Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep kicking around the idea of getting something chambered in .327 Federal. I've had a .32 H&R Single Six for a while, which I enjoy. I'm a fan of single-action revolvers, and I thougtht about getting the Single Seven in .327, but it seems kind of redundant having the S6 already. I'd jump on oneif I could find a .327 Blackhawk at a reasonable price, but that's not likely.

The GP100 seems like overkill in the little .32 caliber cartridge. Had they put 8 holes in the cylinder, I might be tempted anyway. Ruger managed to make the Blackhawk an 8-shooter, so it should be possible in a GP as well. Especially considering that they can fit 7 in the little Single Six frame.

Don't mention the LCR. It might work great, but I can't get past how it looks. Seems a Glock and a revolver got drunk one night...

But that gets me to the SP101. I owned the 3" version in .357 from the mid-'90s to the early 2000s. It was your typical Ruger DA revolver. Built like a tank and weighed about as much. It was a bit too large and heavy for pocket carry, but it made a decent belt gun. I found it comfortable shooting magnum loads. The DA trigger was typical Ruger-heavy, but it was smooth. The SA trigger was pretty decent, if also a bit heavy. It did what it does ok. Just not ok enought to keep it around, when I could pack a K- or L-frame S&W for about the same weight and size, but with one more round and a better trigger.

Fast forward. The 4" barrel on the little SP101 frame doesn't look half bad, but for a "target" gun, it's a bit of a head scratcher. Too small, heavy trigger, still only a 5-shooter in .357 Mag. But does it make sense in the smaller .327 Fed? The gun is heavy enough that the recoil should not be a problem.

If I were to get one, I would primarily use it when out hiking around. Maybe use it for concealed carry from time to time. Or maybe just for something different to plink with. I already reload .32 H&R, so loading for the .327 shouldn't be an issue.

So, questions:

• How well can the trigger be slicked up? My .357 had been bone stock, no work done to it.
  • Can the 4" barrel reasonably be carried IWB, or is it better off worn on the outside of the belt?
  • What kind of accuracy are you getting?
  • Overall thougths / impressions?
  • Is there something else I should be considering?

·
Registered
85 Posts
What's wrong with a 3" barrel on the SP101 for .327fed? They do come in that, and that would help the weight/size issue some. The 3" barrel is 1.22" longer than the LCR/LCRx are currently offered in (they do offer it with .357/.38/larger, but not for .327fed).

Personally, a 3" SP101 would be very CCW-capable... if I always wore a loose overshirt or jacket.

The weight is not significantly greater than my Sig 938... ;)

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I have experience with the .327 in the SP-101, Single 7, and GP-100; of the 3, I like the GP-100 the best.

The .327 is a 50,000 psi chamber pressure rnd and even with the .32 bullets it can produce a lot of recoil in a light revolver and does with 100 & 115 gr bullets.

After 30 rnds of 100 gr ammo from the SP-101, with the original 2 piece grip, my hand went numb for 2 days causing me to get a rubber Hogue grip which made the gun much easier to shoot..

Single 7 is not bad to shoot.

The GP-100 is very mild shooting, much so that you could classify it as an all day shooting gun. The GP-100 is the most accurate as well.

I compared the .327 to the .357 in paper bundles and got the same penetration even though the .357 had a longer barrel.

·
Super Moderator
21,350 Posts
What's wrong with a 3" barrel on the SP101 for .327fed? They do come in that, and that would help the weight/size issue some. The 3" barrel is 1.22" longer than the LCR/LCRx are currently offered in (they do offer it with .357/.38/larger, but not for .327fed).

Personally, a 3" SP101 would be very CCW-capable... if I always wore a loose overshirt or jacket.

The weight is not significantly greater than my Sig 938... ;)
I agree with most of what you say but there is an 11 oz difference between the 938 and the 3" SP. Two different handguns completely. I wouldn't try to pocket carry a 3" SP nor would I walk in the woods with a P938.

The Sp is a great revolver and the 327 is an interesting caliber but I already have a 2 1/4" in 357 so probably not in my future but looks like a fun revolver to own.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
"So, questions:
How well can the trigger be slicked up? My .357 had been bone stock, no work done to it."

My 2.25" .357 mag SP started out with a double action around 14 lbs. After a tune (polishing the innards, reducing the step on the hammer by 0.020" to get more firing pin protrusion, reduced weight springs) the double action is down in the low 8's per my Chatillon recording gauge and high 7's with the Lyman gauge. The mainspring is a Wolff 9 lb and return spring an 8 lb. With the 10 pound mainspring per the Chatillon gauge double action is 9 lbs. So, a major improvement can be made in trigger pull.

I would provide single action pull but the gun started out as double action only and I acquired a da/sa hammer. The single action is right at 3 lbs. I am sure it could be reduced some but I am content with where it is at.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree with most of what you say but there is an 11 oz difference between the 938 and the 3" SP.
Huh. I guess I just don't notice the weight with the SP101... but then, I haven't actually shot one (a 3" .327 is on my "to buy" list - near the top), just handled one at the gun store. Maybe after I do I'll see the difference.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Been carrying the SP in .327 for about 5 years now everyday. The 3 inch version. Don’t really notice the weight. Mine has been dry fired around 3000 times and has about 1000 rounds of full bore .327 through it. The trigger is one of the best I have on a handgun.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After 30 rnds of 100 gr ammo from the SP-101, with the original 2 piece grip, my hand went numb for 2 days causing me to get a rubber Hogue grip which made the gun much easier to shoot..
Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Just curious, have you shot the SP101 in .357 and if so, how do the two compare?

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 4" SP-101 in .327 Fed and bought it to be a woods walking gun. Adjustable sights, small light package; in a Simply Rugged Pancake; what's not to like? I reload so that allows me to tailor the load to be as mild or warm as I want . I've never had an issue with the trigger pull out of the box, but that's a personal preference and maybe I am not as picky as others, or maybe I got lucky.

How accurate is it? If I do my part it is more accurate than I am. I haven't zero'd in on a load that I think is a tack driver yet, but that's more a function of too much time at work and not enough time at the bench / range. I can tell you that with the 100 grain American Eagle soft points if I can get a sight picture on it under 50 yards, I can hit it. YMMV.

As far as an IWB carry, I wouldn't think carrying a four inch IWB would be an issue at all, but I don't know what your body looks like; curves like; what belt you are using (which makes a huge difference) nor what you normally carry IWB, if anything. I've carried a 4" Redhawk in .44 Mag IWB for a few weeks at a time and never had an issue, so take that into consideration.

If you intend to reload for the .327 Federal, Rimrock Bullets in Montana casts a 125 grain true Keith SWC for the .32 caliber and I've had good luck with them over Accurate #9. I haven't tried them over H110 or Lil' Gun, but that's on my list. I've also had good results with the Cast Performance 113 grain gas checked bullet over a case full of slower burning powders.

Last but not least, two other thoughts. #1 - Keep the .32 H & R. They are two distinctly different cartridges and I also have the 4" SP-101 in .32 H & R and am glad I do. I prefer to shoot the cartridge in the gun that the barrel is stamped for; that's my personal preference. #2 - Henry makes a lovely rifle in .327 that would be a nice companion to a .327 SP-101.

If you buy one, I think you'll come to love it. The .327 Cartridge is not everyone's cup of tea, and many want to dismiss it or trash talk it or don't see a purpose for it. For those of us that love it, that's great!!! More for us to enjoy !!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Last but not least, two other thoughts. #1 - Keep the .32 H & R. They are two distinctly different cartridges and I also have the 4" SP-101 in .32 H & R and am glad I do. I prefer to shoot the cartridge in the gun that the barrel is stamped for; that's my personal preference. #2 - Henry makes a lovely rifle in .327 that would be a nice companion to a .327 SP-101.
I have a Henry Big Boy Steel Carbine in .327 Federal - Henry states that it is also designed to properly load & fire the .32 H&R Magnum.

Big Boy Classic .327Fed: 20" octagonal barrel, hardened brass receiver. 8.68 pounds
Big Boy Carbine .327Fed: 16.5" octagonal barrel, hardened brass receiver. 7.76 pounds
Big Boy Steel .327Fed: 20" round barrel, steel receiver. 7 pounds
Big Boy Steel Carbine .327Fed: 16.5" round barrel, steel receiver. 6.59 pounds
All weights are from the Henry website.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My understanding is the 4.2-inch barrels are significantly driven by the Canadian market and the minimum barrel length rule for handguns.

I also think about the 4.2-inch .327 quite a bit, waffling between that, a Single Seven and the GP. Then I ask whether they would really be better than a Contender, and end up not buying anything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...Then I ask whether they would really be better than a Contender, and end up not buying anything.
It’s funny you mention that. I have several Contenders, and I have looked into having a barrel in .327 Fed (or even .32 H&R) built. But by the time I have it set up the way I want, I’m at the cost of a new SP101 or Single Seven. And that’s just for the barrel, without optics.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My loop goes like this:

Bullberry made their .327 Fed barrels with .308 groove diameter, so people could use spire-point rifle bullets. When you think about the advantages, it's worth it. But then you have this barrel that the manufacturer tells you can't safely fire factory ammo in the cartridge it's chambered for.

So to solve that problem, make it a .30 Carbine. A little more performance, and native .308 so you can buy factory ammo for plinking if you want, and no special instructions that aren't obvious to the uninitiated. Still a small little case you can have a bunch of in your pocket.

But for most of what I'd want a .327 Fed carbine or Contender barrel for, a .22 K-Hornet will do the job just as well, but flatter farther and with less lead in the environment. And still little cartridges you can have a bunch of in your pocket. But it can be equaled by reduced loads from a .223, so no new hardware is required.

And there's also the fast-twist, threaded .30-30; for the money of a custom .327 barrel, you can get a 1:8-twist barrel made that will shoot the new Hornady 190gr sub component bullets, and the cartridge will drive them. It will also be outstanding with 110-130gr spire point bullets. Awesomely versatile option. That's the thing to do, but I haven't decided to do it yet, so I do nothing.

Doing nothing includes the realization that a 110gr XTP out of a .357 case from the Contender or a lever gun will be stellar at pretty much anything I'd want a .327 Fed for anyway, except six shots in a tiny revolver. And with single-base powder, the same is true out of revolvers. And then there is the Kimber/Colt/Taurus six-shot little revolver pathway...

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I have a Ruger GP100 .327 FM & 7 shot cylinder is not a over kill there’s been enough issues with the GP 100 7 shot .357!!! Any way I like mine a lot I had a SP101 3 inch barrel .327 FM 6 shot and with certain loads it can be a real hand full!!! So reloading is the way to go to get the loads you want!!! People do not realize that the .327 FM is a very high pressure load higher than a .357 Magnum that’s why I moved up to a GP100. A .327 FM in certain loads come very close to foot pounds of energy vs a .357 Magnum. So the .327 FM is no slouch it’s a pretty decent load.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My Wife caries her .327 SP101 3"

In a Miami Classic Knock-off like this one:

Or a CC Fanny Pack

Works great for her and She's small, at only 5'2"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love mine in 4.2"! I'm not sure why I bought it, other than I already had a GP-100 and Super Redhawk, and it just made sense to have "small, medium, and large" versions of basically the same firearm. For target shooting, it likes everything from primo factory .327 Fed down to my crappy cast boolit 32 S&W Long reloads.

·
Registered
85 Posts
People do not realize that the .327 FM is a very high pressure load higher than a .357 Magnum that’s why I moved up to a GP100. A .327 FM in certain loads come very close to foot pounds of energy vs a .357 Magnum. So the .327 FM is no slouch it’s a pretty decent load.
Ummm... that was the whole purpose behind the design of the .327 Federal - to try to match the muzzle energy of the .357 magnum in the smaller cross-section (thus better penetrating) .32 caliber!

The lighter bullet etc means lighter recoil than the .357mag in similar-power loads as well, in part because it takes a tad longer to reach that higher max chamber pressure*, thus the recoil impulse is spread out over a fraction more time with a lower peak recoil.

* .327Fed: 45,000psi
Ballistic performance
Bullet mass/type Velocity Energy
100 gr (6 g) JHP 1,400 ft/s (430 m/s) 435 ft⋅lbf (590 J)
115 gr (7 g) JHP 1,300 ft/s (400 m/s) 431 ft⋅lbf (584 J)
100 gr (6 g) JHP* 1,655 ft/s (504 m/s) 640 ft⋅lbf (870 J)
115 gr (7 g) JHP* 1,587 ft/s (484 m/s) 620 ft⋅lbf (840 J)
Test barrel length: 3 1/16", * 5½" Blackhawk Revolver
.327 recoil energy: 5.62 ft⋅lbf (7.62 J) with 115 gr (7.5 g; 0.26 oz) JHP

.357mag: 35,000psi
Ballistic performance
Bullet mass/type Velocity Energy
125 gr (8 g) JHP Federal 1,450 ft/s (440 m/s) 583 ft⋅lbf (790 J)
158 gr (10 g) JHP Federal 1,240 ft/s (380 m/s) 539 ft⋅lbf (731 J)
Test barrel length: 4 in (102 mm) (vented)
.357 Magnum recoil energy: 7.22 ft⋅lbf (9.79 J) with 125 gr (8.1 g; 0.29 oz) JHP

So it looks like in a 4.2" barrel the .327Fed would have ~525-537 ft lbf vs the .357mag's 539-583 ft lbf... ~92%-98% of the muzzle energy with only 78% of the recoil energy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
GarretJ, it's been over a month since this thread started; did you even decide to pick up the SP101 4" in .327 FM?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts