Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at our local shop, a couple weeks, ago, and the owner stuck this GP under my nose, hot off the truck. My resistance instantly turned to mush; another GP heads home.

This is what the Talo GP100 unfluted cylinder #1759 looks like, right out of the box, wood grips, non-fluted cylinder and all.

There's actually a method to my madness, however. While my husband and I stay with open sights for most of our revolvers, I do like to keep some revolvers set up with red dots and/or scopes. Just can't beat a red dot or a scope for some types of handgun shooting. Since we already have an older 6" GP setup with open sights, figured I'd keep it that way and scope the Talo.

Added a Weigand mount, yesterday, and topped it off with one of my favorite handgun scopes, a Leupold FX II straight 2x. If there's an easier to use 2x pistol scope, I have yet to use it.

Took a quick range trip, today, to sight in. Was also curious to see if this GP 100 with a 2x scope could keep up with my favorite S&W 686 with the same scope out at 50 yards.

Opened a box of cheap PMC 158 grain factory ammo to rough in the scope. Figured I'd save the better stuff for serious testing. Started at 25 yards, first 5 shots. Looks like we have a winner with this Talo GP.

Staying with the same factory ammo, moved out to 50 yards. Took some adjustments to get in the bull, then got there with the one shot on the left. Next five shots and called it a day. (Had an appointment to keep.)

So, how does this GP compare to a scoped 686? My previous best 50 yard 357 revolver group was with a 6" 686 wearing the same model of scope. That group measured just over an inch and that was with premium grade ammo.

Move over 686, here comes the Talo GP100. Will return another time with better ammo. To be continued. Go Ruger.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I know the feeling. You just can't beat a GP100.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
WOW! Sharp looking revolver and love that setup. Doubt if I could hit the target at 50 yds with open sights, much less put five inside an inch. Congrats.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Nice shooting. Tightest group I ever shot with a 357 in my life was with a GP100. Great design built for a classic cartridge.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Great revolver and nice shooting NCG!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Very tight group, nice shooting:)

I'm thinking I might put the set of Redhawk brass bead/V-notch sights on mine and see if they hit to POA, since I will be using mine as a dedicated target revolver. I shot very well with these sights on another 6" GP100.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wow! That Talo GP, with the scope mounted, looks like a mega-bucks, custom hunting rig! Very nice looking setup and impressive shooting.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, once again, folks.

ExArmy, don't see why those sights wouldn't work, so give them a try. One of the great features of the standard 4" and 6" GPs is the quick change front sight feature. I put a HiViz front on our other 6" GP, this week, for better visibility on dark days and we get a lot of them, up here.

IMO, S&W is really missing the boat by not incorporating this feature in their 686.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Nice shooting. Tightest group I ever shot with a 357 in my life was with a GP100. Great design built for a classic cartridge.
+1 Same here.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Scoped .357's are neat, I had a scoped S&W 28 6" that shot cloverleafs at 25 yards with .38's, I always intended to replace it with some kind of scoped Ruger Single Action, maybe a Hunter model or buy an older .357 Blackhawk already scoped.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I decided to go with the Letts tonight, and the Hogues are tucked away in the grey box.......the gun handles better with the Letts, and I bought it to use, not look at, so I changed them.

Also settled on a Redhawk red insert front sight and a "high blade" Ruger rear sight blade. One of my pet peeves is a target sight that has to be cranked so high it looks like it's hanging on by a screw thread, so I put in a High blade that I had. I plan to zero it for 180 gr. .357, hopefully it hits to POA, otherwise I'll use a lower GP100 red insert front sight. The Gold Bead/V-Notch combo didn't look right, that delicate little bead sight on this brute of a .357, seemed wrong:) I may get a Hi-Viz red fiber optic, to swap in and out with the red insert for certain applications.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts