Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

New to the forum here and looking for some advice.

I own an SR9 and love it. When shooting my grip places my left thumb right on top of the take down pin on the left side of the firearm (right handed shooter).

The pin on that side is a fairly good size piece of metal that is very smooth. When I shoot my thumb slides off.

Are there places that can machine me a new takedown pin with some modification that will leave either a very slight protrusion or texture that i can rest my thumb on? I feel that this would increase my control of the firearm tremendously.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
How about a bit of skateboard grip tape on there. You can get a roll of it off of amazon for $10. Take out the takedown pin and trace it onto the back of the grip tape and then exacto knife it to fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that is a good idea and considered it. My only concern is that if I went and shot 100-200 in an outing, that the grip tape would take the skin off my thumb.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think that is a good idea and considered it. My only concern is that if I went and shot 100-200 in an outing, that the grip tape would take the skin off my thumb.
Well, it would sure be cheap to try and see if that is the case. I have skateboard tape on the entire grip of my SR9 and it feels really solid in my hand, but it does not chafe my hand at all in use.

If you do something custom to your takedown pin, you will probably be looking at a much larger investment than some $10 tape, so it may be worth a shot first.

The other option is to visit your local gunsmith and tell him what you want. He may be able to fabricate a new pin or modify the one you have to do what you want. You won't know until you ask!

Good luck and enjoy your SR9!

·
Registered
12 Posts
you can actually file down grip tape. Just find a rougher sandpaper than the grip tape and you can take some of the "rough" out of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I was thinking of trying some different grit levels. I was curious if anybody else felt the same way I did or if it was just me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a lefty so I don't have the issue. But I have put grip tape on index points on the right sight of pistols do my thumb goes to the same place every time.

I have the ruberized Talon Grips on both my SR9c and SR9. Love them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I found some stair tread tape at a local Sherwin Williams paint store that wasn't too rough and used it on my issued Glock 37 before I retired. It's still on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts