Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently reload 12 different handgun calibers from large to small, from pop to boom.
I've been itching to try something new.
Lately, I have been intrigued by the 10mm auto.

Looking at reloading data it would appear that the 10mm falls somewhere in between 357 magnum and 44 magnum in velocity and energy.

Available handguns run the gamut too. Everything from fantastic plastic to 1911s to a few revolvers.
I am a revolver junkie at heart. The Cimarron Bad Boy is interesting.
I don't think that I want to deal with moon clips. It looks as though the S&W 610 and GP100 can be shot without them but ejecting empties might be cumbersome.

So what is your opinion on 10mm, either in revolver or semi-auto?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I’ve picked up a couple 10’s in the last few months but they are both on 1911 frames. If you handload I don’t see any advantages over the .357 in a revolver. My opinion is it’s a cartridge best left for semi autos. That being said it’s a good cartridge, I’ve got 1K rounds of brass being delivered today. I guess it really depends on what you want to use it for. Probably good enough for Bear defense, especially in semi auto form. If you are just looking for something to try out I’d say go for it. Reloading components seem to be readily available.
Light Air gun Blue Trigger Revolver
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

·
Registered
334 Posts
Since you are a reloader, and have money to burn, by all means get a 10mm. You can dial it to any bullet and velocity you would like. The semi-auto would be my choice - you hit the nail on the head with regards to ejecting empties from the revolver. Not to mention the semi-auto makes for quicker reloading. I personally am not impressed by the 10mm, preferring the .45ACP for self-defense, and would much prefer the .44 Magnum for forays into Grizzly and Brown bear country when a rifle couldn't be carried.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I'm no 10mm hater but it has no place in my collection. What can 10mm do that 357 magnum or 44 Special/Magnum can't do?

I only reload for revolvers right now. 10mm revolvers just don't sit with me. Get rid of all the benefits of semi autos capacity and quick reloads and you've must got a revolver that shoots ammo that's almost as good- 357 or nowhere near as powerful 44 Magnum.

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,459 Posts
I am going to side with the other guys on the 10mm being best in a semi auto platform. In a revolver I will take the .41 or .44 magnum for the power. The 10mm is a great defensive cartridge in pistols. I would love a 5" 1911 so chambered. My buddy carries a compact Glock 10mm that is very accurate and controllable. I am surprised by the effectiveness of the combination every time I shoot it. Of course the typical factory loads today are not loaded nearly as hot as when the cartridge was introduced.

·
Super Moderator
6,402 Posts
Get it, I have 2 and love the cartridge. It isn’t quite up to a hot .357 mag load. Ruger made the Blackhawk in 10mm as well, usually in a convertible. Might be worth looking at. But in an auto, it really brings a next-level of performance to a standard-sized handgun platform.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Psssst , I am gonna whisper a word ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Carbine.
That is what it took to get me to jump the creek into 10mm land.
Wasn't even looking but found an uber cheap (don't hate me for it) Hi-Point 10MM.
It was missing a few nickel and dime parts, but they were replaced free by Hi-Point customer service. Great customer service by the way.
Found a box of 180 gr. FMJs and still had dies from my 40cal. days.
Stupid , ugly thing will do cloverleafs at 25 yards and bang tennis balls at 50 yards. Zero,,,, yes zero malfunctions , even with reloads. It just gobbles up ammo.
There are some much nicer 10mm carbines out there including some very nice ARish looking guns . But for a bang around fun gun I don't know if I could justify spending 3 or 4 times more money for one.
Dang it , now I'm looking at pistols!

EAA Girsan MC1911 S Hunter 10mm Auto (ACP) 6in Black Pistol - 8+1 Rounds | Sportsman's Warehouse (sportsmans.com)
Looks like Eric1023e is already rockin one.

Biggest downside to 10mm semi-autos is looking for fired brass. When you lose even one you will cry .
And I have lost some.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I remember Sonny Crockett had a Bren Ten, but only the first 2 of 5 seasons. It was actually chambered for .45 ACP because they couldn't get 10 mm blanks. I liked Nash Bridges better....
Air gun Gesture Gun barrel Shotgun Trigger

Reactions: jayhdavis

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That is the big downside to all semi-autos. It's a curse us reloaders have to live with.:(
Tis tru except.
45ACP , got a bucket full, 9mm boxes full ,40 just don't care anymore. Free pick up at the range most of the time.
But 10mm, there is just not enough to go around , even buying it new is sketchy.
Each piece is special to me.:)

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,562 Posts
The 10mm is best in a semi-auto. It overlaps the 357 magnum in ballistics. Both top out around 800 foot-pounds of muzzle energy from a six-inch test barrel.

My 10mm, two Colt Delta Elite, Ruger Super Redhawk, six-inch and five-inch Springfield Armory TRP Operator.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Reactions: jayhdavis

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't see what's wrong with having 357, 41 Mag and 44 mag in revolvers. I have all those. I also load can cast bullets for them all. Got 40 and 10mm in auto. People make it's like an end of the world decision on which caliber to get. I suggest getting all of them. Each one of these rounds has its own story and benefits.

The traditional caliber line of thinking will have 0f us with an O/U Derringer in 460 Weatherby Magnum. After some meditation one may come to the place where it's not what you shoot. It's where you shoot,

·
Registered
147 Posts
While I have never liked revolvers that much, if the OP does I say get one in 10mm and the die set to reload for it. With his description of what he has, I would guess he collects in various calibers, and it would be something different and new to add to the collection.

Besides, even if he doesn't like the gun, he'll have everything he needs to reload 10mm or 40 S&W and the perfect excuse to get a semi-auto example for his collection, something I just did for 40 S&W. I had the dies for everything I was shooting, so when ordering a new press I ordered the one with the 10mm/40 dies that I didn't have, and then "had to" picked up a 40 so they wouldn't go to waste just sitting around :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a pair of 10mm Blackhawks. I have heard all the arguments against using “auto” cartridges in revolvers. And to be honest, all that reasoning doesn’t do much for me. I also own semi-autos chambered in “revolver” cartridges.

I bought these because they are fun to shoot, and no other reason. And they excel at that. That’s all I need.

I can also load to an extra long OAL, and get performance approaching the 10mm Mag, but without having to ream the chambers. But then I decided I have other revolvers chambered in larger calibers if I need more than “standard” full power 10mm.

If the OP wants the Cimarron Bad Boy in 10mm, then go for it. That looks like fun, too. And no chasing brass all over the ground, as a bonus.

·
Registered
50 Posts
"During testing of the caliber in 1988, it was decided that the full-power commercial load of the 10mm Auto was the best available semi-automatic pistol cartridge for law enforcement usage, but it produced excessive recoil for most agents. Thereafter, experiments were carried out, and a specification for reduced-recoil ammunition was created. This became known as the "10mm Lite", or "10mm FBI" load, remaining common from various manufacturers today. With some pistol reliability problems increasing in this lighter load, Smith & Wesson observed that a version of the 10mm case reduced to 22 millimeters in length from the original 25 mm could be made with the retained performance parameters of the "10mm Lite". This altered cartridge was named the .40 Smith & Wesson." - Wikipedia

Any quality .40 S&W can probably handle +P and might say so in it's manual getting you equal to a "mild" 10mm. If you are reloading, 10mm uses large pistol primers which are darn expensive and not plentiful at this time. Small pistol in the .40 are more readily available at a lower cost.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I once had a Kimber 1911 in 10mm. What is cool about 10mm 1911s is that you can fit a 40S&W barrel and shoot cheap and easy to find 40S&W, or go blasting with the 10.
Somewhere around here I still have a Few hundred 10mm rds, but the gun is gone. I'm too Old to start over with another 10mm now.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts