Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promised myself I'd buy a 22 next Black Friday becuase they always seem to be so cheap. Well its next black friday, almost.

Originally I was going to get a marlin or remington becuase they are only $100but I decided I want the tried and true 10/22. My issue is I can get a regular ol wood stock model for 200 or I can get the take down model for 280, before tax on those figures btw.

This will purely be a rifle Im buying just to enjoy shooting and to add a 22 to my collection. Honestly Im not even sure if it will be taken apart but I do see the ability to take it apart like that as a convenience.

Anyway, I was wondering are there any down falls to the take down model? Anything special I should kow as a non 22 owner and a non 10/22 owner?
Will I be limited in after market accesories especially replacement stocks?
Is accuracy effected compared to a non Takedown model?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i have both, and i love both. my main observations would be that i seem to be a fair bit more accurate with the standard carbine than the takedown. also, for the money, you can't go wrong with the regular 10/22. in my neck of the woods the takedown costs roughly $100 more. don't get me wrong-- if i had it to do over again i'd still probably get both. i just know i get more accuracy and joy out of my regular 10/22, but that's just me...

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Either one is a good choice.
Either way you can't loose.
true 'dat!

i actually just got a wooden stock off ebay that i'm going to try to morph onto my TD as a winter project to replace the synthetic stock. should be fun, but again, you really can't lose with those two.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think the novelty of the Take Down and the election has driven it's price up. I would start with the Carbine and wait to get a TD. The fact that it breaks down would be a negative if I were buying my first 10/22. I think the regular Joe 10/22 has more aftermarket gear and I want to put my style into it or at least have that option. For me the Ruger stock is too small for my large wingspan and frame.

Honestly, I don't know if the aftermarket gear is compatible with the TD.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I have an "LVT", and the "TD". Love them both.
Two different rifles, for two different purposes. The LVT for target, and the TD is my "bug-out" rifle. Fantastic either way.

A local sporting goods store is blowing out the base model 10/22RB on Black Friday for $179. I may need a third 10/22 just because I can.....

Good luck in your search!

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
I think the novelty of the Take Down and the election has driven it's price up. I would start with the Carbine and wait to get a TD. The fact that it breaks down would be a negative if I were buying my first 10/22. I think the regular Joe 10/22 has more aftermarket gear and I want to put my style into it or at least have that option. For me the Ruger stock is too small for my large wingspan and frame.

Honestly, I don't know if the aftermarket gear is compatible with the TD.
I would be curious how many owners actually need the funtion of the takedown?

·
Banned
163 Posts
Can't imagine in my scenario brain why I would a take down as a bug out gun. wouldn't be any 22 in any regard. Get the wood one and get you the Butler Creek folding stock. Heavy duty metal hinge and works like a top. A little pricey but good, use the money you save. Folded down it will fit underneath a overcoat with ease. Solid lock up and no impact on accuracy.

Reb

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
Can't imagine in my scenario brain why I would a take down as a bug out gun. wouldn't be any 22 in any regard. Get the wood one and get you the Butler Creek folding stock. Heavy duty metal hinge and works like a top. A little pricey but good, use the money you save. Folded down it will fit underneath a overcoat with ease. Solid lock up and no impact on accuracy.

Reb
Thats what I have and use.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My vote is for the carbine. The take down is a nice idea for someone who needs the function for storage or to pack it while hunting. It also appeals to those who have other 10/22s and wanted a lil something different. The take down doesn't accept some of the popular mods that alot of owners like to do to their rifle, plus it's more expensive.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I would want a .22 rifle in a disaster situation (in addition to my larger caliber guns). the benefits of a 22 are appealing. It's light and so are the .22LR ammo (Just imagine carrying 2000 rounds on your back). It is a quiet gun for small game hunting (you wouldn't be advertising your location with a large caliber gunshot). I would not consider the 10/22 or the TD to be a Bug Out Gun.

Regardless of your opinion of doomsday, I think the TD is a novelty that 90% of owners won't need. For practical functionality and personalization, the carbine is hands down the better choice.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Have to agree that sales of the TD are probably motivated by it's being different or it's being kind of cool (and it is). Not sure how many folks actually need that TD feature, but, then, need is a funny word when it comes to buying guns.

For a first 10/22, though, I'd save my money and get a standard 10/22 of some type and maybe add the TD, later. Oh, yes, 10/22s are addictive and there is a good chance you won't stop at one. :)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,526 Posts
cdj588, It all depends what the future has in store for your 10/22. For a general purpose shooter ... it probably won't make any difference which model you choose. If you plan to do any custom work such as a target barrel or custom stock, a standard 10/22 carbine is your best bet. Because the TD is fairly new, there isn't much aftermarket support for barrels or stocks but that will likely change if the TD remains popular.

I own several 10/22s, including a TD. I'm not sure why I bought it ... probably just for the novelty of owning a take down model and the nifty backpack. It shoots great and functions fine .... but in all honesty, no better than a standard carbine. The only advantage is the take down feature, which also makes cleaning the bore a bit easier. All internal receiver parts are compatible with other 10/22s. All other "features" favor a standard carbine model.

It's your money but if I were making the decision, I would get a standard 10/22 carbine. Maybe by the time you feel the need for another 10/22 (which is likely to happen), there will be more aftermarket custom parts for a TD.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
One reason I bought the TD is that the weight is less than 5lbs. My LVT is 7.5 PLUS the scope! My daughters have a difficult time shouldering up the heavier rifle.......still makes a good bug-out rifle IF you don't want to carry that full-size M77Mk2 with you......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.