Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy served as a combat soldier from the invasion of Italy all the way up through the fall of Germany. He was right in the middle of it. I didn't get to talk to him much, but what time I did was pretty cool. These guys are dying out.
He's at my mom's assisted care center. I can't wait to talk to him again. This guy is a true American Hero.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Not too many of them left. My neighbor, Harry, served under Patton in Europe ... he had some incredible stories ... he passed away a few years ago. I talked to my Uncle Joe by phone last night ... he served in the Navy ... Pacific Theater ... also taught me to shoot a .22 when I was a kid.

If you know a WWII Vet ... pay him a visit ... could be your last opportunity ... don't let it be a lost one.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Enjoy it every chance you get, like you said, we're losing them every day. I'm a barber and get a chance to hear WWII stories from time to time, I just try to soak it up when one of them good ole boys start talking about their experiences.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I very briefly met a WW2 vet that was stationed in Africa under Rommel, yes he was a German soldier. I had just gotten interested in restoring old aircooled VWs and he would tell me about the aircooled 25hp Kubelwagons, the German jeep.
I only got to talk to him while I was at work and lost contact with him.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My father, two of his brothers, and three of my mother's brothers were all WW II vets. One of my maternal Uncles was with the US Army in China in 38, that had to get out ahead of the Japanese. They all saw action and they all came home. And between than all, they were all over the world. I heard a lot of those stories growing up. They are all gone now.

But one of my paternal uncle's widow, married a wonderful old gentleman late in life, and he was a B17 pilot who was shot down over Germany and spent about 18 months as a POW. Last year, we were up visiting them, and my 28 year old on was with us. My son sat down for hours and listened to Harold tell of his war experiences.

When I was young, we would visit a cousin of my fathers who had been a WW I vet. He would tell stories of his time in the trenches in France. He had bad eyes from being hut with mustard gas.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
One of our regular customers at the motorcycle dealer I work at served in WWII and Vietnam. He is 92 years old and still rides his motorcycle weekly. I feel it is an honor just to stand next to him.

Here is a link about him that some may find interesting.
http://www.pkivfa.org/WWII Book.pdf

·
Registered
313 Posts
It's very sad that we are losing the last of that magnificent generation. Just last year, we lost one of our Credit Union members who had landed at Normandy. We had a few conversations over the years but I never pushed it as he would tear up speaking about aspects of what he went through. None the less, I consider myself so fortunate to have heard his stories and to have him share some of it with me.

I wasn't around as I'm only 41, and I don't know of any immediate relatives or family friends who fought in it, but for some reason I have always had this attraction to the history and events of World War II.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I worked for the telephone company for almost 30 years meeting people every day. I never tired of listening to my elders. Gained a lot of wisdom and insite. Never pass up a chance to listen. Now that I'm getting up in years myself, they're getting harder to find. Few younger people take this opportunity anymore. Us old farts enjoy relating stories to anyone that's interested.

·
Registered
130 Posts
OP make sure you see and talk to him while you can. My fiance worked at an assisted care home, she gets to know some of these people right. But the heart breaker is one day she came back and a person passed away.. He sounds like a really good guy and I hope he is comfortable atm.

My great Uncle was in WWII (not blood relation only by marriage to my now deceased aunt.) He was going to be in an airborne but was removed last minute and placed with the infantry due to his age. (Most of that airborne group was wiped out I heard...) He fought in and survived the battle of Normandy which shocks me until this day. If he wasn't moved from air born would he have died? Any movie, video game or re-enactment is only a fraction of how bad it really was in reality. It's pretty wild what that generation went through in their time.

It sucks WWII veterans are getting older and passing now.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going back over there today. He told me he had written down all his exploits and had them in his room. He was going to give a copy of that to my mother for me to keep. But I want to talk to him face to face about WWII.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I had 2 uncles that served in WWII as well as my mom's cousin. The cousin was a fighter pilot in the pacific who was shot down and not recovered. One of my uncles was a gunner in a B24 in England. He would never talk about the war. The other uncle was my dad's half brother. He always lived in Texas and I only met him a couple of times.

That was a special generation. A good friend of mine's dad served in the Pacific on a flying boat as navigator. He's in his 90's but still alive.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I met one yesterday, too. He was a B-17 pilot in Europe. he told me a story of having to ditch in the English Channel one time, and not a member of his crew even got their feet wet. treasure these guys, they won't be with us long.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I had the opportunity to talk to a WW2 vet about 10 years ago who was a member of the Tuskegee Airmen. He had flown several missions over Holland and I had to give him special thanks for his service as my Mom had lived in Holland for 5 years under Nazi occupation. He was nice enough to sign a book I had titled 'Black Knights' about the Tuskegee Airmen. That book has a special place in my library!

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
My father-in-law was a bombardier/navigator on B-26s over Europe. His plane was shot down, he bailed out and made his way back to the Allied lines with help from partisans. He stayed in the Air Force as a career officer and flew in B-29s in the Korean War and Cold War B-47 and B-52 missions.

I'm glad I heard some of the stories over breakfast at the Officers Open Mess at Mather AFB with him and some of his Air Force buddies from WWII.

He passed away last year at age 87 after a battle with Alzheimers, and sadly reached the point where all those memories were gone.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I had the opportunity to talk to a WW2 vet about 10 years ago who was a member of the Tuskegee Airmen. He had flown several missions over Holland and I had to give him special thanks for his service as my Mom had lived in Holland for 5 years under Nazi occupation. He was nice enough to sign a book I had titled 'Black Knights' about the Tuskegee Airmen. That book has a special place in my library!
Wow! I'll bet he had some stories to tell. I've always admired them. They had to fight the war on two fronts.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
I'm going back over there today. He told me he had written down all his exploits and had them in his room. He was going to give a copy of that to my mother for me to keep. But I want to talk to him face to face about WWII.
Ask his permission to record the conversation. That way you won't be busy taking notes and will be more relaxed. LISTEN!

·
Zombie Hunter
248 Posts
My Father-in-law was in the 99th Seperate, Norwegian ski-troopers. He saw action in Italy, the liberation of Norway and all through Germany. He has insignia and medels taken from German officers he captured in Norway. To sit there holding those medals and listening to him talk makes watching the history channel seem totaly lame. My Brother's Father-in-law was on the Squalus when it went down during sea trials. To sit and listen to these people is one of the greatest things a person can do.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
My Brother's Father-in-law was on the Squalus when it went down during sea trials. To sit and listen to these people is one of the greatest things a person can do.
Now that is interesting. The Squalus was re-floated, repaired, re-commissioned as the USS Sailfish, and fought in the Pacific during WWII. At one point during the war it went to Mare Island Naval Shipyard in Vallejo, California for re-fitting. My grandfather was a machinist at the shipyard and worked on the Squalus/Sailfish. He collected some hard tool steel and other materials from the submarine and machined a beautiful hunting knife of them. The blade and handle are all "Squalus/Sailfish relics". I now have that knife in my gun safe.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.