Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't hand loaded since the 80's. Been collecting my brass for a year and a half with no thought of reloading. Till I realized that I had filled 4 Plano ammo cans. The thought of the $$ I spent on ammo changed my mind fast.

Expecting a large box from Midway. Ordered a Lee Classic 4 hole Turret Press Deluxe kit. So expect a lot of questions. Would appreciate input from anyone with the same Lee Press. Good choice?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Great choice. You'll love it. Be sure and order extra turrets. The Lee round die storage boxes are a great way of storing your turrets of various calibers.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I'm just starting out (this year). I ordered the Lee turret press... so far, so good. Right now I'm using it as a single stage press. I will eventually load using the turret's progression.

I like it. It has allowed me to learn and will allow me to load faster as I become comfortable.

·
Registered
420 Posts
To start, think safety first. Focus on what you are doing, take your time, and follow the reloading manuals. Reload small batches (100 or less) and have fun.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Good choice. I really like mine. Make sure the Safety Prime is adjusted correctly. It works fine when it is properly adjusted. I put graphite on all the mating surfaces of the Pro Auto Disc for more reliable/consistent powder drops. Some run a few full hopper loads of powder through the Pro Auto Disc to get the same desired effect. Some also wash the hopper in dish detergent before use to circumvent static electricity. Wiping the hopper down with dryer sheets also works. I do it regularly. I go right to the horses mouth (LEE) when I have tech questions.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Nam Vet ... welcome back to our obsession.

I got back into reloading 3 years ago ... before that I learned from my brother (also a Nam Vet) back in the 70s. Sorta like riding a bike after laying off for a while ...a little wobbly at first, but it all comes back to you. :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I disabled the "auto-index" feature of my Lee turret and hand index a few days after I got it and have used it this way for several years and a few thousand rounds. I load 6 handgun calibers and 4 rifle calibers with no problems (F/L sizing 30-06 mil spec. cases is problem free). I batch load and have no need for a "semi-progressive" press, and like the "control" I feel with hand indexing. If I wanna run one case to completion, I can, but mostly I just do one or two steps per case for batches of 50-100, or for load development I can just do 5 or 10 rounds...

Plus I have about 10 die sets on Lee turrets so changing calibers is fast, and I also have 4 Lee sizing dies on one turret so I don't have to look for individual sizing dies (and the press is plenty strong). I have a ram prime on a turret so priming is a breeze too...

I think you'll like your Lee turret press.;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I disabled the "auto-index" feature of my Lee turret and hand index a few days after I got it and have used it this way for several years and a few thousand rounds. I load 6 handgun calibers and 4 rifle calibers with no problems (F/L sizing 30-06 mil spec. cases is problem free). I batch load and have no need for a "semi-progressive" press, and like the "control" I feel with hand indexing. If I wanna run one case to completion, I can, but mostly I just do one or two steps per case for batches of 50-100, or for load development I can just do 5 or 10 rounds...

Plus I have about 10 die sets on Lee turrets so changing calibers is fast, and I also have 4 Lee sizing dies on one turret so I don't have to look for individual sizing dies (and the press is plenty strong). I have a ram prime on a turret so priming is a breeze too...

I think you'll like your Lee turret press.;)
If I ever decide to go to a turret press, that's exactly the way I would run it. Batch processing works perfectly for me.

jd

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the encouragement guy's. I'm sure to be a regular here. My main interest is loading for my Virginian Dragoon 45LC. Sorry it's not a Ruger. But I will load for my SR9 & 45ACP.

<---------

·
Registered
134 Posts
i am setup for all my pistol calibers on the Lee LoadMaster
but..... i still use the Lee turret press its like a really handy single stage

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
It may be a bit of a ride for you but I encourage you to check out Eugene Salomon shooter supply in Farmingdale. It is the little gun shop that time forgot. Very unique place with posters from the 70's still on the walls. His specialty is reloading supplies but he also carries firearms. Generally, his prices are a little higher than buying on the interwebs but still cheaper than paying for shipping hazmat and ffl. Sometimes his prices are on par or lower than internet prices. For instance I looked at a Ruger 10/22 there and his price was $40 less than Cabela's and no S&H or FFL fee to boot. He also has the lowest FFL fee I know of $20 rifle $25 handgun. The guy is a walking reloading manual too. During the panic, his prices only changed relative to his cost, he did not hop on the price gouging bandwagon.

They keep very odd hours. Wed 6:30p-9p Fri 6:30p-9p and Sun 1p to 4p. They have a trap field and have a few clubs that shoot there on Sundays only. He also does 1 on 1 training for trap.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It may be a bit of a ride for you but I encourage you to check out Eugene Salomon shooter supply in Farmingdale. It is the little gun shop that time forgot. Very unique place with posters from the 70's still on the walls. His specialty is reloading supplies but he also carries firearms. Generally, his prices are a little higher than buying on the interwebs but still cheaper than paying for shipping hazmat and ffl. Sometimes his prices are on par or lower than internet prices. For instance I looked at a Ruger 10/22 there and his price was $40 less than Cabela's and no S&H or FFL fee to boot. He also has the lowest FFL fee I know of $20 rifle $25 handgun. The guy is a walking reloading manual too. During the panic, his prices only changed relative to his cost, he did not hop on the price gouging bandwagon.

They keep very odd hours. Wed 6:30p-9p Fri 6:30p-9p and Sun 1p to 4p. They have a trap field and have a few clubs that shoot there on Sundays only. He also does 1 on 1 training for trap.

Scorpio, I know about Salomon's. When Winchester shooting range in Englishtown closed my trap team shot at Salomon's. Haven't been there in years and forgot about him. To say his shop is unique is a understatement. Your right about his knowledge of reloading he's the man to go to. It's about 20 min. from me.
Thanks for for the reminder.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Thanks for all the encouragement guy's. I'm sure to be a regular here. My main interest is loading for my Virginian Dragoon 45LC. Sorry it's not a Ruger. But I will load for my SR9 & 45ACP.
<---------

Glad your getting back into it. I save a lot on 45ACP:cool:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Welcome and you will love your Lee press!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Nam Vet - welcome back to the addict.. oh I mean hobby
Ya, that's it - hobby! :eek: ;)

2 pieces of advise - don't get distracted.
Double charges SUCK!

Invest in several reloading manuals & consult them often.

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
Welcome back to reloaders anonomous!

I started back to reloading in 2000 after a 10 year hiatus. Ammo costs are part of it, but I can still taylor loads to my guns better than factory. Good choice on the press. My Rockchucker hasn't seen a pistol round in years, as the progressive mode on the classic is very fast. Changed to the micrometer adjustable powder measure, for most of my handgun stuff. Love being able to store the dies in the turrets ready to go in those round red plastic containers. I wish the dies still came in them as well, but I'll pay for the convenience.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the Lee Press all set up. Ordered cast bullets from Kings Shooters Supply 45LC 250LC RNFP. Going for large CCI primers and Titegroup on Wed. So it begins......:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Scorpio, I know about Salomon's. When Winchester shooting range in Englishtown closed my trap team shot at Salomon's. Haven't been there in years and forgot about him. To say his shop is unique is a understatement. Your right about his knowledge of reloading he's the man to go to. It's about 20 min. from me.
Thanks for for the reminder.

Wow the little dirt filled range in Englishtown, haven't been there since the late seventies. When did they close? Wow! :)

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow the little dirt filled range in Englishtown, haven't been there since the late seventies. When did they close? Wow! :)
Frank,

John and his wife sold Winchester Shooting Range I believe in the late 90's.
Been shooting there as you since the late 70's. We might have bumped into each other at one time. Lived in Englishtown for about 7 years.
My good friend Ron owned Englishtown Sporting Goods.
Small world.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Frank,

John and his wife sold Winchester Shooting Range I believe in the late 90's.
Been shooting there as you since the late 70's. We might have bumped into each other at one time. Lived in Englishtown for about 7 years.
My good friend Ron owned Englishtown Sporting Goods.
Small world.
Maybe guy whose signature is on the bottom of this receipt?
Been there many times back in the day.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts