Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've talked about it forever and I finally decided to sign up for a CCL class. I'm going next Saturday, the 4th, to do the all day class. We're starting at 8am and will probably end late in the day. I'll be excited to finally be able to carry my gun with me. Most of my holsters are meant for concealed carry and it will also be nice to use them without fear of getting in trouble. The only thing that sucks is that I can't carry on campus so when I got to school I have to leave it in the car or at home. If there's one place I go daily where I would like some protection it's on campus, especially at night.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
decisions, decisions, which weapon will you take the course with?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Congrats on taking the course, the more training and more ccw's out there, the better off we all are.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
afraid you will have to find another KY member as probably most States are probably a bit different.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
The class will be informing you of the do's and don't for ccw carry and which states allow and which startes don't. There will be some situations of BG coming waht are you going to do? That sorta of thing, atleast here in Texas its done that way. And I am sure your class will run about the same.
Good luck and I am sure ya will do fine, as deputy said we need more out there

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here in Kansas you get every law there is read to you and somewhat explained. The instructor says he is not an attorney so if there is questions as to the laws you need to research through an attorney.

Safe handling of hanguns will also be discussed if it is like here. Lots of the day was spent on that.

The link at the top of this forum can let you find out the Kentucky laws pertaining to carry and you can get a head start on the course so you will be more comfortable taking it.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/527-00/CHAPTER.HTM

tk

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I know you're proud of your new Sig but lemme suggest something to you...lots of instructors have range guns available to qualify with and lots of those are Glocks (9mm)....they are probably the easiest semi-auto for a person to pick up and shoot accurately...even those who've never fired any gun...I'd qualify with one of those, if possible, and then shoot your Sig lots to get that good with it...rather than maybe needing to shoot again to qualify...I'd borrow/rent one before I'd qualify with a little auto that I'd not shot a lot and maybe shoot a low score...in Tx, we qualify with an auto and can carry autos or revolvers...qualify with a revolver, can't carry an auto...so most qualify with an auto....and in both classes I've been through, even Glock-haters admitted they shoot real easy and real straight...wish someone'd alert the NYPD of that!!!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Way to go David,
here the instructor spent a lot of the time going through the laws and with some time spent on practical carrying, holster selection and proper concealment, where you can carry and where not, basics on gun nomenclature and function, differences between revolver and auto pistol, shooting and sight picture, then went into a role play with some scenerios that might be encountered. After I think 16 hrs we went to the range on a Saturday and qualified with weapon of choice. But were not restricted to carry just that type. So I went with my 1911 and the 45NMBH conv. with the 45acp cyl installed. Our instructor was a local PD academy instructor and range officer. Really good guy. Over all a good experience and worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Congratulations - welcome to the club.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.