Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a PT1911 on loan for a day and shot about 100 rounds through it. I was using a 230gr cast SWC and did not have a single malfunction. The word the gun writers over use would be "flawless". Anyway it was the first Taurus of any kind that I have fired and I was quite impressed with this gun. Very accurate and seemed to be well finished.

The only problem that I had was trying to do double and triple taps too fast. My finger was faster than the trigger could reset. And it was a very nice trigger too. Maybe it needed a bit more spring tension or was sticky because it is (was) new. But I was still impressed with this gun. With all of the bells and whistles that come with it for its price I would certainly consider it if looking a another .45.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I to have been impressed with this gun. Got to mess with one a few weeks back and i liked its features and it shot well. Main negatives i hear about is the finish---looked ok to me---seems everyone is still looking for that stainless version.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I have seriously considered one of these guns. I honestly have not heard anything bad about them.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I have a PT1911 that is about 1 year old now. I use it to shoot USPSA Single Stack Major. I've put well over 5000 rounds through it without a single problem. It did take some time for the trigger & things to work in & smooth up. I usually practice with 200gr Cast round nose bullets & 230 FMJ's. I shoot the 230's at the matches. Like my other 1911's, it is picky about the C.O.L. with flat points but does pretty good with the hollow points. The finish does wear off where it contacts the holster, but I haven't had a rust issue & don't really mind the looks of it. You can tell at a glance that it isn't a Safe Queen!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
well there are those that like safe queens but me I like them to be shot. I have one on lay away right now. I am sure ready to get it out and shoot it alot lol.

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
I've had one for a year or so now. I don't know how many rounds have been through it (several hundred), but it has been perfect. I own or have owned several Colt 1911's over the years, and this is the best functioning one so far. It's accurate to boot. What's not to like?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rman

I've had one for a year or so now. I don't know how many rounds have been through it (several hundred), but it has been perfect. I own or have owned several Colt 1911's over the years, and this is the best functioning one so far. It's accurate to boot. What's not to like?
:)Nuttin, Honey!:D

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've looked into getting one, I need a 1911 in my collection. MSRP on the blued version is still $700 though. That feels like alot of money for a Taurus, even one that has as many "modifications" as the PT 1911 does. I would like to have one but I don't know if I could bring myself to pay that much for a Taurus, especially when I can get a Springfield 1911 GI for $500.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice collection David. If the MSRP is $700 maybe they sell for a lot less. I have not priced them in stores but I will when I get the chance out of curiousity.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have one on lay away right now, its only had 9 rounds shot out of it. And i got it with 10 chip McCormic mags 8 rounders. It comes with two and the old boy bought 8 more to go with it. Then trades it off, its like a new gun to me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
quote:Originally posted by shdwrdr

Very nice collection David. If the MSRP is $700 maybe they sell for a lot less. I have not priced them in stores but I will when I get the chance out of curiousity.
Haha, I wish I owned all those! Those are just stock photos from Springfield Armory. I'm thinking my first 1911 will probably be a Springfield 1911-A1 Milspec. That or a Rock River Armory 1911, I like both a lot.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Boy Snuffy, sounds like you got quite a deal!:) I know your gonna' like the PT1911![8D]

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
yep I know I will, cutting corns now to try and get it out earlier.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,806 Posts
David the Gnome, Things aren't always what they seem ... Springfield Armory was a US Govt Armory located in Springfield, Mass until 1968 when it closed after 191 years in operation. A company was formed after the closing and was named Springfield Armory. It is located in Geneseo, IL and has absolutely nothing to do with the real Springfield Armory other than it stole the name. The parts for Springfield Armory pistols are made in Brazil and the guns are assembled in Geneseo.

I'm not bad mouthing Springfield Armory 1911s but considering Tarus PT-1911s are also made in Brazil, I really can't see the hype. The Tarus PT-1911 comes with a lot of extras that most owners would add as aftermarket parts (at a considerable expense). These would include the beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety, extended slide release, extended trigger, and of course the sights. The finish on the SAs is not what you find on a Tarus either. The SAs you pictured are the bare bones models ... still respectable guns but you can't logically compare a fully equipped model with a stripped model.

Being an old 1911 freak, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Tarus PT-1911. Springers are OK but most of them need some serious action work and just don't meet the accuracy or functional reliability of a Tarus. By the time you upgrade a SA to Tarus standards, you will have way more $$$ invested. Now if you're happy with a bare bones 1911, get the Springer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Words on Iowegan. I have a Springfield Trophy Match Long Slide since 2001 (it's 100% made in the US). I also have a Taurus PT1911SS and a BUL M5 Ultra-x (my new CCW).

The Taurus is one helluva gun for the $. Don't get me wrong I have well over 10,000 rounds through the Springer but the Taurus is one of the best 1911s out there, actually for the money there is absolutely nothing like it. I payed 575 for it, where else can you get a brand new SS 1911 loaded for that?

By the way, my BUL is a great gun as well!

When it comes to semi-auto it's hard to beat a 1911, in .45 of course ;)

·
Registered
405 Posts
"and just don't meet the accuracy or functional reliability of a Tarus." Strong words considering that this is not the Taurus forum.

I was going to buy an SA Mil-Spec because I liked my son's and didn't want to drop the bucks on one of the pricier brands. Ran across a Taurus at a darned good price and have been very pleased with the features, performance and accuracy. I still like the springer but I think the Taurus is hands down a better buy.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
well that seals the deal, my 600$ tax rebate will be going to Taurus.. in 1911 form!
Excellent! I think you'll be extremely pleased with your purchase. We have a couple of guys on the taurus board who own 2 PT1911s and one who owns 4. If I can add a stainless in .45 ACP I'll be happy. Though if they release them in other chamberings as they've mentioned (9mm & .40 S&W), I'll pick up one in 9x19mm also. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts