Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else ever run into the issue of screws coming loose on their SBH? I have a New Model in stainless and a blued model, both 5&½", and each has that issue. Never have I had it happen with longer barrels in either old or new models. Just seems odd.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
No but I HAD A BLACKHAW witht hat problem. I used a touch of my wife's nail polish to keep the scre in place.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Have not had this issue with any Ruger SA or DA so far but would not be surprised for it to happen if feeding SBH a steady diet of magnum loads and especially where using heavy bullets.

But have had this issue in all bbl lengths with Marlin 4570 Levers, FreedomArms SAs in 454, 475 & 50ae plus some bolt guns(which can fracture a stock if action screws are loose).

Had decided to make it routine to check screws at each cleaning, before each hunt or range session to avoid gun damage.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Loctite. Purple for the really small screws. Blue for the rest.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have some that do and some that don’t but I am always keeping an eye out, and not just screws sight pins and other things like to work their way out also.

Think of your guns just like a motorcycle or any other machinery, should always do a safety check

·
Registered
356 Posts
Does anyone else ever run into the issue of screws coming loose on their SBH? I have a New Model in stainless and a blued model, both 5&½", and each has that issue. Never have I had it happen with longer barrels in either old or new models. Just seems odd.
Which Screws on the New Models ?
The Grip Panel Screw, Ejector Housing Screw, Grip Frame Screws ?
You should use different LocTite for different Screws
If you don't foresee taking the Screw out any time soon, use Red
If you may remove, use Blue
If you will remove, use Green
There is also Purple, the lowest level of strength
And a little known Black, that is by far, the strongest

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to use loctite. Just wonder why it is more pronounced on my shorter barrel guns. I usually shoot handloads with 200 gr bullets. Except when hunting with my SRH. My little stainless just gets real loose quickly. And not any screw in particular. But it is especially annoying on the ejector housing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
All my rugers need to be tighten after/during a range session. Every single screw. I bring a screw driver with me and keep them tight as I shoot heavy magnum loads.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
A little clear fingernail polish on the threads will solve the problem and still be able to remove the screws when you need to very easily. One small bottle will do all your guns and lasts a long time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always carry a tool kit to the range and when cleaning all my pistols check for loosened screws. I usually find a few. Locktite definitely helps and I use it on a number of locations. I even found the front sight loosened on my Mk4 SS Hunter. Locktite cured it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The screws are loose on my 10.5" after 40 full loads when shooting IHMSA silhouettes.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I had troubles with the screw in front of the trigger guard coming loose (45 Colt BH). It didn't seem to matter if I shot stiff loads or soft loads. A little blue Loctite solved the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts