Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 10mm. It's issue is that it's like the 41 magnum. It just never found it's place and there are other rounds that can do what it can. It can be loaded hot for a trail gun and it can be loaded down. And don't knock moon clips, they're the fastest way to reload a revolver.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for all of the replies and hints.

This would just be a range toy as I don't hunt anymore and wouldn't want to carry any gun heavy enough to mitigate the recoil of a 10mm.

I do like messing around with a round to try to find that magic combo where accuracy and shoot-ability meet, consistent with no leading.
I do play around with cartridges that many folks don't, such as 327 Federal, 38 Super, and 41 magnum.

I will probably still go for a revolver just because I prefer them. I find that I shoot nearly any revolver better than nearly any semi-auto. I won't have to chase brass which is a big deal at my range as the ground is covered with chunky stone and brass seems to disappear into the stone. A revolver, especially single action, slows down the rate of fire so you don't burn up ammo and components so quickly.

Stay tuned.

Reactions: MB45

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
My 'opinion' of 10mm ... First I have the power angle covered. Second, I am a revolver guy, and I don't shoot semi-auto except in .22 occasionally. Third, semi-auto cartridges belong in semi-auto firearms as far as I am concerned. Fourth, loading a 'new' cartridge is the same experience as reloading what I have. Mechanics are the same. Finding a load is the same, Shooting 'em is the same... So while the 10mm is probably a good cartridge, there is no need for it 'here' :) . I currently reload the following revolver cartridges: .32 H&R Magnum, .357, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt. I've found good loads for these cartridges, all basis covered, so I'm good :) . The only reason I load .32 H&R Magnum is it is really the closest 'reloadable' cartridge to the .22. Launch little 78gr RN pills at .22LR velocities makes for pleasant shooting that even my wife can enjoy. Anyway, I digress, That's my 'opinion' on the 10mm :) . That said, IF was going to look for a new cartridge to reload, it would be more the lines of the .44-40 or the .45 AR/.45 Cowboy. But then I'd have to buy a revolver or have a cylinder made to shoot 'em and dies.... And then my brain reminds me of what I related above... :)

Reactions: bgavin

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with my 2years experience with 10mm.

I love the perceived power I get from full power loads. I can shoot my Glock 20 much better than my buddies 686. I don’t kid myself into saying it’s any better than it really is. I look at it as a semi auto version of the 357. I mostly use it as a woods gun in a chest holster but I can carry it aiwb in town too.

I hate chasing and losing brass. So much so that I wish I wish I was better with double actions and shot my 44mag better so I could justify to myself a 4” redhawk or 629 mountain gun

All in all it’s just a lightweight self defense tool I can be effective with in the woods. Hard to beat for power vs weight and control ability.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
My choice would be a Ruger Blackhawk New Model Convertible
in 10mm and 38-40 .
No pesky moon clips required ... it's two guns in one ...
What are you waiting for ... Christmas !
Gary

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My choice would be a Ruger Blackhawk New Model Convertible
in 10mm and 38-40 .
No pesky moon clips required ... it's two guns in one ...
What are you waiting for ... Christmas !
Gary

Why wait for Christmas , that convertible has been out there for years.
It's called a Buckeye. :)
Me , I got an old 401 Powermag that covers that ground .
But I seldom shoot it. It's just never the right tool.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with my 2years experience with 10mm.

I love the perceived power I get from full power loads. I can shoot my Glock 20 much better than my buddies 686. I don’t kid myself into saying it’s any better than it really is. I look at it as a semi auto version of the 357. I mostly use it as a woods gun in a chest holster but I can carry it aiwb in town too.

I hate chasing and losing brass. So much so that I wish I wish I was better with double actions and shot my 44mag better so I could justify to myself a 4” redhawk or 629 mountain gun

All in all it’s just a lightweight self defense tool I can be effective with in the woods. Hard to beat for power vs weight and control ability.
Go buy some PVC pipe and a shower curtain. Build a frame using the PVC and clip the shower curtain to it.
All your brass will be in a straight line at the base of the shower curtain.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I fired an original D&D Bren Ten in the mid 1980s and was impressed with the pistol but the Norma 180gr ammo seemed hot to my hand. My impression was that it had a bit of snap and recoil. A few years back I encountered a large brown colored bear while hiking in Glacier National Park and immediately thought that the SIG-Sauer P220 that I was carrying on me, was not enough gun to take an animal of this enormity. Thankfully, the bear allowed me to backtrack as I did not enter the huckleberry patch that it was working on. I decided then to get a 10mm Auto. I do have .44 Magnum revolvers to choose from in my collection, but they are dang heavy, slow for me to get into action and the recoil pulse is getting objectionable to my arthritic hands. I started looking at 10mm Autos. I happen to have had about $800 in points on one of my cards that I expended on a new Glock Model 40 MOS. I set this pistol up with a Holosun green dot sight, a Streamlight TLR1 white light and went to the range. I had with me 600 rounds of fresh S&B 180gr flat point and hollow point ammo. S&B claims this ammo is moving at 1100 fps but I question that. I have read for years that polymer framed pistols flex horizontally as the slide impacts the frame at the rear of its movement, thus soaking up recoil that would otherwise push rearward into that hand. I do believe that this does occur with the Glock frame in this caliber, but I would like to see actual proof of this. Perhaps the longer barrel and slide with the additional mass that these provide is contributing as well but the results are conclusive. I was actually quite surprised how soft shooting the Glock 40 is. In informal shooting I was able to unload the 15-round magazine into paper plates at about 25 yards in about 10 seconds. My groups were about the size of a fast-food hamburger. Additionally, I fired 40 rounds of HSM 200gr "Bear Load" and found this had more blast, a bit more recoil but nothing like a .44 Magnum. I did find that the LA Police Gear shooting gloves that I was wearing got literally torn up by this shooting session with the molded in handle features of the generation 4 Glock leaving permanent impressions in the leather and ripping the seams. I suspect strongly this is caused by cheap gloves and the frame flexing horizontally while the recoil pulse was at its zenith. Two last points, I am keen to see S&W produce their M&P in 10mm Auto, but I will be a buyer when they sell the ported CORE Proshop version. If that ever comes to market, I will have one without question as I think this round will greatly benefit from a ported barrel/slide and I prefer the S&W M&P grip feel to the Glock. I went with the Glock partially because I am pairing weapons that take the same magazine (Ruger PC/Glock19). It is my intention to keep my eye open for a small carbine in 10mm Auto that also takes the Glock magazine. As I get older and less able, I am moving away from blasters like 12-gauge shotguns for defense and am willing to adopt newer technology to keep me functional as an armed free citizen.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I am probably not one to talk you into or out of a 10mm. I passed on them in the early days because of the perception that they were hard on 1911s. Then along came the 40s and I shot both my Glock 22 and H&K USP quite a bit but never felt that I needed a true '10' back in the 90's. These days I still keep thinking that I want to 'scratch that itch' and regret not getting a Sig P-220 SAO while they were a thing. I have enough '40' components (except brass) that loading for it would not be too hard but the reality is that few of my autos get much range time as I struggle to pick up brass now (yes, I do need a brass catcher). I am apparently 'traditional' enough that I perceive rimmed cartridges belong in revolvers and rimless ones in autos so the .41s cover my revolver needs in that caliber range.
So ... I still want one but may not get one.

Bruce

·
Registered
95 Posts
Get one, you definitely won't regret buying a Cimarron BadBoy, I know I didn't. I finally got one last month after having missed the boat a few years ago when they sold out about the time the scamdemic started. I haven't done much in the way of reload ladder testing with the BadBoy since it is extremely accurate with the best loads I previously worked up for my SR1911. I plan on getting serious with target loads as soon as I get a rail and scope for it but until then I'm having fun out to 20 yards. That's about as good as I can do with iron sights with these old eyes.

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Trigger Air gun
Font Circle Art Automotive wheel system Carmine

·
Registered
64 Posts
I picked up this Kimber a couple yrs ago because i wanted something in 10mm. Regular 10mm range ammo feels no different than 45acp. The full power stuff like Buffalo Bore, etc, really brings it to life..:oops:. But that stuff is expensive. So it just sits in the safe. If you reload..then you might find it to be more interesting.

·
Registered
Ruger Blackhawk 45 colt
41 Posts
You can load a 40sw in say a Glock 35, with a 6.2in KKM barrel, and get 200g WFN @1200 fps at 45-47k psi. have good bear protection, the 10mm will throw the same bullet from a 7in kkm at 1350 fps, but it's only 150 fps.

I load in my G21 45 acp/SUPER. [email protected] fps (have gone 1150 fps) a 300g Montana's at 1235 fps, 275'[email protected] fps, 250's 1350/1400 fps (all over 1000 ft lbs)
These are 47-50k psi loads, and only loaded in a aftermarket throated 6.2inch KKM barrel.

My main loads are [email protected] fps (800 ft lbs) (40k psi).
Factory 45 Super loads are around 650 ft lbs from Underwood

Point is, if you reload, you can get the 40 and 45 close to or surpass 10mm, And brass is easy to findm esp 40sw brass.

·
Registered
362 Posts
10mm is a polarizing cartridge, and I dont know why. Ive never seen a cartridge elicit such powerful emotions, on both sides. The people who like it love it and the people who say that there are other rounds that will do the same or more absolutely hate it.

Well, the 10mm is like any other cartridge in that there are things its good for and things it may not be good for. So whats the hate all about?

Personally I am a 10mm fan from way back. I like that I can download it for very light 135gr JHP's and shoot all day or I can load it up with a 220gr hard cast 22+bhn truncated cone or other and hunt bear with it if I wanted, or at least have a better than average chance of stopping a bear from hunting me.

The 10mm is a fine cartridge. Better than everything else? No, of course not.

Mine at least, a Dan Wesson Silverback, is as reliable as the day is long. Either the gun, the loads I load or both are very accurate. Ive never had a single issue past the 300 round mark and those few were only the frame and slide mateing up. Since then no issues.

If you enjoy shooting a bigbore handgun the 10mm can and will satisfy. Its got some horsepower as Jerry would say.

It seems to me the limiting factor is the lack of firearm selection, but that has changed a little lately along with the most recent 10mm popularity surge. I say most recent because the 10mm has always been like that.

Ammo selection, availability and price is another big one. Youll never fully appreciate or enjoy the 10mm unless you reload, its a reloaders cartridge for sure. But, if you do reload I suspect that it will soon become one of the most favored handguns you own.

Get one, you wont regret it. Ill never part with mine.

·
Registered
Ruger Blackhawk 45 colt
41 Posts
10mm is a polarizing cartridge, and I dont know why. Ive never seen a cartridge elicit such powerful emotions, on both sides. The people who like it love it and the people who say that there are other rounds that will do the same or more absolutely hate it.

Well, the 10mm is like any other cartridge in that there are things its good for and things it may not be good for. So whats the hate all about?

Personally I am a 10mm fan from way back. I like that I can download it for very light 135gr JHP's and shoot all day or I can load it up with a 220gr hard cast 22+bhn truncated cone or other and hunt bear with it if I wanted, or at least have a better than average chance of stopping a bear from hunting me.

The 10mm is a fine cartridge. Better than everything else? No, of course not.

Mine at least, a Dan Wesson Silverback, is as reliable as the day is long. Either the gun, the loads I load or both are very accurate. Ive never had a single issue past the 300 round mark and those few were only the frame and slide mateing up. Since then no issues.

If you enjoy shooting a bigbore handgun the 10mm can and will satisfy. Its got some horsepower as Jerry would say.

It seems to me the limiting factor is the lack of firearm selection, but that has changed a little lately along with the most recent 10mm popularity surge. I say most recent because the 10mm has always been like that.

Ammo selection, availability and price is another big one. Youll never fully appreciate or enjoy the 10mm unless you reload, its a reloaders cartridge for sure. But, if you do reload I suspect that it will soon become one of the most favored handguns you own.

Get one, you wont regret it. Ill never part with mine.

I don't love or hate it, I do think it could be the best option for the power if gives vs recoil, semi autos soak up recoil better than others. 40 caliber is not 45, but 45 is not 50 either, the higher you goup, the harder it is to shoot without flinching. 700 ft lb Glock 40 in 10mm is an easy platform to shoot. much easier and less recoil than the 45 SUPER WITH a brake/comp. [email protected] fps isn't bad, but the 45 with a [email protected] fps has a kick, even loaded to 800 fps, they kick.

I said you can load a G35 with a 6.2in kkm [email protected] fps, but you'll need to have a smith throat the chamber some, same with the 45 barrel to shoot SUPERS.

The 10mm is hard to talk anyone out of, most anything more powerful has MUCH more recoil. For bears or large boars, I think the 10mm is fine, Bigger might be better, but if a 1000 lb griz is running at you, nothing is perfect..
You also might get 3-4 shots off with the 10 vs 2 with a 44, 454, 460, 480 or 500 mag. it has the capacity too.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I currently reload 12 different handgun calibers from large to small, from pop to boom.
I've been itching to try something new.
Lately, I have been intrigued by the 10mm auto.

Looking at reloading data it would appear that the 10mm falls somewhere in between 357 magnum and 44 magnum in velocity and energy.

Available handguns run the gamut too. Everything from fantastic plastic to 1911s to a few revolvers.
I am a revolver junkie at heart. The Cimarron Bad Boy is interesting.
I don't think that I want to deal with moon clips. It looks as though the S&W 610 and GP100 can be shot without them but ejecting empties might be cumbersome.

So what is your opinion on 10mm, either in revolver or semi-auto?
I would suggest a Desert Eagle in .50 cal.
Accurate, reliable, and indefensible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't...wait...I won't try to talk you out of it but simply say I enjoy shooting my SR1911 in 10mm. I've shot the 1911 platform since I started shooting and it simply works for me. The SR1911 goes with me hunting tucked away in a Hill People Gear Recon Kit Bag. It's there for 2- & 4-legged predators...thankfully I haven't had to use it for either.

Let us know what you get? 🙃

·
Registered
118 Posts
So what is your opinion on 10mm, either in revolver or semi-auto?
Own a few of them, all semi-auto. Glocks and 1911s. I had the chance to buy a 10mm S&W revolver, passed on it and regret it to this day.

The 10mm is used by the Danish Sirius Force to manage close encounters with Polar Bear. They probably do a mag dump with them. The Sirius force uses the Enfield in 30-06 for their main firearm.

The 10mm is a nice round. In the 1980s Norma ran them close to the top in terms of peak pressure. I'm not sure how they work with more modern propellants.

Jeff Cooper stated that he preferred the round for an automatic firearm. The US FBI had some Thompson Submachines made in 10mm.

I rented an HK MP5/10 at a range. The firearm was quite controllable and pleasant to shoot in full auto. I am a housebroken burst firer so my three and four shot bursts were easily controlled.

I do not use the 10mm for concealed carry. I prefer "grandpa guns" and spend the savings in ammunition and reloading on more practice. My EDC these days is a 38 snubbie. Very happy with it.

The downside of 10mm is the cost.... they must be made stouter than is the norm. If you are willing to pay the freight they are a nice firearm.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts