it. Price was nearly $300 dollars more..you get what you pay for most times.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a SBH Bisley 454 and the fitment of the grips was a joke and frankly the overall finish of the gun wasn't that good. To make matters worse the recessed cylinders actually limited cartridge OAL compared to their SRH models. It shot okay but I decided to send it to another home.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Altamont grips on my SBH fit perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
823 Posts
The grips that Ruger is putting on is not what they used to be. I've gotten to where I'm making a set of grips for the new revolvers I buy now a days. Here is a set I made for one of my Blackhawks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The grips that Ruger is putting on is not what they used to be. I've gotten to where I'm making a set of grips for the new revolvers I buy now a days. Here is a set I made for one of my Blackhawks.
Those look great, really nice grain and not over the top fancy. well done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts