Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Exchequer
4,584 Posts
Don't own one and never shot one, so I can't weigh in with any degree of authority.

However, there are some who don't care for Taurus firearms in general. Personally, I don't have any disdain for the brand and own three of their items.

On the surface, the G3 looks like a nice, budget friendly 9mm.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I own a Traditions muzzleloader and a Heritage Rough rider. Both Taurus products as far as I know. Economical and functional but not a company I’d trust for a carry gun if I could save and afford something a little nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have one and have 478 rounds thru it at this time.
The 15 round mag will sometimes not lock the slide back, I have modified the top coil of the mag spring to try to fix this, time will tell.
The pistol itself have been flawless so far and with practice it is accurate as any other main stream pistol of similar type.
Three dot sights and the dots are small, used paint to enlarge them, old eyes.
Fairly nice trigger with a double strike capability.
You can tell it meets a price point but so far it has been good.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have owned a Taurus G2 for about 2 years now. I have a safe full of name brand stuff, but could not resist the $180 sale price for the G2. I have around 500 rounds through it. Flawless performance.

I also own a G26 Glock, that cost me over $500. The Glock is only a marginally better gun IMHO. The Glock has a better finish and trigger. The Taurus has second strike capability. The Glock is smaller with the shorty clip in it. They shoot about equal for me.

Considering the price differential, the G2 is a better buy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Late to the post but new to forum. Bought a new G3 a month or so ago. $230 didn’t seem too steep a price to satisfy my curiosity. I have similar sized pistols by Ruger, Glock, and H&K. The G3 feels a little smaller and the slide is the easiest to rack. The trigger is the thing that is most unique. Mine has a very long travel and doesn’t break until it’s almost at the frame. The reset seems to be similar to other manufacturers. TheG3 also has what Taurus describes as second strike capability to pull the trigger a second time if a FTF occurs. I haven’t encountered this yet but it does add a bit to dry fire practice.

I like the G3 and am generally as accurate with it as other, more expensive pistols. I’ve only shot it a few times and it has functioned reliably. For me the huge downside is the lack of support in the availability of extra magazines (the 15 round flush seem scarcer than Bigfoot) and night sights. If Taurus addressed these issues I might be inclined to add a G2c, but in part because of these issues I’m the happy owner of a full size and compact RAP.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you. I’ll check there. Don’t know why I hadn’t thought about that because I look for extras on shopruger. Appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts