Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have an opportunity to pick up a super Blackhawk in .44 mag, blued with a 10.5 inch bbl. with around 150 rounds of ammo (fmj's & hollow points) in great shape for around $350. The gun also comes with a nice shoulder holster. does anyone have any experience with this model and how does the older models compare to the new? Does the 10.5" bbl models maintain a higher value than a 6.5" or even a 4.5 ect... Also If I do pick er up I'm thinking of scoping it and using it for deer at distances between 25-125 yards, maybe more. Would any of you guys have experience in that aspect as well??? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Seems more like a stationary gun than a walk-around gun. Was originally designed for silhouette shooting, I believe.
That is a great price! If you don't want it, I will take it.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The 10.5" Super Black's are - like any Super Black - great revolvers. The 44mag is a fantastic, tried and true deer killing revolver. Whether it's cheap Winchester White Box soft points or handrolled premium Swift A-Frames, a 10.5" SBH 44mag will put deer in the dirt.

The 10.5" is a bit much to carry around, and a bit nose heavy to level off-hand, but it's not unmanageable. Putting a scope on a Leupold mount (D&T) where it's set a little more rearward can help counterweight the revolver - as long as your eye relief is proper. If you're diligent about finding field supports, or practice using a monopod or tripod, standing supported shots on deer are very practical.

25-125yrds is right in the wheelhouse for a scoped 10.5" SBH. The 240grn Win White box JSP's will kill deer very well over this range if you don't reload - no need to spend a lot of money on premium ammo if the WWB shoots well in your Ruger (it does in all of mine). I hand roll 240grn and 300grn XTP's these days, and they'll kill deer at that range very well also, and then some. I've killed deer with the 280 A-Frame as well, absolutely love the bullet, but it doesn't do anything on deer at 125yrds for $1 per shot that an XTP doesn't do for 25cents per shot.

The 10.5" don't really seem to bring any additional value, blued SBH's tend to bring less, it seems. The distributor special short barrels hold value best, otherwise, the 10.5" is probably the least desired length. Not saying that's a problem, it's just a factor of too many guys unwilling to carry a long barreled revolver for hunting, so the market is smaller.

$350 is a killer deal on a great revolver. As long as it doesn't look like it was dropped out of a plane, that's a great price, and it'll do everything that you want it to do, and then some.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the prompt feedback. My old man reloads .44 for his S&W original 629 so he can hook me up with whatever I need for loads so ammo is not a problem in this case. I realize the gun is long and has some weight but that's not an issue in my case because I tend to sit or when I move its minut. The monopod idea is a good thought and I was also thinking a scope might help even out the weight as well. Thanks again for the good prompt info it's a huge help.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The monopod idea is a good thought and I was also thinking a scope might help even out the weight as well. Thanks again for the good prompt info it's a huge help.
Not to derail your thread with a left turn at Albuquerque, but I've been very successful with Primos Trigger Stik's under revolvers. For 0-100/125yrd shooting, I've done very well off of a monopod, and the Primos Trigger Stik is the easiest and fastest adjusting model on the market - and every bit as solid as anything else on the market. I shoot with one hand on the revolver, one hand on the trigger stick grip.

For 150-250yrd shooting, I've started using a Primos Trigger Stik Tripod (with paracord stays tied between the legs) with a Bog-Pod PSR head unit. The PSR is a fantastic pistol rest adapter, seen on the left in the photo below. I've tried shooting with two hands on the revolver, supported by the tripod, but I do better with the PSR, and do equally well on a Monopod with one hand on the revolver, one on the stick.

Unlike the photo below, I use a small sandbag on the rest to allow the butt of the revolver to slide - a tip I was given by Ernie Bishop, well known specialty pistol shooter, which he developed shooting 500yrds with his GP100 Frankenruger.

I also have the Bogpod Tac3s and HD3 to use with the PSR rest, both of these are very solid tripods, a bit more solid than the Trigger Stick in fact (the handle has a little run-out wobble on the Trigger stick, but it's very manageable). The speed and ease of adjustment on the Trigger stick is why I favor them over the Bogpod tripods. With other models, you really need to set the legs when you set up, and never adjust them. With the trigger sticks, I can be walking, see a deer, and deploy quickly, quietly, and without much movement.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
does anyone have any experience with this model and how does the older models compare to the new? Does the 10.5" bbl models maintain a higher value than a 6.5" or even a 4.5 ect... .
I don't think so.

I picked up my 10.5" SBH while shooting silhouette many years ago. And I used it, go figure, for shooting silhouette. At the time I got it for a song from a guy that needed cash, for a divorce, (sad story), and I paid full asking price, $175. I see one for time to time and they don't have a big number on the tag. Most are in excellent to NIB condition, as dragging one through the bushes is not much handier than a carbine. Like any SBH, shooting one out with cast bullets isn't likely.

I was smart enough to hang onto mine, though it doesn't get a lot of use these days.

·
Registered
52 Posts
$350 I think is a great price in good condition. I picked up a 71/2 " Old Model SB in December for $350.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts