Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I am thinking about picking up a Taurus 992 Tracker if I can find one with a 4 inch barrel. These guns appear to me to roughly be the size in comparison of a medium framed gun also made by Taurus but in .357/.38 Special chambering. Or close to a K/L framed Smith & Wesson. What I like about these guns is the quick type of cylinder change out. I am going to sell one of my bolt action centerfire rifles to get the funds necessary to pick up a Taurus 992. My question for you guys is there anyone out there that has one of these guns. Jeff Quinn in Gunblast gave this Taurus a very good rating & spoke highly of them. I know that the Ruger SP101 4.2 inch .22LR is a fine gun but just in .22LR not sure if S&W is still making a K or L framed gun with two cylinders .22LR/.22Magnum?? I already have a nice Pietta SA 10 shot .22/.22Magnum that I really like this gun has a 4-5/8 inch barrel very fun to shoot that's a keeper. This Taurus 992 looks to be a very nice revolver!!! Thank you in advance for any replies on the Taurus 992!!!:D;)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I don't have the 992 but, I do own a 4" 990 in stainless steel .22LR. I beleive that it is the same gun without the interchangeable cylinder. My 990 has performed flawlessly through countless rounds of various brands of .22LR ammo. The action is pretty good out of the box and has gotten really nice with use. It has become one of my favorite .22s.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I know it's not the one your considering but my Taurus has been great, I have a 941 22mag with the 4" barrel, got it used for $240, from the serial # it is a 1993 model.. This revolver has been amazing so far. No issues and over 500 rds.. Great gun, I have seen the tracker model 22/22mag used for $500 I almost bought it but decided I was happy with my 941.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have looked at the Model 94 same size as your 941 I like the size of these guns but man oh man what a heavy trigger pull yet Hickcock .45 gave the Taurus 94 in the stainless steel version favorable results. I could swing a model 94 without having to sell another gun to fund the purchase. the 992's new are very close if not over the $500.00 mark new. I like both size's of guns but the 992's do seem to have a much nicer & smoother action in DA/SA modes.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I don't have the 992 but, I do own a 4" 990 in stainless steel .22LR. I beleive that it is the same gun without the interchangeable cylinder. My 990 has performed flawlessly through countless rounds of various brands of .22LR ammo. The action is pretty good out of the box and has gotten really nice with use. It has become one of my favorite .22s.
Same here, I have the .22 LR only model and really enjoy it. Like most .22s, it works flawlessly as long as you keep it clean.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have the 992s and love it. shoot mostly the mag cylinder, but both work great. and as stated, trigger improved with use. would recommend this gun to anyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts