Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First merry Christmas all!

There have been a few threads here about the new Texas open carry laws I believe. On 1/1/16 anyone with a concealed permit can open carry. Half way through next year college campus carry will be allowed.

It serms every day the news has a new business or campus to add to the opt out list. Basically all private schools have opted out. My pastor tweeted the other day that he wrote a note for the Sunday bulletin that everyone is appreciative of chl holders but to please keep them concealed. The major grocery store chain Inshop at just opted out (HEB).

We've all seen the arguments of open vs concealed. It strikes me as odd that the people voted for these laws and the businesses are all saying no way. I'm sure risk management lawyers have somethig to do with it, but what point is the law if almost all bisinesses are opting out?

·
Registered
190 Posts
This is why many ccw people here including myself were not necessarily in favor of open carry in practice. Now I do think it should be allowed as in not a punishable crime, but I got my chl three years ago and we all knew then that signs would be going up all over the place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I personally don't understand why anyone would want to open carry. It just doesn't make much sense. Still, it will be a lot easier to conceal carry when you don't have to worry about printing. Anyone planning on causing a lot of harm is going to look for the "gunslingers" and take them out first, naturally. And, I think our Law Enforcement Personnel will be politely asking for a licenses of those openly carrying a lot more often than those of us who choose to be descrete. Then come the 30.07 signs. Just not worth the hassle to show that I'm taking care of my own business. IMHO

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Concealed should mean concealed.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Tactically, it just doesn't make any sense. Someone intent on doing harm is just going to shoot the people carrying openly. It happened here in Missouri a few years ago at a town hall meeting.

I don't think it should outlawed either...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Concealed should mean concealed.
Well, until now, Concealed did mean Concealed. Now, the State of Texas is calling it "License To Carry...LTC" It will be interesting to see what happens, but this is a hard-fought win which will preclude any prosecution against "printing." Hopefully, we're hoping for eventual familiarity in the general public where the hysteria will go away. I know, Dream ON!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Well I here that its legal to open carry in Az. as well personally I do not like my gun rights threatened but the open carry to me well I prefer to conceal carry for that very reason!!! I just hope that the Open Carry works in Texas providing that someone doesn't do something stupid!!!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I believe in the right to Open Carry, I just don't do it.

Not to say I haven't carried some big guns OWB and had a button down shirt thrown on, basically sporting an obvious handgun sized bulge on my right hip, but legally I am still "concealed".........I call it more "Concealed Open Carry".

My next step may be to just wear a full rig with my P94 and a triple mag pouch, with a "Shirt Jacket" to cover it all. It's amazing what you can do with a $30 Dickie's Extra Large Tall flannel shirt jacket.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I myself do not plan to OC , but as mentioned it will make it easier on those who do print. I have one I do not carry just cause of that reason but now I will sometimes cause of the new law. However regardless depending the type of crowd I may not carry at all.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I believe in the right to Open Carry, I just don't do it.

Not to say I haven't carried some big guns OWB and had a button down shirt thrown on, basically sporting an obvious handgun sized bulge on my right hip, but legally I am still "concealed".........I call it more "Concealed Open Carry".

My next step may be to just wear a full rig with my P94 and a triple mag pouch, with a "Shirt Jacket" to cover it all. It's amazing what you can do with a $30 Dickie's Extra Large Tall flannel shirt jacket.

"Concealed Open Carry", yes, I like that. since Mo. passed open carry I sort of gave up worrying about lumps and bumps in my clothing. is it a gun or some kind of medical device, do they really want a closer look? hehehehe.
how about a big gun in a "tanker holster" covered by shirt jacket?
maybe a little bit of the cross chest strap is visible? a "gentleman wouldn't notice", huh?

(old age, for many is not the "golden years", for the most part getting old sucks. on the upside, an old guy can play into the stereotype of eccentric but lovable, goofy old duffer. I mean who's to say the old guy can't go to the store wearing his favorite teddybear on a cross chest Sam Browne belt? how many people would suspect the teddybear is really a holster for a 5-6 inch barrel high capacity pistol with red dot sight? "youth and talent is no match for old age and treachery"). happy holidays.

·
Banned
365 Posts
In AZ we not only have the right to open carry, but we also are allowed to concealed carry without a permit.

I, personally, will only OC in the rural areas of AZ, where I am carrying mainly for four legged or slithering threats, and CC in the populated areas, usually pocket carry.

Open carry, to me, is a double edged sword. I'm glad to see that it is legal; however, I can also see this being abused by many, and this abuse later resulting in OC being taken away.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Coming from years of living in NC where we have both, I learn there are appropriate times to open carry just as there are appropriate times to conceal. For those who have never open carry it might not make sense but when you are out in the woods of state parks or hunting on lands it will make carrying a lot easier. I open carry on my property and also when I am traveling on highways throughout the state. Accessing a firearm is much quicker with an owb holster being open carried on a belt than on an iwb holster tucked in. Open carrying in cities or where there are crowds is frowned upon.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Being a retired law dawg, I have no reason to advertise I'm carrying, I definitely prefer to conceal especially when I'm around other people. In fact in the later years of my career I was a Detective and we just naturally carried concealed in order to look more professional, with the exception, during the crime scene investigation, with the gun and badge exposed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well, until now, Concealed did mean Concealed. Now, the State of Texas is calling it "License To Carry...LTC" It will be interesting to see what happens, but this is a hard-fought win which will preclude any prosecution against "printing." Hopefully, we're hoping for eventual familiarity in the general public where the hysteria will go away. I know, Dream ON!
We got O/C here in Oklahoma last year. In that time I've seen exactly two people O/C. There are 3 instructors in our area and they are always busy, so I know that tons of folks are licensed. Probably Texas will see the same results. A few will do it for the novelty, 'just because they can', but it'll wear off and things will go back to normal.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For one it will make my revolver hunting much easier. I hunt on public land and after studying the rule book (which says I can revolver hunt but not plainly), calling the national forest office and being told no I can't revolver hunt, calling the game warden who had to call the national forest service for an answer and said yes I can(I held on to that voicemail as long as I could) I still only found that I can in fact revolver hunt but got no answer to if I have to conceal until its time to kill an animal or what.

Like I said in my original post, we've all heard the arguments for and against using the right to open carry in public. I am a tall guy and wear shirts marked tall and they still don't cover the muzzle of my SP when in an oustide the waistband holster. That makes it hard to carry concealed.

While I'm happy for the gun rights win, it really seems to be turning into more rules to learn and more potential to accidentally unknowingly break the law.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
If Florida ever becomes OC, I will continue trying to conceal, but with less worry perhaps, about printing or accidental exposure. I might go from front pocket carry to an OSW holster, for the sake of a quicker, easier draw. (I don't know how anyone can carry ISW, but that's just me.)
I call it, "Discreet Carry"... Impossible to define. Therefore, impossible to enforce as a law.
I would like my state to acknowledge that I have a God given right to OC, but to actually do so sounds like (asking for) trouble, to me.
My biggest fear with OC would be, a "bad guy" going for my weapon before I even knew he was there... Standing at a urinal, for instance.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
In Virginia, you do not need a permit to open carry. You do need one to conceal. I always wonder when I see an open carrier in Virginia if the carrier had attempted to get a CHP and didn't make it through the vetting process.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Why carry if you fear a criminal will disarm you. You may want to practice better situational awareness.
You know a better way to make sure you don't get disarmed while "taking care of business" at a urinal?

If Florida ever becomes OC,

My biggest fear with OC would be, a "bad guy" going for my weapon before I even knew he was there... Standing at a urinal, for instance.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.