Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to tell everyone that is in the path of this storm to take care and be safe. Hope everybody comes through it with no injuries and damage. Take precautions and heed the warnings!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Cleaned the gutters today. Getting a new generator tomorrow (lost power twice last year so I'm sure it will get use). Going to a gun show tomorrow too, but just looking... haha

Be safe.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Storm

I feel for the folks in the Northeast. Up here in N. Dak. we get a winter storm or two, so I know what it's like.:)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Cleaned out the gully that leads to the culvert under my driveway - it is only 12" in diameter and easily clogged by too many sticks and wet leaves.
cleaned the gutters as well. The portable generator is ready and I will top off my #2 5 gal can of gas tomorrow on the way home from church giving me 12 1/2 gallons.
Hopefully I won't need it but between the high wind warnings and the chance of up to 2' of wet snow here in WV, anything could happen.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Folks in my part of Virginia are lining up at gas stations and topping off their tanks. And the regular behavior at grocery stores... people scrambling to get 983 rolls of toilet paper, water and milk.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I've been stocking up. :D

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Got a 'reverse 911' call from the power company. They had general warnings and said that if we lost power to report it via.... 'your home computer'?

·
Registered
209 Posts
You folks be careful and prepared up there. I know what the hurricanes are like, but we don't have the cold weather some of you will have.:)

·
Super Moderator
22,047 Posts
Supposed to be rain and a little wind up here. If we lose power I have a propane fired standby generator that will start up automatically.

Looks like it's is going to hit southern New Jersey. Good luck down there.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Is it going to be a super soaker or all show?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Cleaned out the gully that leads to the culvert under my driveway - it is only 12" in diameter and easily clogged by too many sticks and wet leaves.
cleaned the gutters as well. The portable generator is ready and I will top off my #2 5 gal can of gas tomorrow on the way home from church giving me 12 1/2 gallons.
Hopefully I won't need it but between the high wind warnings and the chance of up to 2' of wet snow here in WV, anything could happen.
Hopefully I'm on the edge of that snow here. If lucky it'll be wet snow. Last time we had 20" dry, I had seven foot drifts and snowed in for two weeks. Worse fear is the power, but I'm prepared for two weeks. Picked up a transfer hose so I can use gas out of my other vehicles to refill my gas cans. Good luck neighbor. Old homeplace is in Hardy County.

·
Super Moderator
22,047 Posts
Is it going to be a super soaker or all show?
Two systems are going to converge and their could be 80-90 MPH winds, rain and/or snow. It sounds like the real deal but the media does like to hype.

I remember one year we had a hurricane that might hit us (it didn't) and the media way over hyped it. I went to the grocery store and people were near panic. I saw one woman put 5 gallons of milk in her shopping cart. They had a truck backed up to the store and as the clerk brought in milk people were grabbing it before they could unload it. Much calmer today as people weren't over reacting.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Powdered milk? Check.
Ramen noodles? Check.
Storage water? Check.
MREs? Check.
Rice/Beans? Check.
Canned and dried foods? Check.
Booze? Check.
Coffee/Tea/Tobacco? Check.
Propane/Kerosene/Coleman fuel? Check.
Lamps/Lanterns/Heaters/Camp stoves? Check.

Guns/Ammo? Break in and find out.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Late season hurricanes are a massive bummer. Have plenty of non-perishables, though, & a gas range. Praying the winds aren't that bad, & our "high" (relative to much of the city, that is) elevation keeps flooding to a minimum.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The real problem inNorth Cental/ Northeast Pennsylvania is that last September we had Trpical Storm Lee just dump on us and many people died and thousands lost homes and thousands more were flooded.We are a little gun shy at this time and this feeling will not leave until this is over and the damage is assessed so we sit here and pray and hope. Will let you know how it goes

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Two systems are going to converge and their could be 80-90 MPH winds, rain and/or snow. It sounds like the real deal but the media does like to hype.
Thanks Terry.
To you folk in the affected area, stay safe.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Cripes, I had a tornado come within a quarter of a mile from my house last week, knocked the power out all night, now this week we have this stupid hurricane coming through. Well, I got my incandescent kero lamps filled and ready, drinking water bottled up, and my bathtub filled so I can bucket flush. See what Sandy has in store!:eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts