Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the Taurus Millennium PRO PT111 or the PT145? I've been looking at one of these as a primary carry. People over on TFL seem to like them a lot. I've been wary of Taurus but with their recent success with the PT1911 I've begun to rethink my bias against them. I've never actually used their semi-autos before. I've shot plenty of their revolvers and other than a few rare cases they've seemed pretty decent, especially for the price.

I can get a PT111 or 145 locally for roughly $350-400 which is why they are looking pretty appealing. I like my .380's but if I'm going to trust my life to it I think I want something with a little bit more punch.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I found a NIB PT111 this morning for $300 +tax and went for it. I'll report back later this week when I get some range time with it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If I were getting a small semi auto 45 I would have to compare the Taurus along with others of the same size to see what fits. The Taurus I believe wins out in the price catigory all all of the ones I have looked at before.

But it has been a while since I gave them a look see but haven't shot the Taurus at all.

Let us know how it does for you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes...I have one and found it to be a good carry piece. Since it is short barrel...I carry the Corbon DPX 160 Gr all copper bullet which is light, fast, and gives consistent expansion out of this 10 + 1 pocket cannon.

Not a target gun...but far more accurate than my 642...I can put two magazines, quickly fired, on target at 25 feet consistently.

I like the High Noon OWB scabbard with the side shield...pure comfort.

Carries well...light weight.

I did, however, order my next carry piece (which we are always doing) from Gemini Customs...a 3 inch barrel GP100 w/moon clips. I dunno...just like a revolver. Still...I like the Millennium Pro PT-145. This is an inexpensive weapon that works for me. I get lots of negative feedback on THR from the Sig/HK crowd. People that pay over $1000 for their autos never want you to succeed with a Taurus. I did not do the final test, however, which is to take it through a weapon's course with continual firing. There have been instructors, on THR again, that have told me that they do not hold up. Works fine at the range though...and I really doubt I'll run into a situation where I have to fight off a platoon of attackers all morning using 500 rounds or so.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yeah, a 111 belonging to a friend. Used it a bit and really like it. Warranty is excellent and it, like most Taurus products, has a manual safety.

Interestingly, one of our larger police supply stores in my general area has started stocking Taurus. Frankly, I think I think they're darned hard to beat...

I have no problem with a "111" in my holster....seems to work as well as th' high dollar stuff, given it's intended use....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just don't have to use the warranty... My father in-law had a problem with the sight on a revolver he bought. It took several months for them to send him a new sight. He will never buy another Taurus.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have found their customer service dept rude and obnoxious on several occasions...ie. arguing that they'd never made this or that, when I gave them the model number and told them I'd held one myself...I'd probably buy one used if I wanted that feature or something...but never a new one and if a gunsmith couldn't solve it-I'd destroy it before I'd call Taurus...I called back and got another customer service rep on the above problem, and she listened and I asked for a supervisor-she transferred me right back to the a-hole I'd had the problem with, and he was laughing as he picked up the phone...I wonder why he had that job??? I was glad Taurus wasn't located in Duncanville-I'd be in jail now...it's cost them a few sales since...whether they care or not...customer service used to mean just that...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If it does, good gunsmiths can fix 'em and don't charge a lot...that'd be my course....glad to see you moving to a more powerful package...betcha you'll be glad...besides, if things get tough, the ammo's lots easier to find....

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I was used to paying $65 for 250 rounds of Remington 40 S&W Target ammo. The 9mm Luger in the same brand and from the same store is $39.98 for 250 rounds. I can finally afford to shoot one of my guns hurray! (other than my MK III of course ;))

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took it to the range today. Put about 100 rounds through it without any failures to fire/feed/eject. I do however have two complaints:

1. The magazine release is in the worst possible place imaginable. It took me about 50 rounds before I found a way to hold the gun without accidentally releasing the magazine every other shot. There's just barely room for both of my thumbs to fit above the mag release without actually hitting it and without letting my thumbs brush the slide. It's a very awkward position to have to use. Maybe I'm just holding it wrong, I let another guy who was there hold it and he had the same problem. It's also possible my hands are just too big for this little gun. I really wish I could have found a PT145 instead, the thicker grips would have made this less of an issue.

2. The sights on the gun have obviously been "slapped on". The front sight has been very carelessly installed and as a result it's far off to the left side. The rear sight looks ok for the most part but it isn't dead center either. In order to get the gun to shoot straight I had to line the front sight up with the right post of the rear sight. It actually made it easier to see the target since I could see it between the massive gap between the front sight and left post of the rear sight. This is a simple QC issue. I always assume I'll need to adjust the sights on every gun I buy but this is less of an adjustment and more of a re-installation of the front sights.

The mechanics of the gun worked flawlessly but the sights were a major let down. There's nothing I can do about the mag release but I can at least fix the sights. I like the gun as a whole, it handles the recoil very well for such a small frame. It's just an annoyance that they let a gun ship out that barely had the front sight installed. For $300 I can't really complain I guess, although I have to say my Bersa Thunder 380 worked perfectly out of the box with zero adjustments for $198.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the sight unscrewed and drifted back to the center. Judging by how it shot today this should fix the accuracy problem. I'll be sure and report back once I know.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Maybe some of our friends over on the taurus board can help with the mag release---possibly a stronger spring to the button?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
http://www.taurusarmed.net/

This again is a maybe but they might have some ideas.
They have a millimium section and a gunsmith section.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a PT145 Mil Pro that I like very much. I agree that it is not for target shooting, since it is not very accurate at a distance. However, for self-defense, it is a honey. Also, I have found that the low powered ammo (wwb for example) does not quite cycle the slide as briskly as it should. But no problems with self-defense ammo. Here are some pix:

http://www.mouseguns.com/ratguns/pt145/pt145.htm

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a PT111. No problems at the range but I haven't shot any demanding courses of fire with it yet. No problems with the mag release. Not as accurate as my P345 but still a nice gun.

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
I bought one in the same family as yours. Its a PT745 - identical to the 145 except it has a single stack mag and only holds 6+1. I shot 100 rounds thru mine the first time out and one mag fed 100% - the other about 25%. Sent the mag back to Taurus and received a new one in about 3 weeks. This one works great too. After shooting another couple of hundred rounds, the slide stop starting messing up. There is a flat L-shaped end on it that is slipping to the outside of the notch in the slide and doesn't always lock back. I'm going to try to have my dealer ship it back to Taurus. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll bite the bullet and spend the $50 for UPS overnight. I'm not giving up on it though - it's accurate, hides good and shoots pretty soft for a sub-compact .45. I've also got a Taurus PT1911 and it is bullet-proof so far.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You know, alot of people want to jab at the 9mm but you sure can afford to shoot alot of it for practice. And it will still do the job with a well placed shot. I hope you get all the kinks worked out. Awhile back, I had looked at the 45 version. The thought of 10 shots from a defender size gun was appealing. But I was afraid to drop coin on a Taurus...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts