Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most businesses will be open around here. People are not spending as much time with their families and don't have the time to go anywere. Is thanksgiving begininning to fade away. Broken homes, folks working, people focussed on black friday etc.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Most businesses will be open around here. People are not spending as much time with their families and don't have the time to go anywere. Is thanksgiving begininning to fade away. Broken homes, folks working, people focussed on black friday etc.
i hear ya. i hate and lament that, too. i don't know that it's going away, but we're definitely starting to miss the whole point. there really shouldn't be much of anything open tomorrow. we should all be at home with family and friends celebrating, relaxing, and appreciating what we do have, however little or much. i'm going to hit a few groceries tomorrow to pick up odd and ends, but only because i can, otherwise i'd have already done it.

i think you're totally right. we've gone off the rails a bit, ESPECIALLY with all the black friday shopping bullsh*t. can't STAND that! reprehensible in my opinion! when did we get suckered into that nonsense?! it didn't exist as a 'thing' when i was a kid in the 70s and 80s (at least not that i remember) and we all survived and businesses still made great money over the holiday shopping season. this was about the time of year we got the sears and monkey ward catalogues and poured over them, not the time we camped out in front of big box stores and congratulated ourselves that we knocked someone down to get the latest video game.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
! when did we get suckered into that nonsense?!
Who's we ? ;) . We completely stay away from the stores on Friday and as much as we can from then until January.... Never did understand the 'draw'.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Who's we ? ;) . We completely stay away from the stores on Friday and as much as we can from then until January.... Never did understand the 'draw'.
that would be the collective we. i've never once done the black friday thing. i abhor it! my fiancee and i have pajama day on friday, which is basically regardless of whether we stay in pj's all day or put regular clothes on the plan is to hang around the house and do whatever we want or nothing at all, but definitely not the retail garbage.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i'm going to try to get up good and early and go to the range on friday, on the assumption that most other folks will be standing in checkout lines, and i'll have big chunks of the range to myself. fingers crossed!

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
I'm going to try to get up good and early and go to the range on Friday
Now that sounds like a plan! Unfortunately I am going to be elsewhere for most of the weekend :( .

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
My wife and I say Bah Humbug to the whole "holiday" shopping experience.
We just hate it. Not Christmas... it's the shopping frenzy rammed down our throats.
Not going near the stores from Thanksgiving Day until about January 7th.
All anyone gets from me is a gift of some cash to buy whatever they want.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
We just hate it. Not Christmas... it's the shopping frenzy rammed down our throats.
All anyone gets from me is a gift of some cash to buy whatever they want.
i hear 'dat!

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
This year we're doing the family thing at our place ... something we haven't done for years ... so we're looking forward to it. I actually pitched it tonight and made 2 pumpkin pies all by myself ... without adult female supervision. :eek:

As for Black Friday ... we never participate. In the next few days I'll just make a few mouse clicks and the shopping will be all done. God bless the Internet. :D

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts

·
Reloading Addict
10,713 Posts
We don't bother with the black Fri. crap either. Staying home and relaxing. All my kids will be home for dinner. Turkey is in the oven now and wife is busy in the kitchen. She made pies yesterday(ohh boy!). Today is a day for Family, food, and being thankful for what we have. I don't go back to work until next Weds. Mon. is the first day of gun season here in Pa.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The bird is in the oven. Ive been thinking about eating turkey since early Oct. Plenty of football today, bought the booze last night, & im not going anywhere. I think I might put a nice coat of Renaissance Wax on my Redhawk, and spiffy it up while I watch the PRST channel now.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
We don't bother with the black Fri. crap either. Staying home and relaxing. All my kids will be home for dinner. Turkey is in the oven now and wife is busy in the kitchen. She made pies yesterday(ohh boy!). Today is a day for Family, food, and being thankful for what we have. I don't go back to work until next Weds. Mon. is the first day of gun season here in Pa.
you've clearly got this all worked out-- that's the exact right itinerary for thanksgiving!:)

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
What he said works for me.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Seems like it's all about $$$ these days. I'm in my mid-40s, but as a kid, I well recall that most businesses were closed on Sundays. You sure don't see that much anymore. I think what you're seeing goes along those same lines.:(

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Too many people letting "stuff" run their entire life, not just the holidays. The next five weeks they'll spend more time in stores than anywhere else, risking life, limb, and fenders for a "bargain". I got sick of it years ago.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.