Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a TacSol barrel this past summer specifically to loose the weight it's 1/2 the weight of the factory barrel...

Factory tapered steel 18" barrel weighed 28.5 oz...

TacSol .920 diameter fluted aluminum 16" barrel weighed in at 14.2 oz...

Day and night difference...love it...

I didn't expect to get 20" steel bull barrel with Bentz chamber results for accuracy...however, now that I have what I have for the reasons I got it I am happy but want to maximize the accuracy of the gun at 100 meters...

Have experimented with a lot of high velocity...some standard velocity and some hyper velocity...

So far my best results are with Game Shok high velocity...

Close second are 40gr mini mags followed closely by 36gr mini mags...

So for those of you who have this barrel...

What kind of accuracy do you get with what ammo and at what distances...

TIA
ZG

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was looking at the TI 18" matte black threaded barrel. Is there any info on ammo limitations. Besides the weight, the stock carbine barrel is kicking ass. I have 4 cases of stingers, and I would hate to find out I can't use them if needed.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Green Mountain makes a barrel chambered and rifled specifically for stingers...

MOST bull barrels are 'match' also called 'bentz' chambers...including my Tactical Solutions aluminum barrel...

You should NOT use stingers in a match or bentz chamber...they will be prone to cycling problems AND ream the match chamber which is made for improved accuracy over the factory barrel chamber which is longer to accept stingers...

The problem with stingers specifically is the case is longer than normal 22LR...

Other Hyper ammo such as Velocitors, Vipers, Super-X have normal length cases and have not been a problem for me...

The Tactical Innovations is NOT the same as Tactical Solutions...

As far as I know all the TI barrel offerings are either steel or stainless steel...

I am not sure if their tapered barrel offerings are match chambers or not...contact them for that...

------------------------------

NOW...

No more hi-jacking... :D

Looking for feedback from others with aluminum barrels same or similar to mine...like TacSol, Whistle Pig...I am not aware of any other aluminum barrel makers but if there are any I would like to know...

Thanks,
ZG

------------------------------

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will post some pics on what I found with various types of ammunition tonight.
I didn't realize you had an aluminum barrel...if so that is great...if not I appreciate the offer but I think it would be a waste of your time...

Specifically looking to compare notes with people with aluminum barrels...especially the TacSol...

Thanks,
ZG

·
Registered
334 Posts
I didn't realize you had an aluminum barrel...if so that is great...if not I appreciate the offer but I think it would be a waste of your time...

Specifically looking to compare notes with people with aluminum barrels...especially the TacSol...

Thanks,
ZG
I do not have an aluminum barrel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts