Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ATF sent my "tax stamp" to my LGS last wednesday so I could pick up my supressor. Went to the range today. What a "hoot"!! You still know that a gun has been fired, but as the name implies, the sound is really surpressed.
Fired 100 rounds of Federal bulk pack with no problems. Tried some Aguila sub-sonic 60 gr. In 30 rounds I had 7 or 8 stovepipes/failure to feed. My 22/45 lite does not like that ammo. (It did function perfectly in my S&W, M&P 15/22 with the supressor attached.)
I live in a subdivision with houses on both sides and across the street, but nothing behind me. The squirrel and rabbit populations are soon to be thined out some.:)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun.
Would you mind telling me the brand of sight you put on it and how you like it?
I just bought my wife a MK III Competition and a sight like that might
be just the ticket for our old eyes. I don't want a scope, they are too bulky
and I have a larger red dot by Burris on my Buck Mark that works very well.
I think something smaller like what you have may work nicely.

·
Registered
185 Posts
What can, man?

I started the gestation period for my tax stamp last month....I hope to be shooting by Memorial Day. What brand of can did you buy? I bought a Hunterstown Guardian.

I shoot a 22/45 Threaded (10150), replaced the fixed sights with adjustables and added a rail for the future. WRT optics, I just bought a Bushnell TRS-25 on eBay for $80 delivered. 3 MOA should work better for my 25 yd bullseye shooting.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sight is a burris fastfire, this one:Burris FastFire II Reflex Red Dot Sight 4 MOA Picatinny Mount Matte
I have tried several of the less expensive ones with multiple reticles and have found them to not hold zero. This one does.
The can itself is a sparrow. I chose it because I can disassemble and clean it. (.22 ammo is all very dirty)
The tax stamp took exactly 11 weeks from the day I sent the paperwork out, to the day it was received at the LGS, FFL. I was surprised at the short time. I was expecting at least 16 weeks.:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
use regular ammo if your barrel is short enough to not make the bullet go at super sonic speeds. That should fix the issues you have.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Jstanfield103, Clyde; thanks for the responses. I will check in to them.
Our old eyes have trouble with iron sights, even with bright dots but my Burris XT-135 red dot works very well. A nice sharp red point that is in focus.
However it is a bit large and bulky to put on my wife's pistol.
Something physically smaller would be much better.

I'm not even sure how a red dot works but they are impressive sights.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The can itself is a sparrow. I chose it because I can disassemble and clean it. (.22 ammo is all very dirty)
The tax stamp took exactly 11 weeks from the day I sent the paperwork out, to the day it was received at the LGS, FFL. I was surprised at the short time. I was expecting at least 16 weeks.:)
The Guardian I ordered is the same, easily broken down for cleaning. Both end caps screw off.

11 weeks! Amazing! Everyone I've spoken to here in PA say the wait is upwards of seven months. I'm hoping mine is faster than that. Having held a DoD clearance for 20 years and having a still-current TSA hazmat endorsement on my CDL means I'm certainly "in the system" so maybe that will speed things up.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Everything you shoot through that short barrel will be subsonic.
"Subsonic" labelled loads may or may not cycle the action.
I personally don't see much point in the loss of power & stick to normal stuff.

There's a slight difference in sound levels between "subsonic" and standard, hi-vel, and hyper-vel, but all are safe to shoot without ear protection & none will produce the sonic crack.
Denis

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Guardian I ordered is the same, easily broken down for cleaning. Both end caps screw off.

11 weeks! Amazing! Everyone I've spoken to here in PA say the wait is upwards of seven months. I'm hoping mine is faster than that. Having held a DoD clearance for 20 years and having a still-current TSA hazmat endorsement on my CDL means I'm certainly "in the system" so maybe that will speed things up.
I also have a current hazmat endorsement on my CDL as well as a current "S" (school bus) endorsement. They may have had some bearing on the time, but I doubt it as most gov. agency's do not talk to each other.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The thing that takes a good part of the time is the FBI running the fingerprints, and they won't have any idea about, or interest in, any other part of your life outside LE alerting channels.

Nobody will check your driver's license or DOD clearance, nor could they care less about a hazmat clearance or bus endorsement. :)

They're only interested in criminal history & outstanding wants.
Denis

·
Registered
185 Posts
The thing that takes a good part of the time is the FBI running the fingerprints, and they won't have any idea about, or interest in, any other part of your life outside LE alerting channels.

Nobody will check your driver's license or DOD clearance, nor could they care less about a hazmat clearance or bus endorsement. :)

They're only interested in criminal history & outstanding wants.
Denis
The clearance and hazmat processes both require fingerprinting, as did my two LTCF applications. So the FBI has had me in their system a number of times in the past. All of these prints were taken for that very reason...criminal background checks. And I had the results from all of them within a few weeks at most except for my first clearance, which took about three months (first time through, Cold War mentality, and early 80s technology).

And, since the formation of DHS a lot more information is being shared between alphabet agencies, although I grant you the system has not been perfected... therein, perhaps, lies our hope of safety from our guvmint.

BATFE builds inefficiencies into the process. The application package goes to Atlanta where the package is broken out and the $200 check cashed. I presume the 10-cards go to FBI somewhere (Beckley, WV? DC?) and the rest goes to Martinsburg, WV for review. And from what I have read they are understaffed for the workload they have.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Each time you submit, the prints are run again. You may have put yourself on the radar since the last time you submitted. Things change, including your possible status as a convicted felon or as a wanted person.
You mentioned running your prints several times before, that's why it's done several times, to stay current.

For many years, on anything Class III & things such as dealer FFLs, the FBI lag time has been roughly three months. For other more prioritized requests from an agency, the interval can be lessened.
If it's currently speedier, that's great.

They will not care about your status the last time your prints were run, they'll be looking for flags this time.

DOD & hazmat are irrelevant to them for this purpose, they will not look at your driver's license. They will not bounce your name around numerous federal & state agencies to see what they come up with.
Denis

1 - 14 of 14 Posts