Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mounted a Nikon prostaff scope on my takedown, but it won't fit in the ruger bag. Thought about quick mount scope rings, but was told I would have to resight if I take the scope off. Does anyone have an after market bag, similar to Rugers you could recommend, or do the quick mount rings maintain zero? I contacted Ruger and suggested they make the bag about 3" longer but they have no plans to do so, kind of surprised they did not think of this............

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I was seriously considering the 3x9x40 Prostaff vs the P-22 2x7 and I think because I know the P-22 will fit in the bag while mounted I am leaning that way. I am not sure if the quick mount rings would hold zero or not. I am inclined to think there would be some deviation, even if re-mounted in the same spot, but I don't know for sure. Sorry Opie. Oh, and welcome to the forum. I am new too.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
how long is your nikon? i just bought a cheap little simmons scope for mine, but cheap or not, it is just barely short enough that it fits in the bag. the inside velcro flaps don't close properly, but the bag itself still zips up just fine.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I put a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 Rimfire scope on mine with quick release rings on it. Works perfectly. I believe the rings were Millet. I bought them from Midway.

Testing the scope mounts, I was shooting at a gong 300 yards away. I would shoot four or five shots, take the gun apart, reassemble and shoot again. Flawless. I could not be happier with that gun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I mounted a Prostaff 3-9x40 using Burris Quick-Release Weaver style rings and a Power Custom Weaver style base. Scope comes off and fits into the extra pocket beside the barrel. No change in zero noticed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got the 4x Nikon with quick release rings. I keep the rings on the scope obviously, and put the scope back on in the same exact spot every time, and I have not had an issue with losing zero.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have the Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 scope on my TD. I put the barrel in one of the narrow sleeves and end up putting the stock butt-end down outside of the sleeves and am able to zip the bag completely closed, albeit a bit dicey around the top where the scope is. I may have to look into a removable mount you guys mention and am glad to hear you're getting good results with the rig returning to zero with consistency.

I've had my eye on an S.O. Tech Go Bag - Extended along with the Go Bag Extended padded insert but am not sure it will fit. The specified inside length is 23" and there are two outside pockets like the Ruger bag. MOLLE attachment points as well.

Google this one guys and let me know what you think. Anyone tried this with the TD?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I bought a Konus 4x32. The rings that came with it didn't work so I used a set of Weaver rings that I had. Nice set-up and it fits in the bag. Bore sighted the scope but haven't had a chance to shoot it. Will give it a try soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Takedown bag additions

Don't use a scope on my TD so that long internal pocket holds a 1 1/2" section of black drain pipe for rounds I know are always there. Holds 400-450 rounds with dessicant. Trim the 4 corners of the 50 round plastic trays so they just slide in snug. Any way you turn it, the trays hold the rounds. Even room for cleaning rods, patches, etc. Sure, could probably fill the tube with 1000 loose or bagged rounds.
Tube adds pillar strength to entire bag so I don't worry about just slinging into truck. Probably about $7 to build. Could make 2 tubes & use one to hold solvent/lube only.

Stitched a Scobby-Doo patch over the Ruger crest.

Gun socks: Cut 1 in half for rifle. Cut another in sections for 6 - 25 round clips. Add a handful of 10 rounds clips. That should do it.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Don't use a scope on my TD so that long internal pocket holds a 1 1/2" section of black drain pipe for rounds I know are always there. Holds 400-450 rounds with dessicant. Trim the 4 corners of the 50 round plastic trays so they just slide in snug. Any way you turn it, the trays hold the rounds. Even room for cleaning rods, patches, etc. Sure, could probably fill the tube with 1000 loose or bagged rounds.
Tube adds pillar strength to entire bag so I don't worry about just slinging into truck. Probably about $7 to build. Could make 2 tubes & use one to hold solvent/lube only.

Stitched a Scobby-Doo patch over the Ruger crest.

Gun socks: Cut 1 in half for rifle. Cut another in sections for 6 - 25 round clips. Add a handful of 10 rounds clips. That should do it.
cool idea! i may try that myself. i also went to the ruger website and bought another one of the slings so i now have one for each side and can wear it like a backpack.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I put the barrel in the smaller outermost pocket and my Vortex 2-7x35 with. Warne QD rings in the larger pocket....holds zero fine. I did use a Tactical Solutions picatinny rail on the receiver instead of the Ruger rail. Very happy with the set up and the Ruger bag works fine this way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts