Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you guys are often talking about "biscuits".
(Something) with biscuits and gravy the most common.
They are not similiar to the biscuits I am familiar with.
They sound like something we would call scones (but unsweetened). Am I close?

Scone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But you guys make them, I go out and buy bread.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts

they're kind of similar to an unsweetened scone, but in my experience, scones are usually a little harder and drier inside than our biscuits. biscuits here are usually somewhat dry on the outside, but if done right easy to push a fork through, and they don't crack and crumble apart the way scones sometimes can. inside they are (again, if done well) usually fairly soft and moist. and yes, many of us love them best and most with a white peppery gravy that has generous amounts of ground pork and/ or pork sausage in it. awesome, warm stick-to-your-ribs kind of breakfast. the kind of thing i like to have before going skiing or a long day of hiking or what have you...

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sound great, there are some great recipes around.
Wife does a great gravy from scratch, we might have to experiment. :D

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
You find Scones are popular in some of the Western States...Utah probably best known for them, served with butter and Honey for a sweet pastry-sticky mees, but good in the morning.

Not so much here in the Midwest..where the Baking Powder biscuits are the rule served covered with white pepper gravy and pork bits.

Doughnuts...circular pastries range nationwide in a huge variety of flavors and frosted with anything you can imagine. My favorite of all comes out of Portland OR where they make a Maple-glazed/frosted pastry with Bacon strips imbedded in the frosting. One of the all time great pastries.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It really depends on where youre from in the states as well. My family here in Ohio make biscuits VERY different than my family in West Virginia. Truth be told I prefer West Virginia style. Better crust, moister center.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
biscuits

Sound great, there are some great recipes around.
Wife does a great gravy from scratch, we might have to experiment. :D
When biscuits are made with gravy they are talking about with sausage gravy. The gravy is whit gravy with bits of sausage and or the grease left after cooking suasage. This was done to get a good tasting meal without the use of more meat to save money it was is popular in the us south and lower midwest.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If I didn't care how big my waistline was I could eat biscuits and gravy on a daily basis. Yummmmmmm.......

·
Registered
4,965 Posts

Yup, those sure look like biscuits. Over here, scones are something you buy at a coffee shop to go with your coffee. My favorite is maple.

·
Registered
540 Posts
When biscuits are made with gravy they are talking about with sausage gravy. The gravy is whit gravy with bits of sausage and or the grease left after cooking suasage. This was done to get a good tasting meal without the use of more meat to save money it was is popular in the us south and lower midwest.
Oh Gawd!!!
Shut!
Up!

You've got me full tilt jonesin now.
My favorite white gravies that Momma used to make:
Sausage
Chicken
Plowhandle

Boss Lady (herself a mountain woman) makes a fantastic version of all three.
Not as good as Momma's. But nobody makes gravy as good as Momma's! Law of nature...

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Biscuits

:)The photo looks like you're on the right track--now just add some good gamebird and gravy, some home grown squash, and a good wine, and you're all set:D

·
Registered
644 Posts
I don't know how my wife makes them, but here's a basic recipe to be able to make your own and experiment to make it your own. Might be interesting to see the Australian spin on biscuits and gravy

Southern Biscuits And Gravy Recipe - Food.com - 236284

Again, I don't know how my wife does it, but she does...

One of the best breakfasts I have ever had was, surprisingly, in San Diego. Some little restaurant, had chicken fried steak with eggs and potatoes and biscuits and gravy. Great gravy, but it was sausage gravy with bacon added into it.... oh boy..... I had breakfast there 3 times that week...

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
A bit off-topic, but my favorite food I discovered well away from home is the butterhorn. It's popular in the Pacific Northwest, but unheard of in Virginia.

It's a dinner plate size cinnamon roll about two inches thick, with thick sugar icing on top. Served hot, swimming in butter. I would guess it's got about 5000 calories.......:D

But, if you want a weird stare from a waitress, try ordering grits in the Pacific Northwest.

James, as a variation of biscuits and gravy, have you heard of "s**t on a shingle" (pardon my French, please)?? It's chipped beef in white gravy, on toast. I would imagine Aussies would know of that from American servicemen.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Damn, now I gotta make pork chops, biscuits and gravy for dinner tonight!

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Biscuits

A bit off-topic, but my favorite food I discovered well away from home is the butterhorn. It's popular in the Pacific Northwest, but unheard of in Virginia.

It's a dinner plate size cinnamon roll about two inches thick, with thick sugar icing on top. Served hot, swimming in butter. I would guess it's got about 5000 calories.......:D

But, if you want a weird stare from a waitress, try ordering grits in the Pacific Northwest.

James, as a variation of biscuits and gravy, have you heard of "s**t on a shingle" (pardon my French, please)?? It's chipped beef on toast. I would imagine Aussies would know of that from American servicemen.
:)Now douse that cinnamon role in sausage gravy and your on your way to heaven--in more ways than one:D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts