Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search quite a bit before I asked this question so I apologize in advance if it has already been asked. On early versions ('74-'84) of the new model super blackhawk, how many front sight options were there and what were they? I had a stainless, 5.5" barrel from this time period that I am trying to replace. I swear up and down it had a fixed, stainless "blade" style front sight like the vaqueros. Also believe it did not have any type of rear sight at all. But, I am starting to question my memory. Any input on sights from that time period would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I do not recall ever seeing a Super Blackhawk with fixed vaquero style sights. But that does not mean they did not make any. I just never saw one with fixed sights. My memory is, they all came with adjustable rear and ramp front.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
As far as I know the factory (S)BH (OM or NM) never had a 'blade' front sight or fixed sights in the rear. It wasn't until the original Vaquero came out that we saw fixed sights. I think you need to question your memory :D .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not recall ever seeing a Super Blackhawk with fixed vaquero style sights. But that does not mean they did not make any. I just never saw one with fixed sights. My memory is, they all came with adjustable rear and ramp front.
This helps and I appreciate it. Do you know if any of them had stainless or something other than black on either the front or rear?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I know the factory (S)BH (OM or NM) never had a 'blade' front sight or fixed sights in the rear. It wasn't until the original Vaquero came out that we saw fixed sights. I think you need to question your memory :D .
No doubt the memory is foggy and I appreciate you guys helping me piece it together. I had a matching single six also and they were important to me and I have always regretted selling them. A lot of the old models had the blade sight so I thought it might have trickled over into some of the new models. This helps and I appreciate it. Do you know if any of them had stainless or something other than black on either the front or rear sights?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm thinking your Blackhawk WAS a Vaquero.
Or ,,,, Custom .
In the pre-Vaquero days some gunsmiths did weld up and recut top straps and convert Blackhawks to fixed sight guns .
Not unheard of.
In either case a Vaquero would serve you well ,,,, if that is what you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts