Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I walked in my LGS the other day for some primers. I looked in the used case, as always, and there laid an SP101 with 3" barrel. Of course I had to take a look at it. A very nice specimen so got the box out and test date was Oct 2009. I checked it over but just couldn't justify it so left with my primers. I got home and thought about it for about 10 minutes and that was to long! I grabbed a Taurus 627 and headed back over. 15 minutes after I got there the SP was mine and the LGS had the Taurus! There was nothing wrong with the Taurus as it was a tracker with the ported barrel and seven shot cylinder but it didn't say Ruger. I've had some bad experiences with Taurus CS and since then have made it a point to get rid of all my Taurus revolvers. I only have one left and since it's in 41 it just might be around for a while. I got the SP home and the only thing I found wrong was the previous owner shot 38s exclusively and didn't clean out the extra part of the cylinder and it was a mess. After about 2 hours I had it ready to go and am as happy as I can be. I already have a 3" SP so now I have 2. I changed out the panels and this is the end result. BTY I also got a pound of power and a brick of primers in the trade. With these last two items....it was an even trade!! I think I got the better end of the deal.

:):):)

The panels are Canary wood.

·
Banned
650 Posts
The trackers are popular but you have a better gun. I don't know why people shoot so much 38 ammo in a 357. it's like taking a shower with a raincoat on. The gun will not shoot the same with 38 ammo as with 357 ammo. I paid for a 357 to shoot a 357. If I wanted to shoot a pop gun I have several 9mm's hanging around.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
+1 OldCrow....nothing wrong with someone who wants to shoot 38s in there 357 but that's not for me. I have a 357 because I WANT to shoot 357s. If I wanted to shoot 38s I'd own a 38. Same goes for 44 Spls in a 44 Mag or 45 Colt in a 454,

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
41RED - We must think alike! I did the very same thing back in July and traded off a Taurus 992 I didn't really care for on a slightly used 3" SP101. You did a bit better than I did though - I had to pony up an extra $80 in the deal. Still, I was happy to make the deal and have loved the SP101. I agree you got the better end of the deal on that one!

Wave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well not everyone is made of money for .357 ammo :p Luckily it's my birthday tomorrow and my father-in-law got me a holster and a box of Blazer 158 gr. JHP's. Otherwise @ the range I typically go with Remington UMC .38 +P so it's still got some thunder and saves me a few bucks in the process. Sure it's not the same, but it's still putting rounds down range. Personal preference I guess.

·
Registered
17,444 Posts
Sounds like a good trade to me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think you made a good trade. I do not have any Taurus in my meager collection and will not have another one as I had problems with every Taurus I ever owned.

When I dumped my last Taurus I also got the SP101 3" chambered in .327 Fed Mag. I load my own and get 1422 fps and 442 fpe with H110 powder and Hornady 100 grn XTP bullets. Carry it on a daily basis. Wicked little devil for a 32. Love shooting it at the range.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Very good trade, enjoy be safe.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Man I've been wanting a spurless SP for a while now and now I know what grip panels I want when I get my hands on one.

Those Canary wood panels are fine!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Nice deal! I got the message on Taurus before I ever owned one.

So far as shooting .38s in a .357, I don't see the difference. The bore is the same, and the chamber length difference is so small to be insignificant. Like having a longer forcing cone.

I bought a .357 LCR, planning to shoot .38s in it. I chose it for the stronger stainless steel cylinder frame, versus the aluminum frame on the .38 LCR. Although having only put 50 rounds through it so far, I got 4 inch groups at it's sighted 12 yards.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am in the process of "Getting Rid" of my Taurus guns as well. Will not ever consider another one. I think you came out on top of that trade.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts