Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on vacation this week, and while I was sitting watching TV yesterday, flipping through the channels, I found a show on the Outdoor Channel called "Gold Fever". It's about prospecting for gold, and though the host was sort of a dork, the premise of this particular show intrigued me.

Basically, he and his wife and a cameraman were going, on 4 wheelers, deep into the Alaskan wilderness to prospect for gold (they were going so far "in" that they had to take along a lot of extra gasoline). It was the "deep in the Alaskan wilderness" part that got my attention; I'd love to do something like this. Spending a week or two or a month or two deep in the wilderness is a dream for me.

Anyhow, in one part of the show, the host produces a 7 1/2" stainless Super Blackhawk, explains it's for "peace of mind", and he and his wife and the cameraman proceed to take some target practice, shooting at 5 gallon buckets across a stream.

They were pretty dumb about this, as they used NO EAR PROTECTION (the host complained that the .44 made his ears ring -- DUH!!), and their marksmanship was fairly mediocre, but still it was sort of fun to watch, in an unusual sort of way.

Made me want to take my own Super Blackhawk deep into the Alaskan wilderness and disappear for a few months.

Alas, I have to go back to work next week. :(

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Bestseller,
You were watching the GPAA.
George Massey started it all.George died several years ago.Miss him.
Those hosting the show now,are the Massey brothers.
Perry Massey,is the more serious one.Likes having fun too.Has a Mining Engineering degree.
Met him in Stockton several years ago.Guess, he took my suggestion and ran with it.A life member of the GPAA,instead of the LDMA.which does cost some serious bucks.
Was a yearly member,until.....an arrogant caretaker in the late 90's,made me quit.
Now, a lifer of the UPI-United Prospectors Inc.
Of what I hear, the LDMA got another one quick.
OK, for the other brother-senior moment,is the burly one.He was the one you seen shoot.
This club/organization,is pro-gun.Maybe more for people with some rather big bucks.You oughta see their motor homes !Seen 'em at Italian Bar,a few miles north of Sonora.Yes, it's LDMA property.
And, yes, sometimes common sense should have kicked in.He keeps that up, and a hearing aids will be of no use.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I watch him sometimes when nothing else is on. Seen him do other stupid stuff, and he's afraid of bats. Sounds like a little girl when they start flying around in some of the caves they explore. He talks too much about nothing on some of his shows. I saw them awhile back with a New Model 357mag on an exploration in some caves. He took it off and left it outside before they went in.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Jimbo, sounds like they're doomed....;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts