Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Count Ursunk
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bluing looks pretty good other than the light surface rust. What is the best way to remove the rust without much damage to the bluing? My nephew has had the rifle for a few years and lack of care has caused the problem. Thanks for any advice guys.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Go to a (real) hardware store or a Marine Supply store and buy some bronze wool. Apply some oil to the rusty areas and rub with the bronze wool. It will remove the rust, but not damage the bluing.

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
I use hoppes 9 and paper towels. Next I repeat with gun oil and paper towels until the paper towels don't show any rust. The paper towels are only very mildly abrasive and will help to preserve the finish.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I've had good luck removing surface rust without removing the bluing with 0000 steel wool and a light gun or even 3 in 1 oil. Gently and lightly are the key words.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use 0000 Bronze Wool for everything. From cleaning all kinds of metal to cleaning the windshields of my vehicles. Lasts forever and doesn't leave little bits of rust fibers around.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Count Ursunk
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot guys. The rifle belonged to my father-in-law and I'd like to get it looking like he wanted it to be.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Use very fine copper or bronze wool ..0000 fine.. and the oil of your choice , rub gently and use plenty oil .
The big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaning Pad was very coarse and had sharp edges ... I bought one but never could bring myself to use it on any surface rust... I think it will scratch like the devil ! I did use it inside a shotgun barrel but it's coils are large and rough , I prefer steel / copper 0000 wool any day ! If you get the Big 45 pad ...try it out on something you don't care about ... it just seems way to rough .
Brownell's has the proper copper wool , any good oil can be used go slow and gently .
Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts