Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched to blackhorn powder after reading alot of good things about it. but after a day at the range iam wondering if i made a mistake. iam shooting a cva wolf the older one without the QRPB. replaced the the breech plug for one to use with the blackhorn 209 powder. shooting a 250grain shockwaves. and can not get it to group. tryed useing 90 grain and worked up to110grain of powder, still dont group very well they are all over the place. but i went back to useing pellets and shoot 1"2" groups again.at 100 yards so what the hell? thought that stuff was suppose to be better than t7 pellets? or is it just the gun. likes one more than the other? just pisses me off i spent the extra money for something that dont work. any help please. thanks chuck.:mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont think it was the primers, was useing cci209. and was measureing powder very carefully.

·
Registered
20 Posts
try using different sabots for your bullets. also try different primers. I shoot it through my tc omega and had to experiment a little. Started shooting 90 grains with hornady sst. printed sub groups. after the rifle got broke in I shoot 100-110grain charges with same grouping. The gun I have does not shoot real great with the black sabot 250 gr shokwaves. it seems to do better with certain sabots over others.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I also shoot BH and have no trouble, 110 gr. with a 250 gr. shock wave and cci mag primers. i shoot a T/C , I can't understand what could be going wrong. but if the pellets are working for you i would stick with them...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have 100gr of Pyrodex Pellets grouping sub 1" @ 100 yards. I'm not messing with my set up even though I have the urge to.

FWIW I'm also using the 250gr Shockwave Sabots out of a T/C Triumph

·
Registered
434 Posts
try using the federal 209A primiers. I have seen these listed as wells as the CCI 209 primier for use with Blackhorm 209. going to try this myself this weekend. I picked up some last year and never got around to trying it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts