Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the T/CR22 with BX-25 magazines?
Do you have the same failure to feed and failure to eject problems that are well documented with the Ruger 10/22?

I saw one video that showed that the BX-25's wobble a lot more in the T/CR22 vs the 10/22, which is most likely the cause of all of the failures. I saw other videos that show that the T/CR22 doesn't have any failures with BX-25's after thousands of rounds.

My BX-25 magazines do not wobble as much in my Charger and I have very few failures with the Charger.

Also, does anyone have experience with the 10/22 Takedown and BX-25 magazines? Since my Charger Takedown works well, I a wondering if the geometry of the Takedown receiver works better with BX-25's.

Yes, I know that I can use my BX-1 magazines. They are more difficult to load and I think it is annoying to have to change magazines every 10 rounds.

My 10/22 is on it's way to Ruger for the 3rd time. I am looking for alternatives, if they aren't able to fix it. I want to stick with a semi-auto.

I like some of the features of the T/CR22 but I am concerned that it would also fail with BX-25's.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have a 10/22 takedown and 2 BX-25 mags. My experience is that with decent ammo, clean gun and clean mags, they work fine. I could have been lucky with the gun, the mags or both. As things start to get dirty, or the ammo quality goes down, the problems come up, but are maybe 2-3 a mag. As far as dirty goes, this begins after about 80-90 shots, so typically during the 4th mag. The ten rounders work all the time with any ammo. Since I only use the BX-25's for fun at the range, I just clear and move on. I always use the 10 rounder for hunting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As things start to get dirty, or the ammo quality goes down, the problems come up, but are maybe 2-3 a mag. As far as dirty goes, this begins after about 80-90 shots, so typically during the 4th mag.
What problems do you start having? My failures occur with a totally clean gun and magazines. It sounds like your failure rate is about the same as mine.
Any thoughts on why my Charger does not have the same failures?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I do not own and have not shot a charger, so I can't speak to that. The failures I get are usually failure to eject when the gun is dirty, an occasional failure to feed when the gun is clean but using cheap ammo, so I suspect the ammo to be the culprit there. You may be on to something with the takedown being the difference, so it would be good to have a survey of takedown vs standard 10/22 models and how they work with the BX-25 mags.

If the takedown feature doesn't make the difference, and I'm not sure how it would, there is obviously something else at play. Assuming you have the same failures and rates with multiple mags, that would indicate the gun or the ammo. While CCI Minimags are the "gold standard", I have had just as good luck with Federal match rounds. The "bucket o bullets" I bought when I first got the rifle are not perfect, but run better than 2-3 failures per mag when everything is clean.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not own and have not shot a charger, so I can't speak to that. The failures I get are usually failure to eject when the gun is dirty, an occasional failure to feed when the gun is clean but using cheap ammo, so I suspect the ammo to be the culprit there. You may be on to something with the takedown being the difference, so it would be good to have a survey of takedown vs standard 10/22 models and how they work with the BX-25 mags.

If the takedown feature doesn't make the difference, and I'm not sure how it would, there is obviously something else at play. Assuming you have the same failures and rates with multiple mags, that would indicate the gun or the ammo. While CCI Minimags are the "gold standard", I have had just as good luck with Federal match rounds. The "bucket o bullets" I bought when I first got the rifle are not perfect, but run better than 2-3 failures per mag when everything is clean.
The BX-25 magazine slop is much less with my Charger. Is it a difference in the receiver or the stock? Who knows.

How much slop do you have in your Takedown?

The 10 rounders don't have much slop and do not fail. I don't understand why Ruger chose to make the head of the BX-25's shorter than the 10 rounders.
I have failures with CCI Minimags and SV, as well as Aguila, Federal, and Remington ammo. I do have more failures to feed with cheaper ammo. Currently, I am not having many failures to feed, other than those that occur with a failure to eject.

If you have the same failures with your Takedown, that does not appear to be a solution for me. With 2-3 failures per magazine, it is probably less of a hassle to just use the 10 rounders. The next round is frequently damaged when it stovepipes the spent casing so I am wasting ammo as well.

I have ordered a folding brace for my Charger that would make it more like a rifle, but would still be easy to take down. The braces are on backorder until at least the middle of September. Hopefully, the ATF won't ban them before I receive mine.

I have been considering getting the bolt action precision rifle. I prefer a semi-auto, but I think the precision rifle would be a lot of fun too and it should eliminate all of the failures.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same, I have very few failures with my BX-25s.. usually its ammo failure not a feeding issue. Maybe try them in a different 10/22 and see how they work?

·
Cat Herder
1,643 Posts
I have the TCR22, but I've not put many rounds through it yet. One of my BX25 mags had no failures in the one time it's been used, the other had three or four, but I was using the really cheap Federal Black Pack stuff. I havent tried mini Mags yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the TCR22, but I've not put many rounds through it yet. One of my BX25 mags had no failures in the one time it's been used, the other had three or four, but I was using the really cheap Federal Black Pack stuff. I havent tried mini Mags yet.
Ahh that in itself might be the problem. I know the TCR22 is supposed to be a 10/22 clone, but sometimes the clone is just barely different enough to cause issues like that.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The BX-25 magazine slop is much less with my Charger. Is it a difference in the receiver or the stock? Who knows.

How much slop do you have in your Takedown?

The 10 rounders don't have much slop and do not fail. I don't understand why Ruger chose to make the head of the BX-25's shorter than the 10 rounders.
I have failures with CCI Minimags and SV, as well as Aguila, Federal, and Remington ammo. I do have more failures to feed with cheaper ammo. Currently, I am not having many failures to feed, other than those that occur with a failure to eject.

If you have the same failures with your Takedown, that does not appear to be a solution for me. With 2-3 failures per magazine, it is probably less of a hassle to just use the 10 rounders. The next round is frequently damaged when it stovepipes the spent casing so I am wasting ammo as well.

I have ordered a folding brace for my Charger that would make it more like a rifle, but would still be easy to take down. The braces are on backorder until at least the middle of September. Hopefully, the ATF won't ban them before I receive mine.

I have been considering getting the bolt action precision rifle. I prefer a semi-auto, but I think the precision rifle would be a lot of fun too and it should eliminate all of the failures.
I'll have to check the "slop, but I don't recall the mags being loose. i do know if you grab them or rest the gun on them they will definitely fail.

And again, I typically have no failures until the gun starts to get dirty. .22 is a dirty round and calls for more frequent cleaning. I have chalked it up to that as I have used several different types of ammo. Even when dirty, the 10 round mag works fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts