Ruger Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ventured in the 10mm / 40 caliber world when the city fathers "suggested" the police force change to "automatics". The Delta Elite had just been released by Colt and not having a 1911 type pistol I took advantage of the opportunity to buy the 10mm and check off the 1911 box.

Fast forward a few weeks. I had been using a Model 66 for IPSC matches. But showed up with my new 10mm. Match director was grumpy because a Federal Facility guard team had entered the match. The weekend warriors were concerned about the guards' resources of 9mm ammo and guns might give them an edge. The match director laid out the prepared contest bays. Appointed the bay directors and got the match started. It was a small club and everyone helped set up the steel and reactive targets. Then we drew for waves of shooters to rotate through the bays. Living in a small town I knew some of the guards.

Funny, every stage had a hostage not to be shot or a sniper in a barricade balloon.

The local club members loaded up their 357's with 158 or heavier bullets or broke out their 45 acp pistol.

When the brass throwing was over, the 9mm's were unable to drop the metal plates or hit the special target without several tries of spray and pray. The ten mm took the heavy steel down and I got lucky on the final balloon. The only shooter ahead of me was a tricked out 45 1911. It is not polite to outshoot the county sheriff.

Fed team was surprised to learn that bullet mass and accuracy are important. They did return several times, and some set up revolvers or heavy semi-automatics for the fun of the game.

If you feel the 10 mm is too much, consider the 40 S&W. I checked of the Browing High Power box when I collected a police surplus 40 S&W. A good gunsmith reworked it and it is a pleasure to shoot.

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bought the dies, new brass and have primers/powder. Now I need a gun. Problem I see with reloading brass is if it came from a gun with an unsupported chamber. Probably stick to new brass. All stocked up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's one of a handful of calibers I would not choose to own unless I reloaded - which I have for many years.
As a round for handloading, the 10 really shines.
From ~1989-2000, my duty weapon was a S&W M1076 10mm. I accumulated A LOT of brass, and no small amount of ammo. During that time, also being a M1911-holic, I picked up A Colt Delta Elite SS 10mm. Had a little work done on it, sent the slide to Novak for adjustable 'carry sights' .Great pistol. Sees a lot of woods time.

Have never owned a .40, nor wanted to. Duty ammo for the time I carried the M1076 was the '10 LITE', which essentially is a watered down 10mm, doing what a .40 does. Although, in it's defense, it did a fine job in a number of OIS's.

I really like the 10, but like I said, IMO - it's a handloader's round.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a couple of 357 mags and a couple of 44 mags so I really don't need a 10 mm but if I were to get one it would definately be a 1911, probably a Springfield because I'm really happy with the 45 I have from them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't love or hate it, I do think it could be the best option for the power if gives vs recoil, semi autos soak up recoil better than others. 40 caliber is not 45, but 45 is not 50 either, the higher you goup, the harder it is to shoot without flinching. 700 ft lb Glock 40 in 10mm is an easy platform to shoot. much easier and less recoil than the 45 SUPER WITH a brake/comp. [email protected] fps isn't bad, but the 45 with a [email protected] fps has a kick, even loaded to 800 fps, they kick.

I said you can load a G35 with a 6.2in kkm [email protected] fps, but you'll need to have a smith throat the chamber some, same with the 45 barrel to shoot SUPERS.

The 10mm is hard to talk anyone out of, most anything more powerful has MUCH more recoil. For bears or large boars, I think the 10mm is fine, Bigger might be better, but if a 1000 lb griz is running at you, nothing is perfect..
You also might get 3-4 shots off with the 10 vs 2 with a 44, 454, 460, 480 or 500 mag. it has the capacity too.
My post wasnt directed towards any one persin3. Hope you did t think I was trying to rebut your post, I was not. We all are allowed to have their opinions, their likes and dislikes. Sorry if you thought I was. 👍

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I'd like to get a 10mm barrel for my G21. I have revolvers in .357 mag, .45 Colt and .44 mag so I don't need a 10mm but since when does need ever matter? As far semi autos go, the 10mm is the big dog on the block without resorting to giant guns and expensive niche models. I say "GO FOR IT!!" 😁

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just recently picked up a G40 MOS and a 29 for CC. I've been a dyed in wool 45 guy since I was about 17 (I'm 70 now) but I should have grabbed up a 10mm years ago! The G40 is a very pleasant shooting pistol, even with hot loads and the 29 is snappy enough to command attention! If I had switched to 10mm when Uncle Jeff said to, I wouldn't be up to my butt in .45 ACP brass! I just ordered 2k of Starline 10mm brass and if Speer ever gets off their butts and starts making 165 Gold Dots, I'll be in fat city! I have enough of the Lehigh Defense 115 Xtreme Defense bullets to keep me going for a while but I like having backup!
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Registered
Ruger Blackhawk 45 colt
41 Posts
My post wasnt directed towards any one persin3. Hope you did t think I was trying to rebut your post, I was not. We all are allowed to have their opinions, their likes and dislikes. Sorry if you thought I was. 👍
All good Bill, never thought anything directed at me. , I'm just going with the flow, 10mm is hard to not like for sure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I currently reload 12 different handgun calibers from large to small, from pop to boom.
I've been itching to try something new.
Lately, I have been intrigued by the 10mm auto.

Looking at reloading data it would appear that the 10mm falls somewhere in between 357 magnum and 44 magnum in velocity and energy.

Available handguns run the gamut too. Everything from fantastic plastic to 1911s to a few revolvers.
I am a revolver junkie at heart. The Cimarron Bad Boy is interesting.
I don't think that I want to deal with moon clips. It looks as though the S&W 610 and GP100 can be shot without them but ejecting empties might be cumbersome.

So what is your opinion on 10mm, either in revolver or semi-auto?
You will definitely need to load your own if you want to get between 357 and 44 magnum in velocity and energy - manufactured ammo in 10mm is extremely weak. In fact, if you look up the specifications of most of the name brand 10mm you will find that it is not even as powerful as full-power 40 S&W loadings (not that full power 40 cal loads are readily available from major manufacturers). I didn't realize all of this until I bought a S&W 610 and a few brands of 10mm to try out - I was underwhelmed:(. Unless you load your own, 10mm just doesn't get you much.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’ve picked up a couple 10’s in the last few months but they are both on 1911 frames. If you handload I don’t see any advantages over the .357 in a revolver. My opinion is it’s a cartridge best left for semi autos. That being said it’s a good cartridge, I’ve got 1K rounds of brass being delivered today. I guess it really depends on what you want to use it for. Probably good enough for Bear defense, especially in semi auto form. If you are just looking for something to try out I’d say go for it. Reloading components seem to be readily available. View attachment 176197 View attachment 176198
If you are going to use 10 mm for bear protection be sure to load your own or find a manufacturer that loads a real 10mm load - most commercial loads are no more powerful than a full power 40 cal load. If you are going to use typical commercial loads for bear defense, be sure to use an auto without a rail mount underneath and it may be helpful to file the front sight down smooth so that it wont hurt as much when the bear takes your empty gun from you and shoves it up your butt.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I might as well update this thread.

I went with a Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 in 10mm.
I didn't want to put a ton of money into a range toy so my list of possible guns was short. My local FFL searched all of his suppliers and couldn't find anything on my short list, all OOS.
He did have the M&P in stock and offered it to me at a real good price. So, I told him to give me 24 hours.

Prior to this purchase I did not own a polymer frame striker fired gun. I researched the M&P and it seems well received by pundits and real owners.
It also has a mounting plate for most red dot sights which I sorta need anymore for load development as my eyesight isn't stellar at 67.
So, I bought it.

I took it to the range yesterday and put just 25 rounds through it.
Accurate enough shooting freehand at 30 feet. Recoil is very controllable, on par with my 45 ACP.

I'll do a better assessment after I put a few hundred rounds through it.
I'll place orders for dies, brass, and bullets today.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
ALL I need to load??????? That's just silly talk.
Must concur :) .... and I don't ever plan to load/shoot 10mm as I never will own a semi-auto to shoot it in. That said, I think 'I' have all I'll need to load ... from .32 to .45 Colt :) . Ha!

danlbobb, enjoy your 10mm ... All good!

Reactions: sparkyv
41 - 57 of 57 Posts