Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Lgs has an Alaskan in 454 Casull , I've never owned or shot an Alaskan before but in handling one that seem almost unbalanced , at least with those big 0l' hogue grips . Feels like it should have more weight out front to me anyways.
So, the super Redhawk Toklat seems like it would be just right . Has anyone shot both , if so how do they compare ?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The Alaskan balances like a bowling ball, and rolls like one on recoil. It's compact, so it's easy to carry, but it's not really a well balanced piece for doing much shooting, and the short sight radius is a not-so-surprising limitation in itself.

The Toklat is, alternatively, the best balancing and smoothest handing handgun I own - out of a sizable fleet. Recoil feel in the two is quite different, much less flip in hand. The blast out front, while still substantial, is noticeably reduced.

I love both, but as a practical piece, I can't say there is anything the Alaskan does which the Toklat doesn't do considerably better. The Alaskan has shock and awe value to raise eyebrows and compell drool from others at the range, but the Toklat is the real deal - no contest in operation.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I have not had the opportunity to shoot either of them. However... I highly recommend you watch Hickok45's YouTube video on the Toklat.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I own and have shot both. If you are going to carry in a chest rig, Alaskan with its' short draw stroke is the way to go in bear country. Out and on target quicker.

Toklat is perfect on a belt holster due to the increased weight. Love them both. Neither is all that hard to shoot, prob get a little more distance out of the Toklat. I would prefer the quickest to draw if a bear is running me down, and that goes to the Alaskan.

BTW, if you're looking for either a chest rig or belt holster, Clark Fork Leather builds quality holsters and is reasonable.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Varminterror your post was just what I wanted to hear , encouraging ! Sizeable fleet , I like that HaHa.
Thanks ditto , I like Hickok's videos ,haven't seen that one, ill check it out.
Ranger Joe , I have an El Paso Saddlery tanker holster that carries my Smith and Wesson 625 mountain gun . Works great , nothing wrong with that combo either . I just see certain Rugers and I become weak , always have . Ill look up Clark Fork leather , thanks
I appreciate all the replys , thanks again .

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've got the Toklat and love it. My favorite gun bar none. Great balance, really good at recoil absorbing and the .454 Casull round isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. I'm more accurate with the Toklat than any other gun I own. Maybe that's an indictment of my shooting skills.

Having said that. I've toyed with the idea of an Alaskan in 44 magnum. It would be a joy shooting specials through it and then having a 45 oz hunk of steel to tamp down the recoil of the magnum. I'd don't think I'd want the Alaskan in 454 Casull. I'm not sure what you gain. The Toklat is easily accessed with Diamond D chest rig and better balanced. I carry mine in my HPG OKB.

I've handled the Alaskan in .454 Casull in a LGS. Good feel but not as balanced as the Toklat. That's the direction I would steer you.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks wiiawiwb , makes sense to me . The one Alaskan I handled just kind of felt awkward . Maybe it's just me I don't know ? Thanks for the info on the chest harness and the other rig .

·
Registered
17 Posts
I mostly own and shoot semi - auto's, but I do have a 44 mag Alaskan and a 4" Python. I've had the Python for 35 years and rarely shoot it.....almost like it's too serene sitting in the safe to disturb. But the Alaskan goes with me while stream fishing and hiking in bear country.

Not being much of a revolver guy, about all I can say is that besides being a massive chunk of stainless steel beautifully rendered, the Alaskan is surprisingly accurate for a snub nose. In single-action, as good as my smaller 9mm's. But, boy does it pop with hotter ammo. I was shooting Buffalo Bore Heavy 305 grain hard cast, and that is about all I can tolerate, and it hurt. BB also makes a +p+ round with even a bigger slug. That's beyond my sensibilities and pain threshold. My hat's off to anyone who can shoot it.

I like the short barrel because I can draw it from a chest holster fast. To me, the balance of the gun is fine for my application....bear defense at close range. It's just a big heavy piece, nicely executed. One of my favorite guns.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I tried my handloads in 250 gr 454 which were not bad. Then I proceeded to try some other loads. BB 320 gr +P which were surprisingly spicy for one handed shooting. I tried two hunting cartridges which were pretty darn hot, and I found myself leafing my left hand back as the gun rose. I didn't experience pain but I struggled to keep the gun from rising. I looked st my BB 340 gr 454 load and thought it was best for another day. I had already shot 40 rounds of 454 prior to considering more fun.

What was disappointing for me was that the Alaskan wasn't even close to zero from the factory. It was shooting too low, and I had to adjust the elevation by several inches.

I'm going to load up 50 rounds of 454 for the next range trip. But by the time I'll get to the range, I'll have a Ruger Talo Toklat to play with, also.

Bear in mind, I already have a S&W 500, 460 XVR, Ruger SRH 7.5" and a S&W 629 44 Magnum hunter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
305 Posts
The Alaskan will fit in the large DTOM conceal carry fanny. I had to learn how to shoot super magnums like the .454 Casull in double action, I think a lot of people just those things in single action. I read somewhere that the Alaskan loses on average 300 feet per second when compared to the 7.5" Super Red hawks.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
No Tolkat. Do have Alaskans in .44 mag and .480 Ruger.

Really enjoy shooting them. No trouble with balance. Did have both magnaported to keep muzzle rise down.

Good bear country carry gun.

I would add, good triggers as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the Alaskan. It is well balanced. Shoots like a dream. Very accurate as well. Not sure why all the poo-poo talk about it. There's NO WAY I'm going to own such a fugly gun as the Toklat! Nope! Why didn't they keep the nice lines of the Alaskan all the way down the barrel? Tsk, tsk Ruger!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why didn't they keep the nice lines of the Alaskan all the way down the barrel? Tsk, tsk Ruger!
That would look slick!
In my mind my Alaskan has a singular purpose, carry gun, the gun is so compact I don't have an excuse to leave it behind. The Toklat could be a jack of all trades 45 for sure. If I were in the market for a Toklat I would pick up one of the older grey 454's cheap and chop the barrel, it would not say Toklat on the side but I bet it would be cheaper.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do know my 5.5" 44 mag often stayed home while my 3.75" 45 colt +p when along instead.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts