Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another reason not to use Craigslist. Given that firearms, ammo, etc. are not supposed to be listed and the killer(s) didn't even bother to take the victim's guns, I wonder if we are getting the whole story here (just seems odd to me)

NASHVILLE – A Tennessee man was shot and killed Saturday during a meeting to sell guns to two men who answered an ad on Craigslist.
Joshua McLean, 30, of Nashville, and his brother met the two men at a Nashville shopping center Saturday night, according to a WTVF-TV report.
Joshua McLean's brother told police he heard two gunshots when Joshua got out of his car in the parking lot. Then he found his brother lying between two cars, bleeding. Officials believe Joshua was shot twice in the chest.
The men jumped into a vehicle and drove away. Joshua was taken to Vanderbilt Medical Center, where he later died from his wounds.
Police said Joshua and his brother were planning to sell guns, but they were recovered at the scene. The gun used to kill Joshua was not one of his own.
Officers are working with Craigslist to obtain any information on the people who were taking part in the transaction.
Craigslist.org has a list on its website of items users cannot advertise to sell. The list includes weapons, including "firearms, ammunition, silencers, pellet/BB guns, tear gas or stun guns."

Read more: Tennessee man shot and killed during Craigslist gun sale | Fox News

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Any outlet used can have the bad seeds not just Craigslist so can't say it's a reason to avoid that service. Be curious to know what the rest of the story is and what details emerge. I guess if anything regarding Craigslist...follow the rules and don't try and skirt their rules for what is and isn't allowed.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
I could be wrong ... but it appears to me that the perps knew the victim and ambushed him. They shot the guy when he stepped from his vehicle and drove away ... leaving the guns behind.

·
Super Moderator
16,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could be wrong ... but it appears to me that the perps knew the victim and ambushed him. They shot the guy when he stepped from his vehicle and drove away ... leaving the guns behind.
Larry ... That was my initial thought as well. Guess we'll see

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I don't believe a single bit of that story other than they met up in a parking lot. I'll wait for the facts before I make judgements, but I have a feeling there is a LOT more than we're being told. People don't show up to a sale, shoot the seller and leave without the goods. It just doesn't happen.

There's a lot missing here...

·
Registered
947 Posts
Something sounds fishy with this story. Anyway, you could be advertising something of value in any media including newspaper ads, Craigslist, or a posting tacked up at your local community board, you never know who will answer your ad. These criminals are always trolling all media outlets for opportunities to ply their trade. They even scan obituaries to find out when the home of the deceased and their family is empty during the funeral just so they can break in. I would not blame one outlet like Craigslist for the evil doing of criminals...they are savvy enough to use all of them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well that's a little too close to home...pays to be on guard friends!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah, sounds like an ambush to me too. I have used craigslist to both sell and buy things, and also found a job through them once. It's just like the old "work from home, make 10,000 a week" ads they used to run in newspaper classifieds. You have to be careful. Anything asking for too much personal info, or anything too good to be true, is a big red flag.

The other thing that is weird to me about this story, I thought craigslist refused firearms ads. I have not spent much time on their lately, but here in SW FL that was their policy.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hmmm Ive made a few sales on Armslist in the past. Im with the rest of you guys, were not hearing the whole story.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yet another reason not to use Craigslist.
I don't think Craigslist can be blamed for this. The media presents a very biased view of any type of online meetings. After all, they're not going to report on the entirely uneventful meet ups. Based on Dateline you'd think the only online love to be found involves men looking for underage action who instead meet Chris Hanson.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
2 major mistakes: Selling guns through Craigslist. Selling something at night.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That is why I have one in the chamber when I meet someone to sell anything, whether its guns or not.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I've only sold one gun to a stranger and we met in the daylight at my LGS's parking lot, since I offered to let them test fire it before closing the deal. I found him through an ad I ran on backpage.com. Everything went fine and we were both happy. This guy shouldn't have been meeting strangers at night but at least it was a public place.

I'm a trusting guy, but also a well armed guy.

I too detect the scent of tuna.

·
Super Moderator
16,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think Craigslist can be blamed for this. The media presents a very biased view of any type of online meetings. After all, they're not going to report on the entirely uneventful meet ups. Based on Dateline you'd think the only online love to be found involves men looking for underage action who instead meet Chris Hanson.
KJS ... I wasn't suggesting that Craigslist is necessarily bad and I'm confident that the vast majority of transactions are uneventful. However, issues of this nature are a stark reminder of why selling anything through online ads, social medial, etc. requires being very careful. With that said, I'm still not convinced that this one was just a random act.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The other thing that is weird to me about this story, I thought craigslist refused firearms ads. I have not spent much time on their lately, but here in SW FL that was their policy.
It takes a few days for them to pull the ad sometimes. Buddy buys and sells pellet guns and routinely posts using misspelled keywords. By the time they pull the ad, he's had some calls.

I think its a cover story for some other transaction. No way in hell I would meet a stranger in a parking lot to sell a handgun.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sounds like a planned ambush to me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts