Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past couple of weeks we seem to have an abundance of threads on topics like gun control legislation, gang violence or politicians busted for illegal guns, etc. that are being posted in the Tavern. These threads will elicit strong responses about topics that are suited for the Minefield. The mods have been moving the threads instead of simply closing or deleting them. Users need to give more thought to whether the thread belongs in the Minefield rather than just posting to the Tavern.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
Duly noted. I assumed that if it was going to involve differing opinions I wouldn't want to be drinking beer and discussing it so I tried to always pick the right forum.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
It's a shame we cannot discuss gun-control issues in the Tavern, but some folks will just go too far.

I don't visit the Mine Field because I understand it's where all the trouble is, but if the Tavern cannot handle orderly discussion, I guess we just can't openly handle gun control here.

I'm guilty of posting gun-control-related links in the Tavern as an effort to keep us all informed, but I guess I'll just stop doing that. Too bad.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,319 Posts
Works for me.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
It's a shame we cannot discuss gun-control issues in the Tavern, but some folks will just go too far.

I don't visit the Mine Field because I understand it's where all the trouble is, but if the Tavern cannot handle orderly discussion, I guess we just can't openly handle gun control here.

I'm guilty of posting gun-control-related links in the Tavern as an effort to keep us all informed, but I guess I'll just stop doing that. Too bad.
Not sure I understand. You can post in Minefield and respond to only the posts/threads you want to. Kind of like if you don't like a tv show, turn the channel. I really haven't seen trouble yet either but have only been a member since January. All in all, it seems pretty level headed to me and easy to discern which forum is best for what is being said and discussed. Each forum is described in detail. One of the first things I learned in boot camp was "pay attention". C'mon man.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
And if you don't like my posts, you can just ignore them and not respond to them, OK?

Your snarky response was typical of the reasons the Minefield was made "members only" in the first place, limiting those with limited self-control to a place of like personalities.

C'mon, man.

:rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
Snarky? Really? :cool:

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
it's getting a tad hot in here ... guys and gals the post was meant in a positive way (i'm pretty sure about that) ...

no need to attach each other ...

OP might want to close this thread ...

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
All in good fun. :D

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Terry, just remember, no good deed goes unpunished.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
And if you don't like my posts, you can just ignore them and not respond to them, OK?

Your snarky response was typical of the reasons the Minefield was made "members only" in the first place, limiting those with limited self-control to a place of like personalities.

C'mon, man.

:rolleyes:
While your comments were fairly accurate for the past, due to the Moderators taking a very proactive approach to the Minefield and making certain all participants toe the line (robust discussion but absolutely no personal attacks or trolling) the Minefield is actually a great venue for discussing the more controversial subjects these days :).

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
OK, then what's the justification for having the Mine Field be a "members only"-"subscription only" forum?

If the Mine Field is moderared to ensure gentlemanly discussion of controversial subjects, why cannot the general population here be allowed to do the same thing? It would seem that the only rationale would be to "protect" those gentle souls who cannot tolerate even the slightest disagreement . . . perhaps those of "somewhat more intense sensitivity" or on the other hand the tendency to overreact.

I'm not trying to stir this up, but when the Mine Field was created it was more or less an "open field" for heated discussion that occasionally got more than a little personal. I'd gladly butt out here if the rules of the Mine Field were made "public" to the general membership so we can see if we want to participate there or not. Otherwise the distinction between the two forums is a little hazy, perhaps even somewhat manipulated.

Is this not a reasonable request?

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
"Checking guns at the door" in one forum and a "free fire zone" in the other forum, I think explains it all. I have as thick a skin as anyone here but I can see the difference in the two forums and can easily make up my mind as to which to enter or post at. Hopefully you take my response in the friendly manner it was given.

Forum design can change a little over time and we as members should adapt.

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
I'm awaiting a response from a site moderator.
The Tavern is designed as an open forum to discuss things that don't fit into any of the other more specific forums. Tavern topics may or may not be gun related. For example, someone may post a thread in the Tavern regarding sports or they may post a thread regarding range etiquette. Neither of those topics are generally considered to be controversial. OTOH, the Minefield was created specifically to house threads and topics that by their very nature are controversial: politics, religion, etc. The reason you must request admission to the Minefield is because the Minefield by definition has the potential to become heated and we want to prevent folks that can't discuss hot topics like an adult from poisoning the conversation.

The same rules that apply in the rest of the forums apply in the Minefield. Civil discussion and no personal attacks. Passion is allowed but pejoratives are not. When you enter the Minefield you do so knowing in advance that hot topics are being discussed and you might read something you strongly disagree with. If that has the potential to disturb you you probably should stay out of the Minefield. If you can't discuss hot topics without becoming emotional you should probably stay out of the Minefield. If you can't disagree without being disagreeable you should probably stay out of the Minefield. If you joined the Ruger forum solely to enjoy gun related discussions you should probably stay out of the Minefield.

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
The Tavern is designed as an open forum to discuss things that don't fit into any of the other more specific forums. Tavern topics may or may not be gun related. For example, someone may post a thread in the Tavern regarding sports or they may post a thread regarding range etiquette. Neither of those topics are generally considered to be controversial. OTOH, the Minefield was created specifically to house threads and topics that by their very nature are controversial: politics, religion, etc. The reason you must request admission to the Minefield is because the Minefield by definition has the potential to become heated and we want to prevent folks that can't discuss hot topics like an adult from poisoning the conversation.

The same rules that apply in the rest of the forums apply in the Minefield. Civil discussion and no personal attacks. Passion is allowed but pejoratives are not. When you enter the Minefield you do so knowing in advance that hot topics are being discussed and you might read something you strongly disagree with. If that has the potential to disturb you you probably should stay out of the Minefield. If you can't discuss hot topics without becoming emotional you should probably stay out of the Minefield. If you can't disagree without being disagreeable you should probably stay out of the Minefield. If you joined the Ruger forum solely to enjoy gun related discussions you should probably stay out of the Minefield.
Very well said ... however what the hell does "pejoratives" mean ... :eek: now where's my Merriam Webster dictionary ...

·
Registered
8,009 Posts

Yes no pejoratives ... that's a good word Bonk ...

·
Super Moderator
21,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, then what's the justification for having the Mine Field be a "members only"-"subscription only" forum?

If the Mine Field is moderared to ensure gentlemanly discussion of controversial subjects, why cannot the general population here be allowed to do the same thing? It would seem that the only rationale would be to "protect" those gentle souls who cannot tolerate even the slightest disagreement . . . perhaps those of "somewhat more intense sensitivity" or on the other hand the tendency to overreact.

I'm not trying to stir this up, but when the Mine Field was created it was more or less an "open field" for heated discussion that occasionally got more than a little personal. I'd gladly butt out here if the rules of the Mine Field were made "public" to the general membership so we can see if we want to participate there or not. Otherwise the distinction between the two forums is a little hazy, perhaps even somewhat manipulated.

Is this not a reasonable request?
The obvious reason is to control the vitriol we have experienced in the past. Many come to RFN to discuss firearms, shooting and hunting and don't care about the latest hot political topic. They can choose not to join the Minefield. We have closed he Minefield in the past because several members would not follow the rules. The rules of the Minefield:

You have voluntarily entered the Minefield. This forum is to be used for sensitive subjects including politics & religion and is not designed for general chat. With that said, keep in mind that there are still some very specific rules to be followed during your time in the minefield, and they are as follows:

1. NO TROLL THREADS. If your goal is only to start controversy and walk away, don't bother as your thread will be locked and/or deleted at the discretion of the staff. If you start a thread in the Minefield, be prepared to see it through and to help keep it on track.
2. DEBATE RESPECTFULLY. Absolutely NO Personal attacks on fellow forum members will be allowed.
3. WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE. Foul language (including abbreviated and modified versions) and slurs aimed at race, religion, creed or sexual orientation will not be tolerated.

If you feel a thread or post is out of line, please report them by clicking the appropriate icon . A staff member will review the report and take action as needed. Finally, please note that the comments and opinions in the Minefield DO NOT represent the opinions of the RugerForum.net staff and management

Regards,
RF.Net Staff
If you wish to discuss controversial topics then apply to the Minefield. It's that simply really.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.