Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Grandson is a photographer for Stadium Super Cross and Monster (the sponsoring company for the series)....they were here last night and Jack stopped by with some "raw" shots of the action...he's the owner of TopStep photography and does many of the high end motorcycle and racing series...just thought some of the motorcycle folks on the board might enjoy the pictures...

Jack raced motorcycles until a serious crash a couple of years ago....so now he can use his knowledge of the racing, the people and the places on the track for great pictures to still be a part of things without riding...First series of pictures is here last night..the second set (photo heavy) is general shots from many venues where he's been the photographer..

San Diego ? Top Step Photography

https://www.instagram.com/topstepphotography/

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Pretty cool shots. I myself prefer hill climbing, but cool shots none the less.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
great pictures... coincidentally - channel surfing in the evening last night, my 12yr old and i landed on that channel and stuck with it for a while, typically dont watch much motorcycle racing, but the SSX is pretty cool stuff. especially the short lap formats and heats, consy, main.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah Supercross is made for the TV audience. Been racing MX for 50 years. Slowed up a good bit over the past 5 years but not for the reason you'd think. Money........the lack of it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Just sold my RM 250 to hard on this 52 year old lol major mint too ...

Hope it's around for a while..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
17,256 Posts
He sure takes some good pictures, opos.
Keep on postin more, especially when Motocross season starts.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Something for everyone who likes any event of motorcycle riding.

Watch the movie "On Any Sunday". It is old but awesome. Malcolm Smith rides 12 races and wins 6. He competes in the hill climb at Widow Maker and places 3rd on his stocker 400 Husky. In the Hopetown race (where the Manson murders took place) they show him zipping by 1499 riders. Too funny! It is everything from the most serious to most humorous.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,021 Posts
Just sold my RM 250 to hard on this 52 year old lol major mint too ...

Hope it's around for a while..

Thewelshm
My first thought was I miss the smell of HP2, and yamalube R2. I sold my race bikes many years ago, 95, and 96 Cr125's, and dearly miss them. I miss the feeling of sailing over doubles, and table tops, but do not miss broken arms, legs and clavicles. I do one day have the plan to buy a Cr500, maybe one of the last years made to ride for an occassional smile, fest. No thumpers for me.

Thanks opos for posting, I enjoyed the photos.;)

·
Rifleman
1,630 Posts
Awesome.

Same here. Raced MX for 12yrs thru most of the 70s till about 84. Then started roadracing superbikes after that.

Been racing xc mtbikes(bicycle) the last 10yrs or so, until bad motorcycle accident 2yrs ago. Broke my back, neck, punctured both lungs, and bunch of other chit. Trying to get back strong enough to race mtbs again.

This is the 125cc start in 81 in Ga. I'm #12 on an 80 CR125(last of the air cooled). Ended up winning that moto.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
^
Wow! You and the rest of the racers must be extremely tiny or you're racing in a very large room. *points to the large door in the background* ;)

·
Rifleman
1,630 Posts
^
Wow! You and the rest of the racers must be extremely tiny or you're racing in a very large room. *points to the large door in the background* ;)
Funny, I just noticed that reflection after posting it. One of the riders in the pic, just gave that pic to me via Facebook. I guess he took a pic of the hard copy instead of scanning it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sitting in the garage right now waiting some fresh gas and a few kicks. 1980 YZ465. Had it for decades. A beast of a bike. 50 years or so of off road racing and no broken bones. Man's gotta know his limitations. :D

Attachments

·
"The Real Deal"
8,021 Posts
Sitting in the garage right now waiting some fresh gas and a few kicks. 1980 YZ465. Had it for decades. A beast of a bike. 50 years or so of off road racing and no broken bones. Man's gotta know his limitations. :D
I had a friend that had a yz490, cant remember what year, your right it was crazy powerful. I have a mint condition Honda 1985 Atc 200x in my shop I have had for years, just needs gas also. Thanks for posting. ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just joined the forum and found this post. Great pics! Have grown up racing dirt bikes,mx,hare scrambles,and enduro. Not much in the last ten years,spending time with family and my sons hobbies and sports. A few dual sports here and there. I sure do miss it. I ride the KTM around the yard sometimes just to smell the sweet smell of 2 stroke.

·
Rifleman
1,630 Posts

Very nice. I was a 125 guy, but on occasion raced 250s and Open class 2-strokes as well, way back then. The Open class bikes (last one I rode was a CR500) are absolutely brutally fast.

Theres a new resurgences for these old bikes, by old guys like us that used to ride, race, and love them. Facebook has a page called American Motocross Restoration. It appears their going to have a TV show of some sort, pertaining to that process(restoring 60s thru 80s MX bikes). They've got Marty Smith and Brad Lackey helping out. They have a well made 20 minute pilot vid. Don't the link right now. Heres the page..

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanMotocrossRestoration/?fref=ts

·
Registered
17,256 Posts
Just joined the forum and found this post. Great pics! Have grown up racing dirt bikes,mx,hare scrambles,and enduro. Not much in the last ten years,spending time with family and my sons hobbies and sports. A few dual sports here and there. I sure do miss it. I ride the KTM around the yard sometimes just to smell the sweet smell of 2 stroke.
I love that smell!
I'm still ridin 2 strokes too.
Even my lawn mower is a 2-stoke Lawnboy. I get to burn off my old premix with it, and get the aroma of Motocross.

Did anyone catch that 250 main Saturday? Craig and Webb were dicin it out good for quite a few laps.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,021 Posts
Very nice. I was a 125 guy, but on occasion raced 250s and Open class 2-strokes as well, way back then. The Open class bikes (last one I rode was a CR500) are absolutely brutally fast.

Theres a new resurgences for these old bikes, by old guys like us that used to ride, race, and love them. Facebook has a page called American Motocross Restoration. It appears their going to have a TV show of some sort, pertaining to that process(restoring 60s thru 80s MX bikes). They've got Marty Smith and Brad Lackey helping out. They have a well made 20 minute pilot vid. Don't the link right now. Heres the page..

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanMotocrossRestoration/?fref=ts
I got a sore backside plenty of times from a 1985 yz80. I remember once laying the throttle wide open and waiting for the power band to kick in, you know.....then right before I hit one side of a ditch I was jumping, that power band came in, and the bike went over the ditch shooting out from under me, and planting my backside in the dirt. The 125, 250 and 500 had a more perdictable power spike, man I miss those bikes. I also miss the days of riding with friends sounding like a bunch of angry bee's swarming. A show that restores the old 2 strokes, sounds like something I would be glued too. :D

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Ugh, dirt bikes, been there, done that, got the scars to prove it. I used to live for the weekend to get with the guys and see which local dirt track we were gonna ride. Hard to get the dirt and oil out of your blood but at 60 you just don't bounce as well as in your 20s.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,021 Posts
Ugh, dirt bikes, been there, done that, got the scars to prove it. I used to live for the weekend to get with the guys and see which local dirt track we were gonna ride. Hard to get the dirt and oil out of your blood but at 60 you just don't bounce as well as in your 20s.
Don't we all. Bout 10 years back I traded 2 wheels for 4, and went to a foreman 4x4, gathered friends and went trail (mud) riding. A cooler full of bud light, and a great time. It wasn't as much about speed, now it was about cruising, and crawling through muck. I loved it, but in recent years, the only dirt the quads see now, is from dust in the garage, or when i use them for work around the house. I miss it, but I am not as flexible as I used to be, and the early life scrapes ( broken bones) stay sore longer now. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts