Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 is winding down and I didn't want to let it pass without a nod to the Texas Rangers (the REAL Texas Rangers, not the baseball team) who were formed 190 years ago in 1823. In 1973 the Texas Ranger Commission authorized Smith & Wesson to produce a Model 19 Combat Magnum revolver to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Texas Rangers. The resulting Model 19-3 (the dash 3 variant ran from 1967 to 1977) is, in my opinion, one of the coolest Model 19 guns S&W made. While not especially rare (10,000 were made and serial number TR1 - TR10,000) these guns received a really spectacular, lustrous high polish blued finish and a few unique combination of features. And most were sold with a matching Bowie knife that has the same serial number as the gun.

Here's a "shooter grade" example (and it shoots really nice too) along with the knife.

On the barrel the words "Texas Rangers" appears above the caliber designation. And note all the lettering on these guns were filled with "gold" from the factory, although this example has lost a lot of the gold color.

The side plate received the Texas Rangers seal and the stock panel is fully relieved on that side to accomodate the seal rollmark. Note the Texas Rangers star medallion in lieu of the standard S&W logo.

The trigger guard is narrowed on the right side as shown in this photo. I can't recall seeing that feature on another production S&W, although there were some production over runs sold as regular 19-3.

The matching Bowie knife has the Texas Rangers seal in a large medallion on one side of the handle.

The knife came with a sheath too. Here's the set holstered up and ready for action. The holster is a vintage hand tooled and fully lined classic made by Stelzig Saddlery Co. of Houston, TX (1870 - 1992) and dates to around the same time as the revolver itself.

Here's another NIB set nestled inside the presentation case. Note the gold filled lettering is a bit easier to detect on this example and there are none of the handling marks, etc. that are obvious on the shooter.

The lid of the presentation case has the Texas Ranger seal and S&W logo on the lid.

Of interest to collectors - all the boxes, tools, papers and even the outer box in which the presentation case resides. All the "goodies" are still intact.

A group photo - the shooter and the show piece.

Other characteristics found on the Texas Ranger 19-3 include the target hammer and smooth trigger, red insert front ramp sight and white outline rear sight, pinned barrel and recessed cylinder. 50 deluxe sets were made that were fully engraved and which command a hefty premium as you would expect.

And we may as well have a family photo of all the 4" Model 19-3 Combat Magnums....

Happy 190th anniversary Texas Rangers "the oldest law enforcement organization on the North American continent with statewide jurisdiction."

·
Registered
249 Posts
Have you posted this on the Smith & Wesson forum? I'm sure it would get a lot of positive responses.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Wave:

Your NIB Texas Rangers 19-3 is a truly spectacular example! Congrats! Your shooter 19-3's look great too! Nice looking pictures too! Thanks for the excellent write-up about the Texas Rangers organization!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Very nice! Great Family photo too.

But you realize you are not supposed to take them out of the Lone Star State.
Quick, send it to me so ya won't get in trouble.:D

·
Premium Member
14,909 Posts
Wow..........I want one like that when I grow up! That is a magnificent display you have there.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Very Cool! Glad to see S&W do something so nice for the Texas Rangers...they have a great reputation!

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Waveform; You continue to amaze with your fine collection of revolvers :) Fantastic group of 19s :)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Nicely Done Wave! What, you a Museum Curator? We have to meet up some day! :)

~D

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you posted this on the Smith & Wesson forum? I'm sure it would get a lot of positive responses.
I don't post much over on the S&W forum. My experience has been that threads like this get picked apart by the know-it-alls who are eager to point out any inaccuracies or oversights. And the photos are criticised for choice of background, lighting, accessories, etc. I gave up. I lurk over there and will sometimes post a question (there are some incredibly knowledgeable members there) but generally prefer to keep my little contributions to this fine forum.

Very nice! Great Family photo too.

But you realize you are not supposed to take them out of the Lone Star State.
Quick, send it to me so ya won't get in trouble.:D
Ummmm.... my Texas Rangers are on special assignment and working out of jurisdiction. That's my story anyway.

Thanks to all for the nice comments. These TR 19-3 are favorites of mine. I'm not so much into knives but I think these Bowie knives are well made too. Nice feel to them. Not that I plan to skin a deer with one but I suppose you could. Together they make for a pretty neat package and a good value on the used market. I paid about the going rate for a similar condition 19-3 (non-TR) in both instances and got a nice knife in the deal.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
That is a really neat pair and family photo! What great looking revolvers with beautiful bluing and accents! Very nice, Wave! :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Nice guns and nice photo's. There was a auction a few weeks ago not far from me and they had a model 19. It went for $1K+!! Anyway, again nice guns and pics those are really nice.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Sensational looking combo Wave.
And as always, top notch photography.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts