Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may be aware, I recently got a Used GP100 that my Wife will be giving me for Christmas. I bought the gun and then gave it to her to put in her safe until the appointed day. :)

I've been a "revolver man" for over twenty years with some forays in to carrying autoloaders. I always go back to the revolver, eventhough I last qualified with a revolver for "Duty Carry" back in 1997.

Right now my Off-Duty guns are a S&W 22-4 in 45 acp and a S&W 442 in 38 Spl. I saw a man the other day that scared the living bejesus out of me and makes me want every advantage, even if it's just a "perceived" advantage, that I can get.

I most definately will be switching back to the 357 Magnum as soon as I can. I ordered a case of Black Hills 125 Grain JHP's in 357 Magnum and plan to do a lot of practicing.

The reason I switched to the 45 acp wheelgun was because it's a little easier to shoot than the 357. Now I'm thinking, Bugger That, I want the real thing with the best "Stopping Power" I can get for self defensive purposes.

I plan to sent the GP100 off to Gemini to have it ported and "slicked up" a bit, as I've posted before. However the individual I dealt with and saw made this a more urgent want. No threats have been made to me or anything, and I was left with dealing with the "aftermath" of this individual's situation.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm limited in what I can say, but let me just say this, I've never been as scared as I was recently and I've been carrying a gun for over twenty years and have dealt with some real bad guys in my LEO career.

Thanks again, Biker

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Hope everything works out for you. I wouldn't feel undergunned with the .45 or the .357. Either one should be a good choice.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I've met a couple that were so full of anger and evil they seemed bigger than life...but they didn't make me want a .357-they made me glad I still carried my .45 under my coat:D...there are some evil people out there that are driven by more than human power...it's wise to be alarmed and re-think our defenses...I gon't think the .357 is any better than a .45, but whatever you decide works best for you will be interwoven with your skill and experience and become your "vest" of defense...and what works for you just may not work for me....but I'll PM you my dealer's address and you can send me that 22-4---it would be the epitome of comfort for me....anything that I couldn't stop with the .45(or .44 Spl) I should be reaching for a long gun, anyways....
Now to our members:we should pray for our LEOs safety every day...there are people so evil out there that they chill the blood and most of us never even see them...and our Brothers in Blue face them daily...thank God for the thin Blue Line.......

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I think a man should carry what he shoots best. IMHO I think LEO's should be able to buy any gun they wish for duty and off duty.

Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Good point-I carried 2 and 3 for my time-rules be damned...the rules won't save your butt when you're in a tight and the radio won't work or you can't use it...it's what you have with you, not in the car, that you have to work with...and that's noone's business but your own, I think!!!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Grand Pappy always said "When fighting for your life second place is the first looser and gets the dirt overcoat". Makes sense to me and that's why I say shoot what you shoot best. Evil knows no bounds and you might meet it in another person at any time.

Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My thoughts are, do you have a long gun in an appropriate caliber (12ga, 223 with good loads, 30 caliber rifle etc) to have around? And in an action that you are comfortable with?

Have you given thought to a serious second gun like a small frame 357? Yes, the lightweight 38's are nice but from the sound of it something heavier might raise the comfort level some.

Steelheart

1 - 8 of 8 Posts