Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What spotting scope would be suffice to be able to see .22 & 30.06 holes in paper from 50 and 100 yards away? Is there such a scope? It would make sighting in my guns much easier.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got a cheap 20-60x Tasco. It's bright and clear enough to do what you want but the eye relief is a bit short. I have to take my glasses off to get my eyeball close enough to see anything through it which is pretty annoying.

I plan on buying a better one in the $400 to $500 price range but the money keeps going elsewhere.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
For 50-100yrd bullet spotting, it's not hard to find a spotting scope to do the job. If you're only using it a time or two a year for sighting in rifles, again, not hard to find a spotter to do that job.

The cheap Simmons scope is junk. I paid $60 for one, thinking it was a "price too good to pass up". For short range spotting while zeroing a rifle, it'll do the job. For anything else, it's a headache in a tube. I keep it in my truck now in case I see game while driving around, but I won't use it for spotting at the range. It's difficult to make out deer at 480yrds against a backdrop of a hedge row.

A good set of binoculars would be a better investment for 50-100yrd sight in spotting than a $200 or less spotter.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Seems as though I back to square one.

Is it possible to get good enough quality for $100 or less?
You have to ask yourself that question and live within your means. I would like a $1000.00 but then I look at the bank account and reality sets in and I buy the Simmons. It's my money, so I spend it the way I want to.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have used a number of spotting scopes over the years. I currently have a Konus 20 X 60 80mm. It cost about $300. It is clear bright and the angled rear lense allows me to use it on a bench when I am shooting.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
I got a gift card from work and decided to use it to buy a basic spotting scope. I bought one from Sportsman Warehouse that had excellent reviews. It was a low end scope that cost about $175. It's an Alpen 15-45X60. I wouldn't call it junk but it's barely functional for sighting in a scope at 100 yards. It's clear enough but the eye relief is ridiculous. A quarter inch too close or too far away and it's unusable. The tripod is stable only in a calm wind. It works but it's a PITA. Thankfully it was a gift. The general rule of thumb regarding optics is you get what you pay for. In this particular case it's absolutely true. If I had a do-over I'd add some cash to the gift certificate and step it up a model or two. I'll definitely get a bigger objective lens next time. YMMV.

·
Registered
301 Posts
What ever U so, DON'T BUY A BSA. It does not have adequate eye relief. money thrown away. Too light for an anchor.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I've had several spotting scopes over the years, however the best one I've found is the Redfield, I don't see a model name on it, but I've had it for several years, and it is really clear out to 300 yards for .223 and 500 yards for .30 caliber and larger. It is 20X80X80. I believe I paid right around $300 or so for it, on sale at Midway. I've had the lesser quality, scopes but never got much clarity out of 'em beyond 100 yards.

·
Registered
649 Posts
If you have a decent scope on your rifle you won't need a spotting scope at the range you mentioned.
A good pair of binoculars will do you as well.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Spotting scopes are no different than the scope on your rifle..............Cheap glass is cheap glass, which just amounts to better or worse grades of junk, depending on price. Quality costs.

You will NOT have good optical quality and clarity in a $200 spotting scope. It is simply NOT possible.

The most valuable part of that Simmons is likely the case. You could use it for something after you throw that scope in the trash.........LOL!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've got a cheap 20-60x Tasco. It's bright and clear enough to do what you want but the eye relief is a bit short. I have to take my glasses off to get my eyeball close enough to see anything through it which is pretty annoying.

I plan on buying a better one in the $400 to $500 price range but the money keeps going elsewhere.

I went through about 11 spotting scopes one Sunday morning, that went into mid afternoon.
This was at a local sporting goods retailer.
The Tasco 20X60 scope was head and shoulders above ALL the others in the $60.00 to $429.99 range.
It was on sale for about $80.00 at that time.
I was very surprised by what I saw in the Tasco compared to others, some of the name brand scopes were way down the list.
I later got a mount that positions my cell phone camera (Samsung Galaxy Avant) at the eye piece and makes a great viewing screen.
The Tasco has been dependable for the last 2 years.
It is just one of those things that works as advertised.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Caution! Do not look thru this spotting scope!

Several years ago I made the expensive mistake of looking thru a Swarovski spotting scope and binoculars. After this experience, my old scope and binoculars went to ebay. This was an expensive lesson. I am ruined for life. The optical sharpness and clarity of the Swarovski scopes is extraordinary. During bright daylight all scopes look OK but at first light, last light or during dark or difficult lighting conditions the Swarovski optics earn their high cost. Used Swarovski scopes are sometimes affordable and their warranty is good for anyone. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Several years ago I made the expensive mistake of looking thru a Swarovski spotting scope and binoculars. After this experience, my old scope and binoculars went to ebay. This was an expensive lesson. I am ruined for life. The optical sharpness and clarity of the Swarovski scopes is extraordinary. During bright daylight all scopes look OK but at first light, last light or during dark or difficult lighting conditions the Swarovski optics earn their high cost. Used Swarovski scopes are sometimes affordable and their warranty is good for anyone. Just my opinion.
Yep. Quality optics will ruin whatever else you happen to own. Earlier in this thread I posted about a entry level Alpen spotting scope that was marginally adequate for sighting in a scope at 100 yards. Recently I decided I was ready to step it up a few notches to something I could use out to maybe 500 yards. I budgeted $1000. I did my research and decided I wanted a Vortex Razer. I headed off to the local sporting goods stores and gun shops. I found the Razer I wanted at a LGS for $899 and that's the going rate for that spotting scope. I decided to keep on shopping at the last two stores because I could always come back to the Razer.

I spent about an hour and a half at the optics counter in Cabelas looking through all their scopes except the high end scopes way out of my price range. I figured why bother looking at them if I knew there's no way I'm going to spend $2-4K on a spotting scope. I liked the Vortex and the Leupold scopes I looked at. I decided I was done for the day and was heading back to the LGS to get the Vortex Razer when I stopped by Cabelas Bargain Cave on my way out the door.

I found two of the Cabelas house brand spotting scopes deeply discounted so I took a look at them. Wow! What a difference between them and the Vortex/Leupold. Night & day. No contest. The Cabelas house brand blew them away. The ones they had were the Cabelas Instinct Euro HD 20-70X82. One was angled and one was straight. Both had lifetime warranty. One was a former display model (angled). In reality the Cabelas house brand are rebadged Meopta spotting scopes which is a highly respected and premium Czech manufacturer of optics. The one I bought is a rebadged Meopta MeoStar S2 and the warranty is covered by Meopta. The mounting plate on the scope is actually branded 'Meopta". The Meopta branded version of this scope sells for about $2300. Cabelas normally sells their version for about the same price but I bought mine for $362 + tax. Since Bass Pro and Cabelas are merging they're eliminating all the old Cabelas house branded merchandise. It's the exact same scope. Same manufacturer. Same assembly line. Same warranty. Same everything. The only difference between them is the Cabelas version doesn't have user detachable eyepieces. The glass is the same. The body is the same. The lens material/coatings are the same.

Best buy I ever got on anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts