Ruger Forum banner

Target Model vs Custom Build

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Angky 
#1 ·
I am looking for a Target model 10/22 and have a simple question as to whether I should buy a basic model 10/22 and do a custom build or just buy the standard target model from Ruger. If the custom build route is chosen, how difficult is it to do the modifications inhouse? What are the top three sites to get the custom parts from? Thanks for everyones comments and time.

#2 ·
All kinda depends on what you want. You can very easily assemble your own how you wish - very easy to do. It's no guarantee it'll perform better as it's all in what parts you choose and how it's all assembled. It's a joint effort of all the components.
TONs of choices to choose amongst. Take a look and see all that's available to get a good idea as to what look you want. Pick a budget then as well. Remember, the common brands aren't always the best choice as often you're paying for the name as much or more as the quality. Also, try and keep things on a level playing field. A great part doesn't compensate for a mediocre part elsewhere.

Check: Shooters Discount as a starting point.They have a well rounded variety.

Look around different site & threads to see what you like. Once you get there, ask questions again.

#3 ·
I asked myself the same question and coming to the same conclusion that BlkHawk73 mentioned, about the likelyhood of all the custom parts working well together, I went with the target model. It's a good rifle and perfect for the plinking I am using it for. I would even say a standard carbine with my good nikon scope would do just as fine at $200 less. I'm not a gun smith so I figured that making all the different custom parts play nice with each other was a crap shoot.

#4 ·
I wouldn't call it a "crap shoot". It's more than some will buy the best of everything and then be disappointed. Turns out they spent all the $$$$ yet then cheaped out on optics, ammo and bother with ensuring a good solid, consistent fit (bedding) Just changing the barrel and improving the trigger, even with just a hammer change, can do wonders. have a bunch that I've yet to bed and they're far above what any stock one I've shot has been capable of.

#5 ·
I have been able to locate only two 10/22 with a bull barrel. One is a standard target model for around 400 and the other one is a Magnum Research with a carbon fiber barrel for around 700. Not sure if I want to spend that much at this time for the Mag Research since I would like to make some changes myself. I do think that the 700 is a good budget number to start with. I do have a standard 10/22 to start the project with or I can get the one with a bull barrel and do a simple trigger change and a bedding job and than decide what is a good scope for the gun. Does everyone see the prices of these increasing next year? I was told that the supply is going to be slim since Ruger stopped production to do some retooling.

#6 ·
Have heard nothing about any production stoppage for re-tooling. Was the dealer with the gun you're looking at the with this "news"? ;)

What route you take kinda depends on what you want once it's all done. You can go with the factory T model, do some simple stuff to it and add optics and spend much less than building a good one. Will the results be better? Depends on what you use. Prices on everything o up a bit but I don't see these components going the way the circus is on magazines, etc now. Can't always look at these projects with a tight wallet though. If you want something, spend the $. If you want GOOD, you'll spend more $.

#7 ·
the dealer did not have but one 10/22 and it was not what I was looking for and he could not tell me when he was getting some more. I asked the question if he would order what I was looking for and that is when he came up with his story. Guess I need to get a few mags if they can still be found. Trying to decide if I need to make the road trip to get the one that I found, just hate to spend three hours on the road.

#9 ·
My perspective sorta matches what's already been said. But I'll add my own 2 cents.

I got the very basic model so that I could have the good 10/22 action. From that, I can build up in any direction I want to go as I chat with people and get ideas. That's a lot of the fun. Then seeing the improvements that result from my work adds to the fun.

If you buy the stock target model, you are getting a run-of-the-mill production gun. Paying more just gets "improved" features, but they are still basic production. If you build your own, you can specify what you want--hand lapped, special chamber, etc.

And do what BlkHawk always mentions--keep all the improvements at a same level. A store gun with a fancy barrel on a factory stock that doesn't fit you just wastes all that money.

Just my 2c worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.