Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LGS has a 454 Alaskan coming in tomorrow,can't really justify it,don't really need it already having a talo 3.75 inch SBH 44 but...
It's a rarity,its a ruger double action,it's probably the cream of the crop in revolvers,and I can afford it over a couple of weeks of overtime.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Well, you probably don't have a bear problem in Tucson, Arizona, but if an elephant escapes from the local zoo, you'll be prepared. :)

Heck, who needs an excuse to buy a great gun, anyway? I keep telling myself that I need a Ruger Alaskan. I've got myself convinced, but not our bank account. Definitely on my list, though.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Grab it. I was fondling a SRH Alaskan 44 magnum a few days ago. It was tempting but there is no doubt in my mind if it was a 454 I would have bought it. And I probably have less need for it than you do.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I probably have the least need of anybody to own a 454 Alaskan...but you know....when one came along I just couldn't resist and when the second one came along....I was weak again! I have absolutely no need for the 454 except that they are just plain FUN to shoot! Just so you don't forget what they look like....here's mine.

Several years ago I picked up the 44 Alaskan.....get it and enjoy it. Puts a smile on my face each pull of the trigger!

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
LGS has a 454 Alaskan coming in tomorrow,can't really justify it,don't really need it already having a talo 3.75 inch SBH 44 but...
It's a rarity,its a ruger double action,it's probably the cream of the crop in revolvers,and I can afford it over a couple of weeks of overtime.
Here's my simple formula I follow before deciding to buy a gun.

1.) Do I have one?
2.) Do I want one?
3.) Can I afford it?

Yes answers to 2 & 3 = equal buying it. Nevermind about #1. :D

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I know how you feel. I'm looking real hard at the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, and yet I don't hunt, or really get into long range rifle shooting. But I still really want that rifle, and life has enough regrets as it is without me adding to it by needlessly denying myself some pleasure!:D

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
...In other words...GITCHA ONE!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here's my simple formula I follow before deciding to buy a gun.

1.) Do I have one?
2.) Do I want one?
3.) Can I afford it?

Yes answers to 2 & 3 = equal buying it. Nevermind about #1. :D
I like your way of thinking. Nice, clear path to decision making.

When I am dithering about a purchase, my supportive wife always asks,
  • "Will you enjoy it?"
  • "Will you use it?"
If the answer is "Yes" to both questions she says,
  • "Then go ahead and get it.":D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'll just put it on lay away and have it in a couple of weeks. Those LCR 22's will still be there but this won't. Yea,I like that buy logic too!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I probably have the least need of anybody to own a 454 Alaskan...but you know....when one came along I just couldn't resist and when the second one came along....I was weak again! I have absolutely no need for the 454 except that they are just plain FUN to shoot! Just so you don't forget what they look like....here's mine.

Several years ago I picked up the 44 Alaskan.....get it and enjoy it. Puts a smile on my face each pull of the trigger!
OK - now we know why there's always a shortage of 454 Alaskans - 41RED has them all. :D

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Nope..... if you're old enough to own a handgun, you're old enough to make up your own mind..... :D
You're going to get it..... right ?

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I like your way of thinking. Nice, clear path to decision making.

When I am dithering about a purchase, my supportive wife always asks,
  • "Will you enjoy it?"
  • "Will you use it?"
If the answer is "Yes" to both questions she says,
  • "Then go ahead and get it.":D
Sounds like she's a keeper! :D

·
Super Moderator
21,415 Posts
1. Stoked with 45 colt that is a heck of a nightstand gun.

2. It gives you a good reason to take a trip to Alaska fishing or hunting.

3. It will test and help improve your skills if you shoot at 50/100 yards.

4. Just because you can.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Go for it!
Even if for some reason you have to get rid of it later, you'll have enjoyed it for a while AND there's always a market for it if you decide to sell.
It's a win/win situation!

·
Registered
134 Posts
DLB, we use them too.

I'm a lucky man who has a fantastic wife who supports my gun habit (not hobby) :). My wife and I use the same ones you use DLB, with two more.

"Can we afford it?"
"Will you enjoy it?"
"Will you use it?"
"Then Get it!"

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,305 Posts
Go for it. I only need one gun, the rest are just because I want them. I went for an extended .454 Casull, the S&W 460XVR.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep. The more I think about it,the more I want it. The LCR 22 was next on the buy list,but this popped up so soon it'll be mine.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You know if you don't get it and then it gets gone, you will always regret it. Hey, you can always sell it with no problems if you decide it was not for you. Look at it as an investment! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts