Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the wake of Memorial day and discussion in another thread about supporting the vets every day, I'd like to make a list of the various organizations that help the troops, vets and their families, and their web links so people can check them out. The membership here is mostly US but feel free to mention what's going on in other countries also.

The first that comes to my mind is Wounded Warrior Project. Love what they do and happy to support them. What others do you know? There are many more. Name them and I'll add to the list.

- Wounded Warrior Project
- DAV - Disabled American Veterans
- PVA - Paralyzed Veterans of America
- VFW - Veterans of Foreign Wars USA
- USO - United Services Organization
- Veterans Village of San Diego
- AMVETS
- AAP - Adopt a Platoon

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Here are three that I support financially along with the Wounded Warrior Project
Disabled American Veterans DAV
Paralyzed Veterans of America PVA
Veterans of Foreign Wars VFW

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are three that I support financially along with the Wounded Warrior Project
Disabled American Veterans DAV
Paralyzed Veterans of America PVA
Veterans of Foreign Wars VFW
Thanks, list updated

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I support Wounded Warriors and the USO.....l

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
In some cases where permitted person to person visits with the wounded is possible...check with the VA and other veteran services in your area...a personal visit and hand shake can do more for brightening a vet's day than donating if cash is an issue....

Also there are many activities available to returning vets...my personal favorite is either being directly involved or helping from the sidelines (more my way now due to health issues) to sponsor activities...in part or in full (getting labor and things donated)...pictures are of a 1/2 day fishing trip we did for a bunch of returning Marines at Pendleton a while back..there are similar (although not so involved) kinds of trips where a bunch of guys just offer to take service men and women fishing on private boats.....these were from a helicopter group and most had 2 or 3 tours under their belts and several were pretty damaged..but had a hell of a time...We were able to get the fishing landing to rent us a boat and crew at a fraction of the normal amount...got donations from many of the businesses and had huge support from members of a local fishing forum...took a little work but was worth every minute..Never know what you might be able to do..try the "activities center" at any local base and see what is available to volunteer for.

Another area are the activities by the VVSD (here's the link... http://www.vvsd.net/ ...in San Diego..various groups go and offer some forms of assistance...AA, NA, several homeless shelters, several "help, counselling groups" all go in to offer help to Vet's that are down and out for now..I have several friends that are much involved in this and get a great deal of satisfaction by doing something rather than just signing a check....again..cost's nothing but time and a little getting your hands dirty but rewarding.

We support the Wounded Warrior foundation but I swear they have had to use up all my donations in sending out more requests for money...I do hope they are getting all the printing and postage donated as we get things almost weekly and they are big packets of literature...along with the TV advertising, etc..I think we would rather do the 1 on 1 volunteering thing....We know it goes right to the Vet and no overhead.

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Kind of related to the topic. Amazon just started a new program called Amazon Smile. It's free to sign up and they give a percentage of your purchases from the site to a charity organization of your choosing. The Wounded Warrior Project is the one that I chose. I'm sure the amount I personally give is peanuts to them but if more people who shop on Amazon join in then a lot of money could be raised and the only thing that needs to be done is to sign up, took me less than 5 mins.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Opos, thanks for all the remarks. As a teenager I assisted at the local VA, sort of a community project type thing in school, and the dxperience was quite an eye opener for me. Encountered lots of different folks such as amputees and serious mental disorders, not all conditions were military related I was told but I'm glad those folks had a place to turn regardless. Some liked us kids around, others yelded at us and some were so out of it they probably didn't know where they even were let alone notice us. Fast forward many decades and my now nearest VA didn't have a program I could plug into but I need to check on that again since it was a few years back and things change. Totally agree that the personal involvement shouldn't be neglected if at all possible.

Added your local group to the list, no doubt there are many more like that throughout the country.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kind of related to the topic. Amazon just started a new program called Amazon Smile. It's free to sign up and they give a percentage of your purchases from the site to a charity organization of your choosing. The Wounded Warrior Project is the one that I chose. I'm sure the amount I personally give is peanuts to them but if more people who shop on Amazon join in then a lot of money could be raised and the only thing that needs to be done is to sign up, took me less than 5 mins.
I'm doing that also, totally forgot. Every bit helps.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I support Wounded Warriors and the USO.....l
Was interesting to read about the USO, I had wrongly assumed they were connected organizationally to the military. Obviously there is much coordination between the two but they run their own show (no pun intended;)). I also had no idea about their history, basically when WWII erupted several religious based organizations like Salvation Army, YMCA, YWCA and others were doing their own thing to support the troops and the United Services Organization was formed to get them working under the same tent.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Don't forget about the AmVets. The post I'm a member of absolutely supports veterans. Its nice to be able to sit down next to a vet who was wounded in WWII and still has enough breath left in him to tell his stories. I'm always up for buying a vet a drink.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks TriggerTime and mishtub, those have been added also

1 - 12 of 12 Posts