Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LGS has a 454 Alaskan coming in tomorrow,can't really justify it,don't really need it already having a talo 3.75 inch SBH 44 but...
It's a rarity,its a ruger double action,it's probably the cream of the crop in revolvers,and I can afford it over a couple of weeks of overtime.

· Registered
5,018 Posts
Well, you probably don't have a bear problem in Tucson, Arizona, but if an elephant escapes from the local zoo, you'll be prepared. :)

Heck, who needs an excuse to buy a great gun, anyway? I keep telling myself that I need a Ruger Alaskan. I've got myself convinced, but not our bank account. Definitely on my list, though.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Grab it. I was fondling a SRH Alaskan 44 magnum a few days ago. It was tempting but there is no doubt in my mind if it was a 454 I would have bought it. And I probably have less need for it than you do.

· Registered
1,806 Posts
I probably have the least need of anybody to own a 454 Alaskan...but you know....when one came along I just couldn't resist and when the second one came along....I was weak again! I have absolutely no need for the 454 except that they are just plain FUN to shoot! Just so you don't forget what they look like....here's mine.

Several years ago I picked up the 44 Alaskan.....get it and enjoy it. Puts a smile on my face each pull of the trigger!

· Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
LGS has a 454 Alaskan coming in tomorrow,can't really justify it,don't really need it already having a talo 3.75 inch SBH 44 but...
It's a rarity,its a ruger double action,it's probably the cream of the crop in revolvers,and I can afford it over a couple of weeks of overtime.
Here's my simple formula I follow before deciding to buy a gun.

1.) Do I have one?
2.) Do I want one?
3.) Can I afford it?

Yes answers to 2 & 3 = equal buying it. Nevermind about #1. :D

· Registered
6,722 Posts
I know how you feel. I'm looking real hard at the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, and yet I don't hunt, or really get into long range rifle shooting. But I still really want that rifle, and life has enough regrets as it is without me adding to it by needlessly denying myself some pleasure!:D

· Registered
132 Posts
Here's my simple formula I follow before deciding to buy a gun.

1.) Do I have one?
2.) Do I want one?
3.) Can I afford it?

Yes answers to 2 & 3 = equal buying it. Nevermind about #1. :D
I like your way of thinking. Nice, clear path to decision making.

When I am dithering about a purchase, my supportive wife always asks,
  • "Will you enjoy it?"
  • "Will you use it?"
If the answer is "Yes" to both questions she says,
  • "Then go ahead and get it.":D

· Ruger Tinkerer
11,901 Posts
I probably have the least need of anybody to own a 454 Alaskan...but you know....when one came along I just couldn't resist and when the second one came along....I was weak again! I have absolutely no need for the 454 except that they are just plain FUN to shoot! Just so you don't forget what they look like....here's mine.

Several years ago I picked up the 44 Alaskan.....get it and enjoy it. Puts a smile on my face each pull of the trigger!
OK - now we know why there's always a shortage of 454 Alaskans - 41RED has them all. :D

· Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Nope..... if you're old enough to own a handgun, you're old enough to make up your own mind..... :D
You're going to get it..... right ?

· Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I like your way of thinking. Nice, clear path to decision making.

When I am dithering about a purchase, my supportive wife always asks,
  • "Will you enjoy it?"
  • "Will you use it?"
If the answer is "Yes" to both questions she says,
  • "Then go ahead and get it.":D
Sounds like she's a keeper! :D

· Administrator
23,782 Posts
1. Stoked with 45 colt that is a heck of a nightstand gun.

2. It gives you a good reason to take a trip to Alaska fishing or hunting.

3. It will test and help improve your skills if you shoot at 50/100 yards.

4. Just because you can.

· Registered
134 Posts
DLB, we use them too.

I'm a lucky man who has a fantastic wife who supports my gun habit (not hobby) :). My wife and I use the same ones you use DLB, with two more.

"Can we afford it?"
"Will you enjoy it?"
"Will you use it?"
"Then Get it!"

· Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,620 Posts
Go for it. I only need one gun, the rest are just because I want them. I went for an extended .454 Casull, the S&W 460XVR.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.