Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you just don't hear much about the m77 rifle. i have one in 223 caliber and it is more accurate than my 1956 winchester 22 hornet.
why doesn't this rifle get more attention?:confused:

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
you just don't hear much about the m77 rifle. i have one in 223 caliber and it is more accurate than my 1956 winchester 22 hornet.
why doesn't this rifle get more attention?:confused:
I dunno. My LGS has a nice looking one on consignment that keeps tempting me. A new American is quite a bit cheaper, though. Wouldn't surprise me if lots of folks these days just look for the new synthetic ones.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm taking a hard look at a .223 Hawkeye, wood stocked.
My LGS has had a Hawkeye ultra light .223 listed for a number of months. Maybe I should look at it.

I agree that a lot of people want synthetic, lower cost rifles.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My M77 223, the sporter model, not the target version is way more accurate than I am. With 45gr Hornady V-Max it sometimes shoots 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. That's on a calm day when my old eyes can stay focused but it is a shooter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I picked up a Ruger M77 Hawkeye All-weather in .223 Remington in mid-December of last year. So far, it hasn't been difficult finding accurate loads for it.

The first time out it put 4 shots at 100 yards in to 0.567", 0.792", and 0.661" for 3 different powder charges. Last Saturday, with a different bullet and powder, it put 3 shots at 100 yards into 0.611(?)", 0.287", and 0.245" for 3 different charges.

I can't recall if I've ever shot better 3-shot groups with any rifle than those last two. I still have more load testing to do, but this gun definitely wants to shoot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My M77 223, the sporter model, not the target version is way more accurate than I am. With 45gr Hornady V-Max it sometimes shoots 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. That's on a calm day when my old eyes can stay focused but it is a shooter.
that is far better than i am doing. i thought my 3/4" groups were as good as gold.:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts